The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech cam shoulder bag

0beone

Greetings all,

I am looking for a shoulder bag preferably weather tight, in which I can put a Cambo WRS with DB and say Rodie 40 HR-W attached and if possible with room for say a SK 120 and additional spacer.
I am hoping that some of you good folks may have some ideas / photos etc of what works for you.

Not really into serious hiking but also can't carry the Pelican over rough ground all the time.

Cheers and thanks in advance
Frank

thrice

Hi Frank,

I shot with my Alpa STC, 35XL, 50mm and 110mm living in an ONA Leather Brixton for a year or so and I think I have Scoliosis as a result.
Is there a particular reason you don't want to consider a backpack? Or a (much less fashionable) hip pack?

If you are set on a shoulder bag then I would suggest the Thinktank Signature 11 and Signature 13 if you're after something that looks nice and isn't too heavy.

My suggestion is to avoid heavy bags like the all-leather ones.

All the best,
Dan

tylerallenmohr

I like my Tenba DNA shoulder bag (I forget what size it is). But after getting out in the field a lot more the last couple years; usually in remote areas that require long hikes; I am eager to ditch it and get a backpack all the way. I'm probably one more long road trip away from scoliosis myself.

This will also be my first year shooting a tech cam, and I will need a bag to hold my Alpa/back/lens and accessories. Most bags don't really seem to stand out in any way that seem worthy of holding my precious cargo. And the ones that do are usually specifically geared towards a 35mm DSLR style setup. Of course I'm looking to maximize protection while also having portability. Because, lets face it, I'm not lugging a hard rectangle case up a mountain. And would it kill these manufacturers to come up with something that looks good?!?!

I think the Peak Design - Everyday Backpack looks interesting. It comes in 20L and 30L sizes. Check out this video for a very detailed look.

Tenba also makes various backpacks which look promising. Especially after being fairly impressed with the overall quality of the their shoulder bag.

As well as the Filson - Magnum line of camera bags. They come in backpack, shoulder, and duffle styles. Or should I say came, as the line is now discontinued. However can still be found on various online retail sites.

Pemihan

I sometimes miss a shoulder bag for light hiking as well and really like my Domke F-2 but it doesn't offer a lot of protection for a fragile tech camera lens, so I'm thinking of coming up with some kind of custom padding that fits the bag. If anyone has a clever idea feel free to chime in :)

JohnBrew

Good luck in your search. I now have so much MF paraphernalia I have to carry two bags - a shoulder bag AND a backpack. One giant pita. If it wasn't for that darn 180 spacer I'd be a lot better off. But if I leave the 180 at home I always kick self later. I had an f-stop bag which would carry everything but then it was so large that the bottom of the bag hit me directly on my herniated disc! So I reluctantly returned it. Now I have a large, deep Lowe's shoulder bag and my faithful, but no longer available, Gura Gear backpack.

dchew

I also struggle with recommending a shoulder bag. If you are including some extra batteries, CF cards, filter or two, etc, you are probably talking at least 7-8lbs. For that weight you want a shoulder bag that includes a hip belt like the Think Tank “speed” series (speed racer/freak/demon). I would not recommend longer bags, since they deform around your back when using the belt. That makes me nervous, but perhaps you can pack around that issue. The speed series is not too wide, but may be a challenge to fit the tech camera. I have both the racer and freak for my 35mm stuff. Never tried putting the STC in there. Volume-wise it would work, but I am not sure about dimensions, assuming you want to keep the camera assembled.

Unless you are literally thinking car to side of the road, backpacks are my preference. I’ve been a long-time F-Stop user/fan, but since I’ve found a way to fit everything in a small pro ICU, I’ve been using a Mammut Trion Pro.
https://us.mammut.com/p/2510-02222-0917/trion-pro/

Opens at the top and back like an F-Stop. I can easily remove the ICU if I want to move around several feet without having to pick up the backpack.

Dave

Frankly

I've been a fan of bottom opening packs like the F-Stop series because who wants to set the side that touches your back into the mud? But since F-Stop and others sell lots of padded inserts there is no reason not to use other brands of packs that may carry better. Patagonia, Black Diamond, some other skiing type packs offered bottom opening and some photographers like them. But I think I've found a new champ:

Eberlestock: UpRanger

It's rectangular which maximizes your space and the plastic skid plate is brilliant.

I do own a couple of MindShift and F-Stop backpacks and they are very nice, definite upgrades from most brands. F-Stop has a padded messenger bag on sale for $40 that is pretty decent and quite a bargain. And they managed to work out the kinks in their delivery and seem to be running the operation right nowadays.

Hausen

I have ditched my shoulder bags because I had a pelvis injury recently a centre weighting with a backpack works best for me as well. I got the Wotancraft Commander which is gorgeous. I easily carry the X1D + 30mm, FujiGF670W+ Leica M6ti + 28mm in side loading. Which leaves the top area free for coat, film, pano head etc. Can't recommend it highly enough and I am a bag slut. Pic is my Fuji + a mates TX1.

Attachments

Shashin

I use a very old Mountainsmith Day lumbar pack with a padded insert (I have had it for 20 years). I can use it as a shoulder bag or I can carry it around my waist on my back. The waist feature is far more comfortable hiking or climbing and I can easily take it off and swing it around as a shoulder bag when I need to get into it (the should strap is always around my shoulder). The front pocket is great for carry odds and ends.

The latest model has a padded waistband and two side pockets. They also offer a padded insert (sold separately). This also comes with a rain cover, although with an insert system, you can slide the insert in a plastic bag for additional protection.

https://mountainsmith.com/tanuck-10-camera-lumbar-pack.html

I prefer bags designed for hiking and climbing and then modifying them for camera gear, than the bag camera companies offer. Those camera bags are not very comfortable and tend to be heavy.

For heavier loads, I use an Osprey Farpoint 40. It is carry-on size. I have my gear in a padded insert or lens pouches on a ThinkTank belt. I like modular systems.

algrove

Dave
Love that backpack so I can attach my cross country skis to each side.:grin::clap::facesmack:

0beone

Thanks gentlemen,

Its a pity that we spend so much on our gear and find it so difficult to carry it...
As I only want to pack a minimal setup for short hikes ie. WRS/IQ-Trichromatic/Rodie-40 HR-W/T/S assembled plus an SK-120 SS HM and Lee filter set, I was thinking it should not be so hard.
I am going to test out a couple of the Think Tank series tomorrow which have a 6 inch width internally as this should at least fit the WRS assembled.

Thank you all so much for your input and images. Love that bag by the way Hausen...
Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Frank

algrove

You might want to look into the Think Tank Trifecta Series of bags. The very top shelf can easily hold a good sized lens with your other lens mounted on camara in the bottom section where at times I just remove the divider so as to have one very large bottom compartment versus 2 smaller compartments. Sure it's a backpack, but easily swivels into position where one can access either side with one hand. It comes with a rain cover. The padding is VERY comfortable for my old back.