The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WARNING: Fuji GFX "Kastar" car charger does not work!

Just a heads up to all the Fujifilm GFX 50S users out there...

I have been on the lookout for a car charger ever since the launch, as there's no Fujifilm OEM version.

There is a Kastar dual battery charger for the GFX out there on eBay that is described as a 110v-240v AC and car charger. However, no car has a high enough DC voltage to power the charger for the GFX batteries.

I have informed the seller, who insists there are "some European cars" with a high enough voltage, but this is just hogwash! They seem to have no intention of changing the description or pulling the product.

So BUYER BEWARE!

Otherwise, it seems fine as a dual charger.

I haven't done extensive testing or anything, so I can't attest to the charger's ability to charge and maintain the batteries for the best longevity or anything.

I'm going to pick up a voltage step-up device to see if I can hack it and get it to work in the car. I'll report back with the results.

Update:

I finally got around to fixing the problem.

In short, this charger needs more voltage than a car can provide, in order to charge the Fujifilm batteries.

So I bought a 5A DC-DC voltage booster, here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5A-DC-DC-Boost-Step-up-3v-35v-to-5-40v-5v-6v-9v-12v-24v-36v-Adjustable-Converter/322592262131

All you have to do is cut your car charger wire in half, bare and tin the four exposed ends, screw them down to their respective + and - terminals on the boost board. Shrinkwrap the whole thing or put it in a mini box, and you're set to go.

Needless to say, this should not be the case for a charger that's sold as a car charger! But it seems like the only option right now if you need it (yes, you could use a 12v DC to 110v AC inverter, but they're very inefficient and if you're going off-grid, like I do, that's not practical).