The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any way to connect standard cable release to xf?

Scaryink

Are any of you aware of way to use a standard cable release as an attachment to the XF? I recently sold my 645 DF+ which had a standard release socket. Why the camera doesn't contain the most reliable means of shutter release is a mystery to me. Why make something electronic when an analogue solution is superior? Pushing a button with fingers is as analogue as it gets. :) Money is the reason why. A standard release is maybe $5 and will last a lifetime versus $99 for an aftermarket fragile piece of aftermarket electronica.

Thanks in advance for any solutions.

Scaryink

Thank you Ken. I am aware of this solution. I am looking for a solution which will give me approx 20 feet like ball release type of setup.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thank you Ken. I am aware of this solution. I am looking for a solution which will give me approx 20 feet like ball release type of setup.
Three options:

1) Profoto Air transmitter (which the XF body can use as a remote trigger)

2) Capture Pilot if you have an IQ2 or IQ3

3) ES adapter, generic 20ft mono to mono extension, standard hahnel release.

The first has the advantage of working at great distance. The second has the advantage of showing you the resulting capture from your distant position.

beano_z

Profoto Air transmitter (which the XF body can use as a remote trigger)
Sorry to hijack this thread a little, but where can I find instructions on how to make this work? I just got a Canon air transmitter last week, and from my initial tries, pressing the test button doesn't seen to fire the camera as shown on the firmware release video / notes.

And yes, I've tried to set the receive channel on the XF to match the transmitters......

Scaryink

Three options:

1) Profoto Air transmitter (which the XF body can use as a remote trigger)

2) Capture Pilot if you have an IQ2 or IQ3

3) ES adapter, generic 20ft mono to mono extension, standard hahnel release.

The first has the advantage of working at great distance. The second has the advantage of showing you the resulting capture from your distant position.
Thank you very much. I have an air transmitter and hadn't considered this could be used to trigger. This is a great option.

Smoothjazz

Doug,

Can you mention how the Profit air transmitter works? I have an L bracket on my XF camera, so I cannot attach the cable release to the socket to use the cable release option.

Thanks,

John