The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Buying H6D from someone I have never met

ndwgolf

Guys
My name is Neil and I live in Phuket Thailand. I was looking for a new H6D 100c and a guy called Peter Lorber from Florida contacted me via Get GPI and offered me a fantastic deal on a new H6D and a couple of lenses.
I had Peter ship the camera body to someone in Main ( also someone that I have never met) who happened to contact me through the Leica Forum saying he was going to Phuket and wondered if I could meet up with him in Phuket for a beer and suggest places to visit while in Thailand.
I had Peter send it to David and David hand carried it for me. Pictures below;
Peter Lorber was just fantastic to deal with. Very accommodating to my needs ........ I couldn’t be more happy

Neil

Attachments

msstudio

This probably doesn't make me as happy as you but nonetheless, I love stories like that. Thanks for sharing and all parties involved. After all the world is a great place, despite all the drama and news. Love my photo peeps...Now go out and shoot till you used up the 1.000.000 warranty coverage and beyond...

BANKER1

That reminds me of the time back in 1990 when I called a jeweler about two and a half hours away, whom I had never met. He was selling me a new Rolex stainless Submariner. He said he would send it to me, but when I inquired about giving him my credit card number, he said, "I'll send an invoice with the watch. Just send me a check when you get the invoice." I'm quite certain that would not happen today.

Greg

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Greg,

I remember those days. There are still a few very principled trusting folks out there, especially even here on GetDPI that would likely still do the same. :thumbup:

dj may

Guys
My name is Neil and I live in Phuket Thailand. I was looking for a new H6D 100c and a guy called Peter Lorber from Florida contacted me via Get GPI and offered me a fantastic deal on a new H6D and a couple of lenses.
I had Peter ship the camera body to someone in Main ( also someone that I have never met) who happened to contact me through the Leica Forum saying he was going to Phuket and wondered if I could meet up with him in Phuket for a beer and suggest places to visit while in Thailand.
I had Peter send it to David and David hand carried it for me. Pictures below;
Peter Lorber was just fantastic to deal with. Very accommodating to my needs ........ I couldn’t be more happy

Neil
Way to go Neil. Looking forward to the photos.
Jesse

ndwgolf

That reminds me of the time back in 1990 when I called a jeweler about two and a half hours away, whom I had never met. He was selling me a new Rolex stainless Submariner. He said he would send it to me, but when I inquired about giving him my credit card number, he said, "I'll send an invoice with the watch. Just send me a check when you get the invoice." I'm quite certain that would not happen today.

Greg
Greg I bought a $5k Leica 21mm Sumerlux from a guy in Germany that I met on the Leica Forum. I was on an Oil Rig in Nigeria at the time and not able to wire him the money until I got home, through chatting online he knew that I was going on a trip as soon as I got home so he just surprised me and sent me the lens without me paying him a penny so that the lens was waiting for me when I got home.......of course I paid him as soon as I got home.

Neil

Dustbak

I once bought a HC50-110 from a guy on GetDPI (David). He sent me the lens before I could pay. Needless to say I paid as soon as I could. I recently bought a H6D100 from another David with whom I have had many online communication over the years. We have never met but have sold each other quite a few high priced items.

Many years ago I bought a diving compressor together with a Nitrox filter from a company in the US. They shipped it in parts to Italy where another friend picked it up after the local factory had it assembled.

I bought my first HB back from Gary John Norman about 12 years ago. I wired him the money (25k USD was a lot of money for me) and trusted it would turn out fine. Which it did. Over the years we kept in touch until I heard last year that he suddenly passed away.

I have done hundreds of deals in the past 25 years small and large, the only time I was ever screwed was buying a small Nikon flash from someone in the Netherlands (my own homecountry)...

Most people I have dealt with are really friendly and trustworthy. Having done business with them has landed me some pretty special friends from all over the world. It is good to know more people have had similar experiences, amidst all the negativity and bad news. There is a lot of good in the world, it is a pity only the negative stuff is shown as news.

Paratom

I just lost 2200 Euro paying money to an unknown person from an internet forum (not here) for a AVM stereo receiver.He communicated quite nice, sent me a copy of a fake id card (I guess), signed a contract and disappeared after receiving the money.
I also did many good deals specially here, but at the same time I would like you guys to be carefull and dont be as stupid like me.
I did a normal money transfer so I cant get anything back.