The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tether issues, Leaf Credo 50 with XF versus technical, LF camera.

Scaryink

Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum all though I have read many of the threads over the years.

My issue is as follows. I have a very solid tether connection when shooting tethered with the XF. I use a macbook pro with C1 pro 11.

When changing to shoot with my technical camera, or on Large format setup, the connection becomes completely unreliable and drops continuously.

I recently purchased the Credo 50 back, XF combo. In addition I have a Leaf Credo 40 back and Phase one 645 DF+ setup (currently up for sale on the big auction site). This does not happen with the Credo 40 back. The connection is solid no matter which camera is being used with the back.

I have changed the shutter settings when shooting on the technical camera and have tried just about every power management setting combination I can find. None of it makes a difference.

I use a tether tools USB 3.0 cable. I just purchased a tether tools tether boost pro setup to supposedly give a more reliable connection. I am skeptical however because the connection is so good when attached to the XF body.

I have scoured the web and various forums to see what I can find, with no success as of yet.

Has anyone else experienced this circumstance and successfully resolved this.

Thanks very much. :)

George

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Welcome to the forum! We hope you stick around after this is all worked out; it's a great community and I'm sure you have plenty to share!

What has your dealer said/suggested so far? Have you contacted them yet? They should be very eager and very capable of helping you quickly resolve such situations. If you purchased from us (DT) please feel free to call our tech support line or email [email protected] or stop by our office in LA or NYC.

Generally I'd be looking at cable first, firmwaresecond, and power (settings/battery) third. Cable wise TetherTools makes a pretty good cable, but there is no substitute for the Phase One factory USB cable; it's the cable with which every back model and firmware is developed and with which every back is tested and is, every single time we do any comparison in house, the most reliable cable for use with a P1 back. Firmware wise I'd check that you're running the latest firmware for the credo 50 and that you're connecting to a version of C1 that is contemporary to that firmware (10.2.1 or 11.0.1). Settings wise I'd do a factory default reset and then check that the shutter is set to standard rather than zero (as this draws less power) and that the power management settings are set to not try to charge off the USB connection, and that you're using a modern P1 battery (not a 3rd party or legacy battery).

But it's hard to troubleshoot blindly across a forum. Rather than go back and forth with time delays on a forum, I'd suggest calling or visiting the dealer from whom you purchased for real-time troubleshooting. That's (one of the reasons) why they are there :).

Last edited:

JonMo

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

There are a couple of factors to consider here;
1. Are you on firmware 2.02?
2. Are you connecting through a thunderbolt interface and if so:
a. How is the conversion to usb done?
b. How long a usb cable are you trying to interface from?

On the back; make sure power management is "off", usb charging "off"

Which Macbook Pro model is being used?
If it is a 2016/17 model; I have been having success with the Hyperdive style dock that plugs into the two usb c ports on the left side of the laptop.
This or an external hub like the OWC dock have been the most reliable.

And lastly check the battery in your back. I have had issues if using the older 2700mah battery and one of the older 3400mah batteries. Changing to the newest 3400mah was the best.

I have not used Tetherboost products and cannot really comment on them.

Since you seem to have evidence that the back will tether solid when the back is connected to the xf;
I would first check firmware in the back and battery in the back.

You would be surprised how often the tethering issues are power quality related.

Scaryink

Thank you for taking the time to respond Doug.

I just purchased this combination back for an absolute killer deal as a bank repo. It had 2,200 + shots and I paid $ 6,200 USD for the XF, lens and back combo. :) So--- no dealer arrangement. Perhaps if I send some flowers to you, your firm could be my Valentine, lol. The only original item not included was the USB cable. The firewire cable was included but not useable with my macbook pro, C1 11 combo. I purchased the tether tools cable for my Credo 40. It works perfectly with this back both on the DF+ and on the LF and technical camera combo. It appears the active USB cable is now solving this problem. It's just one more thing to drag about however. I thought I need to change the shutter latency to zero when connected to technical or LF setup. If I don't, the back doesn't seem to capture after the shutter is triggered.

Scaryink

Thank you JonMO for taking the time to comment.

I will try your suggestions on USB charging etc. My macbook pro is from 2013 I believe.

I also recall my back is the latest firmware. I will double check again.

yaya

For stable power delivery you can use a FireWire DC adapter plugged into the back and connected to the mains power supply (the one which came with your battery charger.
USB charging should then be turned off.
If the back is set to Normal Latency on your Tech camera you’ll need a wake up or a one shot cable. All these adapters and cables can be ordered through your local dealer
HTH
Yair