The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Firmware R249

A

Al Pak

I was hoping to get an extra step on my H3DII-22 and it is confirmed by the Hasselblad technical news letter that it will never happen!

Quote from the letter:
"New firmware version R249 available for H3DII-31, H3DII-39, H3D-31, H3D-39, H2D-39, CFII-39, CFH-39, CF-39 and 503CWDx sensor units.

Extra ISO step for Hasselblad digital cameras
With new advances of the noise reduction facilities in our camera firmware and Phocus software, we are proud to release extended ISO capabilities on the following products:

- ISO 800 on H2D-39, H3D-39, H3DII-39, CFH-39, CF-39, CFII-39
- ISO 1600 on H3D-31, H3DII-31

For our H3DII-50 camera the extra ISO step, as well as other new features is expected to be released within the coming month.

We do not expect our noise reduction efforts to increase the ISO on older generation sensors (16Mpix and 22Mpix). Customers with these products are referred to use the EV tool of Phocus offering extra sensitivity."

Can't believe Hasselblad leave out all the 22Mpix users!

anGy

Yep,
Feel the same. When launching products a lot of high tech cpy promote the upgrade possibilities. But few does offer long term support in real life. I was hoping Hasselblad was above the crowd, but unfortunatelly for us...
Let's hope the 22mpix is not included for real technical reasons and not just for marketing ones. This is a 5 cent Q? isn't it ?

By the way, I find the quality of this 22mpix unbelievable, at low level ISO of course ;-)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I recently upgraded my H3D II 39 to an extra stop with the new FW. I decided that I really needed more light as in strobe flash as the upgrade will not be used much....it is a technical upgrade which merits more comment from the marketing department than from users...'nuf said. I respect Hasselblad for admitting that the upgrade will not benefit the other backs. They could have released it and shrugged their corporate shoulders regarding the response.

Your 22mpix backs produce great results at low iso..take your light with you or buy a DSLR for the times you need it.

Just a thought.

Bob

anGy

Look at what Hasselblad was advertising for the H2 model:

"A future-safe investment
The software in the H2 camera is easily upgradeable, meaning that existing cameras will be able to gain new features simply by upgrading the camera firmware. The H2 camera is built to the same, extremely strict standards that have always has been used by Hasselblad, ensuring a long life even with tough use."

The point is that, today, even one of their H3DII model (the 22mpix is wel a H3DII_22) can't be upgraded by the latest firmware.
This is not really my definition of a 'future-safe investment'...

I understand that long life support can't be expected, we can't ask Microsoft to give support to Win 3.5 or Win NT users. That's for sure. But with Hasselblad we are in a totally different timeframe.
Excluding the 22Mpix really looks like a commercial decision. A message to the owners telling them it's time to upgrade.
Maybe I will, but maybe my next back will be from Phase one...

BlasR

AnGy,

What about phase one,example p45 & p45+ are differents,You can't update p45 to

p45+ without paying big money.

so why hasselblad need to do it free for all the backs?

BlasR

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Look at what Hasselblad was advertising for the H2 model:

Excluding the 22Mpix really looks like a commercial decision. A message to the owners telling them it's time to upgrade.
Maybe I will, but maybe my next back will be from Phase one...
anGy,

I agree that being left out is not a great thing. I do believe that the 22 offered a different set of capabilities than the 31...larger sites better for wide angle and the majority of owners bought it on the premise that the 9 micron photosite offered a capture that was unique and worth the sacrifice of higher iso.

Commercial decision can also include not putting out a poor product...like a firmware upgrade that reflects poorly on the line. I do believe that the marketing and tech/engineering departments would do well to consult each other prior to making advertisments that may promise more than can be delivered. Hard at times to get poets and number guys to see things in a similar light.

I moved from a Phase P20 on H2 to the H3D II not because I like closed systems per se but because the system offered me advantages at the time I entered it as a customer. It would behoove us all to quit buying phantom ware and work with what we have...test personally and if it meets your criteria embrace it.

Phase is great Hasselblad is great Leaf is great Mamiya is great Sinar is great but which meets your needs? Cannot think of a time I needed 1600 ISo and 45 minutes exposure...prefer one battery....DAC with thousands of sample point in database. Want to give it up for a single stop in exposure?
I don't. Now if someone comes out with a great dynamic range analog like transition in tones film like curves in post then sign me up.

One of my earlier posts was titled "love the one your with..." Edward Weston in his Daybooks talked of patching light leaks in bellow of his large format camera...would he have done better work with a new Sinar or Linhoff with the newest most expensive Rodenstock? Doubt it.

Bottom line is that no company markets to me...I can deal with that as I find that which will allows my meagre skills to be expressed. Hasselblad is a good system...use it to your advantage leverage its strengths and when it no longer serves the need you purchased it for move on.

with regards,

Bob

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I was hoping to get an extra step on my H3DII-22 and it is confirmed by the Hasselblad technical news letter that it will never happen!

Quote from the letter:
"New firmware version R249 available for H3DII-31, H3DII-39, H3D-31, H3D-39, H2D-39, CFII-39, CFH-39, CF-39 and 503CWDx sensor units.

Extra ISO step for Hasselblad digital cameras
With new advances of the noise reduction facilities in our camera firmware and Phocus software, we are proud to release extended ISO capabilities on the following products:

- ISO 800 on H2D-39, H3D-39, H3DII-39, CFH-39, CF-39, CFII-39
- ISO 1600 on H3D-31, H3DII-31

For our H3DII-50 camera the extra ISO step, as well as other new features is expected to be released within the coming month.

We do not expect our noise reduction efforts to increase the ISO on older generation sensors (16Mpix and 22Mpix). Customers with these products are referred to use the EV tool of Phocus offering extra sensitivity."

Well folks, while I feel with you, trust me, we should also understand that certain things are obviously not possible with some older HW.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Well I withdraw my earlier rant about R248 not providing high ISO support for the H3D(not II)-39. This is welcome evidence that Hasselblad continues to be a good partner. It installed smoothly and works fine.

The point is that, today, even one of their H3DII model (the 22mpix is wel a H3DII_22) can't be upgraded by the latest firmware.
This is not really my definition of a 'future-safe investment'...
Hi anGy,

I am afraid in this case the older 22MP sensors from Kodak simply can't go the extra stop of ISO and produce files of a standard consistently and reliably.

If we did offer this upgrade then we would upset many customers as it would not be at the standard they would expect us to release.

In fairness we have released many firmware upgrades and added new features to both body and back on the H3D22 MK1 and Mk2. It is only in this case we could unfortunately not make the changes.

As an alternative you could make a test with the EV compensation tool in Phocus. That does quite a good job of pushing a file by one stop with minimal damage.

Best,

David

anGy

Hi,
Thanks all of you for your different points of vue an comments.
My frustration - as I assume for the other 22mpix owners - came from the fact that a firmware and the upgrades it brings are pure software. Difficult to understand that new algorythms or whatever cannot apply to the 22mpix. But I understand the equation is a lot more complex than that. So, let's take the words from David and keep play with this camera that still is the most rewarding I ever had.
Wish you the best,

harmsr

Workshop Member
The other thing that this firmware version fixed was that not all 16 GB CF cards would format out to 16GB.

My Sandisk & Hoodman cards were no issue, but a couple of Trancend cards would only format to 8GB until this new firmware release.