The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No love for the Schneider Apo Digitar 90/4.5 N?

Pemihan

I often see praise for the Schneider 72mm Apo Digitar but seldom info on the Schneider Apo Digitar 90/4.5 N.
Why would that be? Is it just not as popular or?

Peter

Last edited:

danlindberg

Re: No love for the 90mm f5.6 Schneider Apo-Digitar?

If you mean the Schneider Apo Digitar 90/4.5 N, then I have shot with that for an extended period of time. Including the version PC-TS 90/4.5 which I believe is the same lens.

Great lenses! the PC-TS didn't feel as solid as I would have liked, it wiggled from end to end, but no complaints with results. Pinsharp and excellent rendering. Can't remember max movements now but I used mine with Alpa FPS and Credo 60.
The tech 90 had the same feel and rendering as my 72 (Helvetar 75).

Pemihan

Re: No love for the 90mm f5.6 Schneider Apo-Digitar?

Hi Dan,

Yes it's the Schneider Apo Digitar 90/4.5 N tech lens I mean, my mistake! I have corrected the post.

Peter

stngoldberg

Re: No love for the Schneider Apo Digitar 90/4.5 N

I sold the 72mm Schneider to upgrade to the Schneider 90...IMHO the 90 is much sharper without the red cast, I always seemed to get on my copy of the 72mm
The image circle on the 90 is very generous.
Stanley

Steve Hendrix

Re: No love for the Schneider Apo Digitar 90/4.5 N

If you can find one, the 90/4.5 N is a worthy alternative to the much more expensive Rodenstock 90 HR-SW. And if you happen to be using a Cambo Actus, let's just say I find the very affordable Cambo Actar 90 to closely resemble the 90/4.5 Digitar N. Good performance close up as well, which makes it even more ideal for an Actus setup.

https://www.digitalback.com/product/cambo-actar-90/

Steve Hendrix/CI

Pemihan

Thanks guys, I have a hole in my lens line up between the 60XL and the 120 Asperic. Not that I'm in a position to get one now, but the SK90mm would fit right in.

Peter

narikin

At one point I owned all 3 of the 90mm tech lens options, and can say that the Schneider 90mm is really excellent. I sold the blue ring Roddy 90, as that is easily the worst, the yellow ring HRSW is by popular opinion the finest lens available for MF today, but the SK option is very close. It simply doesn't have such a big image circle, though it is 2/3 stop faster, and much, much lighter!

I kept mine, along with the HRSW. Use both.

good luck