The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How many guys are using the Colour Checker Passport or similar

ndwgolf

Yesterday I bought the xright Colour checker passport and tried it for the first time with this image;

I could instantly see a difference in the colour balance of this image when switching between the Hasselblad H6D profile and ACR embedded profile.
Today I am planning a model shoot at a Chinese temple so its going to be Red on Red so it will be interesting to see if this little box of tricks will help.....I hope so

Neil

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I often use a ColorChecker Passport for white balance and also for keeping exposure consistent between cameras.

I also have developed colour profiles for most cameras I use, but I am using Lumariver Profile Designer software for that.

Best regards
Erik

Yesterday I bought the xright Colour checker passport and tried it for the first time with this image;

I could instantly see a difference in the colour balance of this image when switching between the Hasselblad H6D profile and ACR embedded profile.
Today I am planning a model shoot at a Chinese temple so its going to be Red on Red so it will be interesting to see if this little box of tricks will help.....I hope so

Neil

dchew

I have one but hardly ever use it. Most of the time it is some characteristic of the light that entices me to take a photo, and the last thing I want to do is neutralize that light.

But I’ve never been on a model shoot; I can certainly see how it would be useful for that task.

Dave

Last edited:

mostlylost

If I'm photographing a person, the first image, and the first image in any subsequent light change, is with a CCP held next to the subject's face. As my antique Novatron strobe systems are neither consistent or comparable, this is pretty much a must.

If the subject is not a person I just stick it in the center of the scene wherever is convient and don't generate a new profile. As I don't do people very often that's the most common situation.

I generally use it just for purposes of obtaining a white balance, but I will occasionally generate a profile just to see what there is to see. Mostly I just use the white balance and would be just as well served with using a straight white balance checker. Probably do just as well with a coffee filter :) Having decided that, for me at least, pleasing color is more important than accurate color, this seems to work out ok. YMMV. If you're not using a calibrated and profiled monitor and printer, this may or may not be terribly productive anyway.

I do notice that there is a difference between using the CCP and an ExpoDisk. Or pretty much any other white balance target for that matter. It also makes a difference depending on how the device is angled and how it picks up reflected light from surrounding objects.

According to Andrew Rodney (the Digital Dog website), you are only profiling the illuminant and making multiple profiles is not productive and only needs to be done once. I'm not real convinced of that myself, but then I only do this for fun. :). Since it's there and it's no big issue generating a new profile just to try out I sorta think "Why not".

I'm probably messing things up further since in the Texas border version of English we say Color instead of Colour :) :)

Last edited:

Paratom

I have had one for longer time. The profiles I did with it worked ok, but only in certain light conditions. Cloudy on one day didnt work on another day. I found the generic profiles from adobe more flexible.
My feeling is that making a good profiles needs much more effort and experience than shooting a color checker passport and doing the automatic profile generation.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I would agree to some degree.

One way I use it to create WB presets for some well know light conditions. But I also do my own profiles.

Best regards
Erik

I have one but hardly ever use it. Most of the time it is some characteristic of the light that entices me to take a photo, and the last thing I want to do is neutralize that light.

But I’ve never been on a model shoot; I can certainly see how it would be useful for that ask.

Dave

Mark C

I used to use one but last year I bought an Eizo self calibrating monitor which I've been very happy with.

mostlylost

I used to use one but last year I bought an Eizo self calibrating monitor which I've been very happy with.
Much as I would like to, I've never owned one of the highly regarded Eizo monitors which include their own calibration hardware/software, and I'm a bit confused. Could you elaborate on the above statement a bit please, I'm probably misunderstanding.

The reason I ask is because setting white balance for a scene or profiling a sensor for a particular light source are separate operations from profiling/calibrating a monitor.

Yes – as you said, two different procedures.

Neil, the colors in the picture you posted – while I can't speak to their accuracy – are very attractive!

Kirk

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Not sure if I missed something earlier, but the CC Passport being discussed is used to create profiles for a camera to use in place of those that come with Lightroom or Capture One. Calibrating a monitor is a different beast and discussion. Having a good display with good calibration doesn't remove the need for using a camera profile.

ndwgolf

Not sure if I missed something earlier, but the CC Passport being discussed is used to create profiles for a camera to use in place of those that come with Lightroom or Capture One. Calibrating a monitor is a different beast and discussion. Having a good display with good calibration doesn't remove the need for using a camera profile.
Wayne
I actually found out today that you can create colour profiles in Phocus using the CC Passport......... I did it earlier and the difference is cheese and slippers. Phocus let’s you create different profiles for when you shoot the CC Passport ie morning afternoon flash no flash etc etc.
I’m starting to enjoy using Phocus now that I have learnt how to use it :) :)
Neil

Mark C

Looks like I misread the OPs request, I thought it was referring to screen calibration, sorry about that :)

I have one but most of the time I forget to use it for white balancing and/or exposure setting....;)

Mostly I use it only in studio anymore, if at all. But it is also good for profiling e.g. for Phocus profiles and light meter profiling such as a Sekonic L-758.