The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 lens question(s)

Duff photographer

Okay, this is a really long one so prepare yourself...

This is also a bit of a hybrid post as this could equally be posted under one of the 35mm forums so please bear with me. I should also note that I am an image quality* (IQ) freak - I don't care much about high mega-pixel counts but I do care about native resolution bite (not contrast), realistic look (not plastic), etc. I'm not too bothered about enlargement capability - 18" to 24" is more than ample and anything larger required is catered for by my large format gear. I'd much rather have a 12" image that has utterly, draw-droppingly stunning 3D IQ than a 24 inches of low tonal nasty contrasty plastic 'meh' (yes, I know, that's partly down to poor image processing and camera system limitations).

To put it all into perspective I cover the whole range of photography, invariably natural history related. Landscape and 'large print' capability is covered by my large format gear. My bird/mammal/reptile photography is covered by my Nikon (APS-C) telephoto's (200 to 600mm). My macro stuff is sort of covered by my Nikon gear using non-Nikon lenses (a couple of Schneiders) but I'll touch upon this later. The inbetween general photography stuff is catered for by my Zeiss ZF lenses (25 to 85mm).

I've been reassessing my (35mm) camera gear lately! One of the reasons for this is the lack of IQ (photographer's failings aside) for many of my images. The Nikons are very good but they rely more on contrast and lack out-and-out resolution, bar maybe the 200mm f2 and to some extent the 300mm f2.8. I can't do much about this - the only other lenses that equal or better them are the expensive Leica R APO-Telyts - some images I've seen taken with these lenses make my heart drop! The Zeiss ZF lenses are generally excellent and IQ was better than the best equivalent Nikons (for more reasons than you think) when I test compared them way back when. However, even these vary in quality - the 35mm, while still excellent, is not up there with the best of the other focal lengths, or 35mms from other makers (e.g., Leica R). Same with the first version of their 85mm. I've never really been happy with either as they lacked the real bite my 50mm macro and 25mm can have. I did have a 100mm macro but the 1:2 mag' ratio and major purple fringing made me send it back. I did say that I am finicky didn't I?!! My Schneiders for macro are what they are - the main one being the Apo-Digitar 120mm. While this is one of Schneider's sharpest digitars (I use the term 'sharp' generically), sharper than most 35mm macros, it covers up to 6x9 on film which means that 35mm Full Frame (FF), let alone APS-C, is just not making full use of it. Consequently, it lacks that bite that my Contax 645 (C645) 120mm Makro has.

...and now were getting close to the crux of the question. Way back when I was more naive than I am now I had a C645 system. I wasn't naive to own it but I was when I stupidly sold it (for a stupidly low price). I had heard the word 'on the sreet and interweb' was that 35mm digital was as good as or better than MF. My subsequent experiences of 35mm digital proved this was a load of codswallop and I regretted selling it although I held on to my 120mm makro. Even with today's lenses, nothing I have is able to better (or at least by a large margin) the C645 120mm macro, for example.

I missed the resolution, micro-contrast, and 'feel' of the IQ of my C645 lenses :-( ...and the quality of those 645 slides compared with my APS-C sized digital is better, despite the disadvantage of film grain and advantage of the larger 'sensor' size of 56x42mm. It's also that 'look' that really wows people above the stuff I've taken with even the best of my Nikons, and enourages them to buy my images. The only lens series I feel come close to it, other than the Zeiss Z series, is the Leica R. However, to obtain the best of Leica's Rs means spending a 4-figure sum for each lens! C645 lenses, on the other hand, are relatively dirt cheap, except the 80mm (whose astonomical price still befuddles me). I have little to play with financially and the idea was to sell off some would-be-surplus equipment and with that buy some second-hand C645 lenses with the money recouped.

I have therefore been playing around with the idea, for some time now, to adapt C645 lenses to a FF 35mm digital. [1.] The bloke in China ('Steelchan') who made full C645/Nikon adapters appears no longer to be active. [2.] Fringer do a full adapter for the Sony-E mount cameras and [3.] Leica, of course, have their adapter for their 'super-35mm' Leica S. Point 1 is not an option; point 2 is possible with a second-hand Sony; and point 3 is lots of money, even second-hand. I could get a C645 film body but they are no longer serviced, parts are drying up, and despite all that, prices are through the roof (an early Leica S2 can be had for the same price as an 'as new' C645 body!! Go figure.). Point 2 (Fringer/Sony) seems be the most viable option. I can retain my Nikon APS-C for wildlife and macro and use the Sony FF for some macro and all general photography.

SO.... the question is, bearing in mind that I am only familiar with C645 on film, do the C645 lenses really cross-over well to 35mm FF format in the real world? Do they retain their character on the smaller sensor? How do they compare with the equivalents (or as near as) in the Zeiss Z, or Leica R range (if known), for example, does the C645 120mm makro keep up with or as good as the Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm in retaining that resolution and 'look'? In short, how does the C645 lens line-up compare with the best of the equivalent 35mm on FF 35mm? (Disclaimer: yes, i know, on paper the 35mm lenses should out-perform lenses that cover a larger sensor area but the reality is that many MF lenses outperform most 35mm lenses.). If money were no obstacle then I'd get the best of the best but this is as much an economic issue as it is an IQ issue. I again stress that I'm not interested in mega-pixels and how big I can print but only in image quality - tonal range, resolution, clarity, 3D effect, that visually perceptible but elusive quality that sets an image (other than subject matter) above others.

What would also be interesting, and to cover all my options, is with reference to the Leica S, how do C645 lenses on that system compare with the equivalent best lenses (Zeiss Z, Leica R, some Nikons) on the (smaller) FF format? Is that extra 25% of the Leica S sensor enough to make a difference (assuming the best of the Leica/Zeiss 35mm lenses outperfom the C645 ones on a FF 35mm sensor)? Note that I'm leaving out the Leica S lenses themselves. While they appear to speak for themselves and truly are some of the best lenses made the price makes these a total non-option for me.

This C645 IQ question has been raised several times on the 'web but very few comparisons have been made with 35mm lenses. By the way, from some limited experimenting several years ago, I do know C645 standard lenses out-perform equivalent Nikon standard 35mm lenses in resolution and other factors (that test obviously excludes any Nikkors produced since then).

Please also note that I have tried to compare images from the likes of websites like 'Flickr' but variables such as quality of the native image (shake, poor focusing, too high an ISO, etc.), image processing skills, size of the image uploaded, and Flickr's own software mucking about with the jpegs, makes comparing them unrealistic, good or bad.

Many thanks for your patience and my apologies for the long-winded post but I guess it's best to give too much qualifying information than too little.

Any experience and insight greatly appreciated. :)

Many thanks,
Duff.

*Edit: Image quality, in this case, could equally be exchanged for image character.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The LUF l-camera-forum.com has some users who primarily shoot Contax lenses on the S. They perform extremely well, especially the 35 and the 120. I have those and the 140. The 140 has a lot of CA visible in the OOF areas, but the other two lenses are first rate - different from the Leica lenses, but not inferior, in my opinion. It’s too bad the Contax adapter for the S is so expensive.

Matt

Duff photographer

Thanks Matt.

I didn't say in the OP but I had the 35, 80 and 120mm. All performed very well on film, generally best of all MF lenses at that time (if you didn't mind one or two of the lenses going 'off' at the corners), although I was never a fan of the 80mm wide open.

I assume you are comparing the 35 and 120mm to the Leica S. If so, while of different character, do you consider them to be of similar resolution, sensor resolution allowing of course? It would be interesting to know as sensor resolution on the Sony A9 and various Nikons (Df to D5), which have the same size or larger pixel site, would be the limiting factor rather than the resolution of the lens itself making the relevant C645 lenses viable. I realise that comment is an over-simplification as other things are at work as well, such as 'CCD vs CMOS', but you get my drift I hope.

Not that I want to get into technicalities or 35mm on a MF forum ;)

Duff

The LUF l-camera-forum.com has some users who primarily shoot Contax lenses on the S. They perform extremely well, especially the 35 and the 120. I have those and the 140. The 140 has a lot of CA visible in the OOF areas, but the other two lenses are first rate - different from the Leica lenses, but not inferior, in my opinion. It’s too bad the Contax adapter for the S is so expensive.

Matt

Last edited:

MGrayson

Yes. I think the 35 and 120 Contax are comparable to their S counterparts in sharpness, at least as far as I could tell using them on the S. I never used the 80, but I have a friend who used it on the S and loved it.

—Matt

Audii-Dudii

On the one hand, I'm probably among the most qualified to answer your question, because I have in my possession a Sony A7R, a 1st generation E-mount to Contax N Fringer adapter, a NAM-1 adapter, several Contax 645 lenses (35, 45, 55, 80, 140, 210), several Contax N lenses (17-35, 24-85, 50, 70-200, 70-300), several C/Y lenses (18, 21, 25, 28, 35, 45, 50), several Zeiss ZK and converted ZF lenses (21, 25, 35, 85, 135), and several Sigma Art lenses (24, 35, 50, 24-35).

On the other hand, I'm probably the least qualified to answer your question because 1) While I am very picky and know what I like, I'm not always able to articulate very well the reasons why I like what I like, and 2) I'm a bit of an outlier in the subjects I photograph and the way I use my camera gear. (I use my A7R as a digital back and mount it on several "FrankenKameras" (Toyo VX-23D, Cambo Actus, Cambo WDS) that I've modified to accept the A7R in place of a medium-format digital back on their back and various 35mm and medium-format lenses on their front.)

Of all the lenses I have, the Contax 645 35, 55, and 80 lenses are my favorites. However, they are also my least frequently used lenses because I photograph mostly at night and their slower apertures (35, 55) and long focal length (80) are problematic for me. Ditto the fact that I have to preset the apertures before I mount them on my cameras, unless I'm photographing a very brightly lighted scene.

While they are generally bulky and heavy relative to most 35mm format lenses (especially the C/Y lenses, which are downright diminutive by comparison), their image quality hits all the correct notes for me and my particular taste-and-preference. The 55, in particular, is almost magical to my eyes, because it resolves distant details as well as it does nearby details, and it has the most amazing depth of field, which appears to exceed even that which the math states is possible. That they also have 645-sized image circles is another huge plus for me, as most of my photos take advantage of the (tilt/swing/rise/fall/shift) movements that my modified cameras offer.

That said, when these lenses are used more typically than I usually do via my Fringer and NAM-1 adapters, their autofocus is slow and their narrow apertures make shallow DoF photos impossible when they're projecting an image onto a 35mm-size sensor. I can imagine they will prove disappointing to many photographers who are used to more zippy lenses, in both senses of the word. As such, I think the only way you'll be able to determine whether or not they will work for you is to try them yourself.

If you're interested in seeing how they perform before you commit to purchasing them, I believe there are still a few places around that have rental lenses available, so you might look into that as an option.

Anyway, as I said, there are many others who can explain in detail much better than I can the plusses and minusses of using Contax 645 lenses with today's best 35mm camera bodies, so all I'm doing here is giving the idea a big thumbs-up and encouraging you to pursue it further.

Good luck!

JG

Alan

I'll echo the general thumbs-up for C645 lenses on FF35mm. I have the 35, 55 and 120 and use them with a Steel Chen adapter on Nikon (sold my C-mount digiback).

For perspective, I mainly use the PCE lenses (19, 24, 45, 85), and don't have any other Zeiss, Leica or newest Nikon "E" superstars (28, 105, 70-200).

I don't use the C645s as much as I'd like, since I usually need movements (don't currently have a shift setup to work with the C645s). I take them out for walks occasionally, and have always been happy with their look, color, contrast & resolution. They have less CA than typical Nikons (the 120 has no CA). One thing to be cautious with the C645s is they flare pretty easily: 35mm mainly veiling flare, 55 will get a nasty hot spot from open sky. I generally use a flag to prevent this.

MGrayson

Leica S(006), Contax 35 @ f/11

Leica S(006), Contax 140 @ f/11

Both hand-held.

--Matt

Audii-Dudii

Actually, the camera could be used on my LF 'FrakenKamera' system as well. Hmmm - I'll have to sit down and think now (or wait for the thought to go away).
Which LF camera do you use? I ask, because even with my Toyo VX-23D (which was designed for use with medium format digital backs, hence is much more compact and geared toward the use of lenses with shorter flange-to-sensor distances than most view cameras) and Sony A7R, the front and rear standards ended up touching (see the photo below) and I have to use a recessed lens board to achieve infinity focus with my Contax 645 lenses:

Unfortunately, using a Nikon DSLR body, with its 46.5mm flange-to-sensor distance (i.e., 28.5mm longer than the Sony E-mount distance), would make it impossible to focus at infinity with this setup and I can't think of any large-format alternative that'll work any better, especially after the thickness of adding a C645 lens mount is factored into the equation. (FYI, for the sake of convenience, I used a 13mm extension tube and removed the rear bayonet, screwing it directly to the lens board using the existing holes and screws, and it works well.)

Image quality wise, I think you'll find the Contax 645 lenses will more than meet your expectations. Yes, as noted above, they must be used with care to achieve optimal results (but isn't this true of all lenses?) and some of them aren't quite up to the standard set by the best of them, but as a family of lenses, I find them to perform very well overall, IMO.

As for comparing the Contax 645 lenses to their Zeiss Z-series equivalents, I actually prefer the C645 lenses (and Contax N lenses). For a long time, I chased after sharpness and snappy contrast (which ultimately lead me to the Sigma Art lenses, which are indeed impressive in those respects), but after a year or so of working with them, I've concluded they're actually a bit too sharp and contrasty for my taste -- ditto for the Zeiss Z-series lenses -- thus I have reverted all the way back to using 70s and 80s era Contax / Yashica lenses. I find their less sharp, less contrasty, more film-like character takes the hard, digital edge off my photos without sacrificing much, if any, resolution. (I've recently been experimenting with the Pentax Limited Trio as well -- 31, 43, and 77 focal lengths -- and they may well be a happy medium among all my lenses, except the image circles they project are a bit too small to be useful for many of the photos I take because I photograph a lot of architectural-type subject matter and therefore am a heavy user of rise/fall/shift movements. <sigh>)

I only have one Leica R lens: The 28/f2.8 PC lens, which really isn't a Leica lens at all, but a Schneider one repackaged for Leica. That said, I do like its character, but it is very different than the Contax / Zeiss look that I have come to prefer over the past 40 years.

Although I believe you really need to take your own test photos to achieve any meaningful results, if you'd like, I will be happy to take some photos with my C645 lenses and A7R* body and make the full-size RAWs available to you for evaluation. Just let me know and give me a few days to find the time to do it.

* FYI, I am still using an A7R because most of my photography is done late at night using only ambient light and IMO, the A7R performs better overall for this application than either the A7RII and A7RIII do ... who knew?!

Duff photographer

Leica S(006), Contax 35 @ f/11

Leica S(006), Contax 140 @ f/11

Both hand-held.

--Matt
Ooooh - that's the 35mm I remember! Thanks Matt.

Which LF camera do you use? I ask, because... [clip] ...than either the A7RII and A7RIII do ... who knew?!
The LF is a digital platform, the Plaubel 69D. It lends itself well to adaptation. I have two, the additional one was bought for very little money as they don't seem to be popular or well known. I've therefore been able to adapt one standard to take 4"x5" and am in the process of adapting another for 5"x8" and 4"x10". I still have the original MF digi back standard of course and in the past was considering a digital back (e.g., P25+) but they're currently holding their prices and getting older (and more liable to failure I guess). A Sony-e on the back of the FrankenKamera would negate me using the widest LF lenses but that's not too much of an issue as in some situations I'll be able to stitch extensively enough on a longer LF lens to the equivalent of a wide angle (micro-lenses and all that allowing) - or use film! If I can use part of a system on another system then I'm all for it.

Yes, I find the Zeiss Zs a bit too contrasty for my liking as well. I much prefer a high resolving lens with lower contrast and dial in my own contrast during processing. It's one of the things I like about those Leica R lenses (and S lenses) where just the merest touch of sharpening makes the image 'pop'. Of course they all have their other characteristics that add to the overall image.

Although I believe you really need to take your own test photos to achieve any meaningful results, if you'd like, I will be happy to take some photos with my C645 lenses and A7R* body and make the full-size RAWs available to you for evaluation. Just let me know and give me a few days to find the time to do it.
That really would be very kind of you. I wouldn't want you to go out of your way but if you really are happy about it then yes! Please, no hurry. I guess I would be interested in all the lenses but I certainly would like to see 35mm (although Matt has already provided a very good example - thanks again Matt!), the 55mm, 140mm (although this is perhaps too close to my 120mm to bother with) and the 210mm (I've also heard good things about this lens with the 1.4x mutar). 80mm would be nice but that's beyond my finances to consider. My subjects tend to have a lot of texture in them - bark, fur, feather, rocks and so on, if that helps to decide subject matter.

...and don't worry if life gets in the way and you end up with no time to do it. ;)

* FYI, I am still using an A7R because most of my photography is done late at night using only ambient light and IMO, the A7R performs better overall for this application than either the A7RII and A7RIII do ... who knew?!
Yep - I'll need to have a look at what's available in that line and what best suits my requirements.

Thanks again Matt and JG. :)

Last edited:

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Cannot answer for Contax lenses as I only own Hasselblad V-series lenses. Just as an example the Hasselblad 120/4 macro is a simple Planar with 6 lenses while the Contax 645 Apo Macro Planar has two additional lenses, apochromatic correction and a floating element so it can keep field curvature constant.

I would not say that the Zeiss lenses for Hasselblad were sharper than present day 24x36 lenses.

This is the Planar 120/4 at f/11 on the P45+:
Planar 120/4 at f/11, focus crop
Sony 90/2.8G at f/8, focus crop

This is the Planar 100/3.5 at f/11 on the P45+
Planar 100/3.5 at f/11 on P45+

Distagon 40/4CF at f/11 on the P45+, center crop
Canon 16-35/4 at f/8 on the A7rII, center crop

Distagon 40/4CF at f/11 on the P45+, off center crop
Canon 16-35/4 at 25 mm and at f/8, off center crop

Here, the medium format lenses were used with a medium format sensor, having 39 MP resolution. The P45+ has 6.8 micron pixels and the A7rII has 4.5 microns, so that camera would put a higher demand on the lenses.

I had Distagons 40/4CF, 50/4CF, 60/3.5CF, Planars 80/2.8CFE, 100/3.5CF, 120/4CF, 120/4CFi and Sonnars 120/4CF, 180/CF. I would say that of those lenses the two Sonnars and the Planar 100/3.5CF were the good ones.

Contax lenses may of course be different. If you have the lenses it is worth trying.

Best regards
Erik

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Cannot answer for Contax lenses as I only own Hasselblad V-series lenses. Just as an example the Hasselblad 120/4 macro is a simple Planar with 6 lenses while the Contax 645 Apo Macro Planar has two additional lenses, apochromatic correction and a floating element so it can keep field curvature constant.

I would not say that the Zeiss lenses for Hasselblad were sharper than present day 24x36 lenses.

This is the Planar 120/4 at f/11 on the P45+:
Planar 120/4 at f/11, focus crop
Sony 90/2.8G at f/8, focus crop

This is the Planar 100/3.5 at f/11 on the P45+
Planar 100/3.5 at f/11 on P45+

Distagon 40/4CF at f/11 on the P45+, center crop
Canon 16-35/4 at f/8 on the A7rII, center crop

Distagon 40/4CF at f/11 on the P45+, off center crop
Canon 16-35/4 at 25 mm and at f/8, off center crop

The crops are all actual pixels.

Here, the medium format lenses were used with a medium format sensor, having 39 MP resolution. The P45+ has 6.8 micron pixels and the A7rII has 4.5 microns, so that camera would put a higher demand on the lenses.

I had Distagons 40/4CF, 50/4CF, 60/3.5CF, Planars 80/2.8CFE, 100/3.5CF, 120/4CF, 120/4CFi and Sonnars 120/4CF, 180/CF. I would say that of those lenses the two Sonnars and the Planar 100/3.5CF were the good ones.

Contax lenses may of course be different. If you have the lenses it is worth trying.

Best regards
Erik

Duff photographer

Hi,

Cannot answer for Contax lenses as I only own Hasselblad V-series lenses... [clip] ...lenses may of course be different. If you have the lenses it is worth trying.

Best regards
Erik
Thanks Erik. Interesting comparisons. Odd how some lenses that are highy regarded on film fall apart on digital. The 40mm I believe was one of those lenses and fell off quite badly at the corners. What really surprises me though is that the Hassy Planar 120mm is not too far behind what is considered to be one of the best (if not the best) 35mm 90/100mm macros in terms of resolution! :shocked:

I suspect the C645 lenses will be different. I recall a test a while ago where it was shown that the C645s (I think it was the 35mm, 45mm, 80mm, and 120mm), in comparison with equivalent Hasselblad V lenses, had much higher resolution in the centre but fell off at the corner to a resolution lower than the Hassys. In short, the Hassys were consistent across the image, as they would have to be to cover 6x6, but even the C645s still fell off at the corners on 6x4.5. The line-pairs were measured in the 70-80 lp/mm region where the Hassys were in the 50-60 region (or thereabouts) - best to interpret that as relative rather than absolute. This was reflected in the field - the Hassys I used on the C645 were never as sharp as the C645s and my 120mm macro, while wonderful in the centre 80%(ish), is iffy in the corners (photographing a fossil on a flat rock, for example, showed it up well). On a 35mm or most MF backs/super-35mms, those corners will be outside the frame. That said, I still like the look of the Hassy lenses - being Zeiss of course helps!

I think I’ll hold onto it a while longer. :D

I’m traveling now, but will try to pull up some example images next week.
That's great! Thanks Alan. :)

Last edited:

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Could be! I have looked at the Contax MTF data, it is available here: https://www.zeissimages.com/mtf.php

The Contax 645 Macro is a major improvement over the Hasselblad one, at least when used as an universal lens. My experience with the Planar 120 has four aspects:

• It has signicant field curvature at long distances.
  • On reproduction shots I have found that it is a bit dull, lacks the snap of a modern lens. This is more perceived than measured.
  • It can be very sharp.
  • It has a high level of veiling flare.

I did a comparison shot of all my lenses around 100 mm. The one that falled short was the Canon 24-105/4L. The 90/2.8G is sharp and good, but my sample has a tilted focal plane. A lens I really like is the Contax 35-135/3.3-4.5L zoom for the Contax RTS.

What I also see is that the old designs are rather prone to veiling flare and lateral chroma is always around. So, I may feel that the older lenses may do a great job under benign conditions, but the newer lenses are way ahead in more demanding conditions.

Just to note, when I wnt to A7rII, I bought two lenses for peak performance. The Canon 24/3.5 TSE LII and the Sony 90/2.8G. For both lenses, the samples I got are a disappointment. The lens that really shines on the A7rII is the Canon 16-35/4L. I have long considered Sigma 24-105/4L, but I was a bit in doubt about it's merits. A few hours ago, Roger Ciala posted some data about that 24-105/4 Sigma that are earth shattering good. God enough for me to order that lens! Actually the best MTF I ever have seen for an affordable lens! Hope that Roger is right, else I can cancel...

Just to say, I feel a bit burned about the MFD experience. What I found is that my MFD stuff was as good or as bad as I would have expected based on physics and the scarse MTF data available for MFD. My experience is that measurements are correct and enthusiast are wrong. But, I am an engineer, not an artist...

Best regards
Erik

I suspect the C645 lenses will be different. I recall a test a while ago where it was shown that the C645s (I think it was the 35mm, 45mm, 80mm, and 120mm), in comparison with equivalent Hasselblad V lenses, had much higher resolution in the centre but fell off at the corner to a resolution lower than the Hassys. In short, the Hassys were consistent across the image, as they would have to be to cover 6x6, but even the C645s still fell off at the corners on 6x4.5. The line-pairs were measured in the 70-80 lp/mm region where the Hassys were in the 50-60 region (or thereabouts) - best to interpret that as relative rather than absolute. This was reflected in the field - the Hassys I used on the C645 were never as sharp as the C645s and my 120mm macro, while wonderful in the centre 80%(ish), is iffy in the corners (photographing a fossil on a flat rock, for example, showed it up well). On a 35mm or most MF backs/super-35mms, those corners will be outside the frame. That said, I still like the look of the Hassy lenses - being Zeiss of course helps!

That's great! Thanks Alan. :)

Duff photographer

Hi,

Could be!... [clip] ...But, I am an engineer, not an artist...

Best regards
Erik
Interesting. Thanks Erik. I always wonder about quality control with the likes of Nikon, Canon, and now Sony, the latter having produced some lenses that best what Nikon/Canon have produced - quite noticeably in some cases. I'll always wonder what I'm getting.

Having seen some images taken with Sony FE lenses (Sony and Zeiss) I find myself distinctly disappointed with my Nikon telephotos, where before, in isolation, I was quite satisfied. Maybe they need calibration or maybe that Sony sensor is doing something others aren't... ...but that's another thread and a different forum ;)

...and just been over to lensrentals - that Sigma does look handy!

Last edited:

sog1927

Thanks Erik. Interesting comparisons. Odd how some lenses that are highy regarded on film fall apart on digital. The 40mm I believe was one of those lenses and fell off quite badly at the corners.
I think you might be confusing the 40mm CF FLE with the later (and much improved) 40mm CFE IF. The 40mm CF is soft in the corners.
Compare the MTF data from the lens data sheets:

http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/pdf/lds/CF40.pdf
http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/pdf/lds/CFE40IF.pdf

The CFE is better across the board, but particularly in the corners.

chrismuc

I don't use Contax 645 lenses on a 135 format body, but on the Fuji GFX with its 5.3um sensor they work very well.
Example: Contax 645 140f2.8
@ f2.8 rather sharp across the frame, a bit less contrast than stopped down to f4 or f5.6; also slightly blown highlight edges and some green/magenta axial coma, but both effects are rather gone at f4 and fully at f5.6
@ f4 maybe not 'clinically perfect' like the Fuji GF 110f2 but very nice
The other Contax 645 primes are similar, the 35 f3.5 and the 120f4 Apo-Makro have probably best IQ.

@ f4
m_DSF7760-GFX+C645-140f2.8@f4.jpg

100% crop @ f2.8
c_DSF7760-GFX+C645-140f2.8@f2.8.jpg

100% crop @ f4
c_DSF7760-GFX+C645-140f2.8@f4.jpg

Info for car enthusiasts: That's the upcoming 1series sedan which BMW recently released in China, later elsewhere.

Alan

Here are a few C645 landscape samples, all on a D810:

55mm @ f/16 (row of portrait shots stitched)

55mm @ f/5.6 (two landscape shots stitched)

55mm @ f/4 (row of portrait shots stitched)

120mm @ f/5.6 (two landscape shots stitched)

I think I have some comparisons w/ Nikon lenses somewhere - I'll post some if I can find them.

If your goal is to make fine medium-sized prints that fulfill the potential of classic Zeiss lenses, there’s not much point peeping at Internet JPGs. Echoing chrismuc, I suggest you simply try out your remaining Zeiss 645 lenses on a GFX body.

For FF I’d been using adapted Zeiss C/Y and Leica lenses on A7r2, and now I’ve been ‘auditioning’ adapted 645 lenses on my GFX. For the image quality you discussed in original post, IMO it’s worth the expense to go with the larger sensor. The difference is in tonal transitions more than in apparent resolution. If you want the classic Zeiss ‘3D’ look, You should be able to achieve it very well this way.

Kirk

PS, if GFX seems expensive then just wait a bit. There’s little or no advantage to be gained from 100 MP, but when this becomes available some folks will be disposing of 50s bodies.

Last edited: