The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D Discount

DougDolde

Not unless it works as a tool for the buyer. A D850 would not work for me. Even at the original price, the X1D was a bargain for me because it functions in the most essential ways to me EXACTLY the way I want a camera to function. Color, tonality, resolution, lenses, form factor, portability, User Interface. Other photographers will prioritize things differently.
There may be a difference with the X1D being a bit better but for me medium format is no longer needed or affordable. I was shooting medium format since the Kodak DCS Pro back, then on to Aptus 75S then IQ140 and IQ180.

I was just burned out on the cost, bulkiness, and weight.

Except for the resolution of the IQ180, the D850 is better than all of them in every way, and I can stiill process files in Capture One which is really a big deal to me.

JohnBrew

There may be a difference with the X1D being a bit better but for me medium format is no longer needed or affordable. I was shooting medium format since the Kodak DCS Pro back, then on to Aptus 75S then IQ140 and IQ180.

I was just burned out on the cost, bulkiness, and weight.

Except for the resolution of the IQ180, the D850 is better than all of them in every way, and I can stiill process files in Capture One which is really a big deal to me.
Too true, Doug. Now if there were only some available in the stores!

DougDolde

D850s can be had with a little calling around. Pictureline.com will send emails when they have one as will other dealers

Paratom

Not unless it works as a tool for the buyer. A D850 would not work for me. Even at the original price, the X1D was a bargain for me because it functions in the most essential ways to me EXACTLY the way I want a camera to function. Color, tonality, resolution, lenses, form factor, portability, User Interface. Other photographers will prioritize things differently.
Same for me.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
and/or (4) production has caught up and surpassed current demand meaning boxes sitting on the shelf?
Impossible ..don t you remember when HB claimed to have 30K pre orders after launch . Have you seen the Verge Report on their NEW IMPROVED production methods ? That they state they can now produce 1000 a month ....really hand assembled and 50 complete and tested bodies a day ?

Just kidding ...they would only discount if supply is exceeding demand and somebody is sitting on inventory .

atanabe

Impossible ..don t you remember when HB claimed to have 30K pre orders after launch . Have you seen the Verge Report on their NEW IMPROVED production methods ? That they state they can now produce 1000 a month ....really hand assembled and 50 complete and tested bodies a day ?

Just kidding ...they would only discount if supply is exceeding demand and somebody is sitting on inventory .
I would have to agree with Roger, demand must be getting lower, Adorama was at $6995 last week, now back to $7995 but still below MSRP. Lenses are still regular price though. Maybe the MFD market has reached saturation point?

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

The Nikon is also handmade, wherever they make assembly. Cameras are assembled by hand. I don't know is Sweden is better doing assembly than other places. Once upon the time I was actually doing assembly work, on chainsaws. The parts that were reliable were not coming from Sweden.

Whoever assemblies something, the quality is always decided by the quality of components. So quality assurance begins with incoming parts. QA tests can eliminate inferior samples, but average quality is more based on accuracy of incoming parts.

In essence, to have a quality product, you need to do it right all the way from components to assembly. Quality assurance can eliminate bad samples, but it does not help quality.

Best regards
Erik

Yes, but it's "Handmade in Sweden".;)

BANKER1

Hi,

The Nikon is also handmade, wherever they make assembly. Cameras are assembled by hand. I don't know is Sweden is better doing assembly than other places. Once upon the time I was actually doing assembly work, on chainsaws. The parts that were reliable were not coming from Sweden.

Whoever assemblies something, the quality is always decided by the quality of components. So quality assurance begins with incoming parts. QA tests can eliminate inferior samples, but average quality is more based on accuracy of incoming parts.

In essence, to have a quality product, you need to do it right all the way from components to assembly. Quality assurance can eliminate bad samples, but it does not help quality.

Best regards
Erik
This is the umpteenth time this exact quote, "Handmade In Sweden" has been offered. It is sarcastic and rude in the first place. It is neither funny nor intelligent, so your response is to it is neither necessary or obligatory. The "Handmade In Sweden"response only shows the posters teenage intellect.

hcubell

Is it some sort of revelation for which you need an MBA to know that the demand for the X1D is lower today than it was 12 months ago? Of course the demand is lower. It was a very expensive product that defined a whole new product category when it was released, and everyone who is remotely plugged into the market for such cameras KNOWS that a significantly improved version that likely corrects many of the shortcomings of the first version (e.g., major new lens releases, a joystick, a tilting LCD, faster AF, reduced lag and EVF blackout, better EVF, snappier overall operation, etc.) AND has 100MP seems to be just around the corner. The X1D is no different from any other camera in that regard. Nikon D810, Sony A7RII, Phase IQ100, and on and on. Demand is off the charts for the first 6-12 months, supply is scarce, and then gradually demand slows down and supply increases. Then, boom, the cycle starts all over again with rumors/expectations about a new model.

sog1927

This is the umpteenth time this exact quote, "Handmade In Sweden" has been offered. It is sarcastic and rude in the first place. It is neither funny nor intelligent, so your response is to it is neither necessary or obligatory. The "Handmade In Sweden"response only shows the posters teenage intellect.
There's no need for an ad hominem, BANKER1. You don't know me and I don't know you. Since I've been on the internet before there actually was an internet (back in the NSFnet days), I'm pretty well aware that people have a tendency to make personal comments on the net that they'd never make in person - so I'll refrain from making any judgements about your character, age, or intellect based on a gratuitous keyboard insult to someone you've never met. I'm sure you're perfectly delightful in person.

Just FYI: I (quite happily, I might add) own an X1D and I've been shooting Hasselblads of one sort or another for over three decades. I think the X1D is a camera Victor himself would have been quite proud of.

However, if Hasselblad didn't think there was some marketing advantage to be gained by stamping "Handmade in Sweden" on the X1D, they wouldn't do it.

DB5

I really like the D850 and would love to replace everything with it, I agree in many ways its better and cost wise - I'm so tired of throwing money on the fire on MFD! - but that resolution and everything else associated with the larger sensor is a big part of what I do and every time I go back to 35mm I am left feeling disappointed in the relative image quality.

jduncan

I would have to agree with Roger, demand must be getting lower, Adorama was at $6995 last week, now back to $7995 but still below MSRP. Lenses are still regular price though. Maybe the MFD market has reached saturation point?
Hi,
it's interesting that they raised the price so fast.

I don't know if it's wishful thinking, but it seems consistent with clearance before the introduction of a new model.
In particular, B&H continues to have crazy pricing on the X1D.

The saturation point it's unlikely but possible and interesting. They raised the price in just one week. The other point is that some X1D users are used to pay US$ 25K+ for the backs alone. They will pay for a new model if it's good.

If Hasselblad follows the X1D with a winner, it will change the medium format market for the foreseeable future.

Best regards,

hcubell

The only thing that surprises me is that nobody really knows exactly what ownership and technology role DJI has assumed at Hasselblad. It's over a year since the story first appeared at Luminous Landscape that announced, as fact, that Hasselblad had been acquired by DJI. The spin in the story was that was a BAD thing. Many of us begged to differ and saw it as a potentially great thing. Well, here we are over a year later and nobody who really knows the answers is talking. Very strange.

DB5

The only thing that surprises me is that nobody really knows exactly what ownership and technology role DJI has assumed at Hasselblad. It's over a year since the story first appeared at Luminous Landscape that announced, as fact, that Hasselblad had been acquired by DJI. The spin in the story was that was a BAD thing. Many of us begged to differ and saw it as a potentially great thing. Well, here we are over a year later and nobody who really knows the answers is talking. Very strange.
The general public reacting to the worst possible outcome is quite normal I think. I think it's more the lamenting of a Swedish longheld prestigious company that being taken over by a Chinese company. There's always going to be the "unknown" for people to fuss over, about what will be done with the company and what kind of products they make. (like Polaroid branded crap TV's etc.) Especially when they were making all those tacky Lunar and Stellar cameras already at the time.

I only see positives so far. The rate at which they are pumping out firmware upgrades is to be commended. The X lens roadmap is solid and I have seen no signs of anything that gives me reason to think DJI's involvement will be a problem.

Hardware development takes at least 3-4 years so it's not till then that we will really start seeing tech benefits and I think we're likely to see some sort of in camera stabilisation sometime soon and also better movie features, integration and implementation which DJI has a lot of expertise in.

msstudio

My take on this is that they adjusted to the market/demand/output and the price is here to stay, similar to the H6D50 (both pained me quite a bit, being an early adaptor). Most Chinese manufacturers make their money in large scale production and this is not different.
Maybe they figured out to obtain certain parts from cheaper suppliers or even more preassembled to cut cost.
The more people buy these systems the better for all of us, more supply on the used maker for enthusiast and students, more RD for new lenses and cameras and a stronger company that will survive the iPhone onslaught. Just keep it Swedish like my strobes...

sjg284

re: DJI
I think we can take it as a positive for stills shooters like us.
HB have hired both Ming Thein who we all know..
And more interestingly, Vincent Laine, the Leica Q designer, as their Head of Design.

The new pricing has me very interested, though simultaneously reluctant that I'd be buying a camera that's immediately replaced.
I'll keep my eyes on the used market for sure..
A quick follow Mark II model with a 50MP sensor but readout speed tweaks (for both EVF and AF) and maybe an AF joystick would probably bring more into the fold.

Paratom

there are so many x2d rumours, that I have no doubt that a x2d (however they call it) is on its way and therefore x1d prices are reduced.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
re: DJI
I think we can take it as a positive for stills shooters like us.
HB have hired both Ming Thein who we all know..
And more interestingly, Vincent Laine, the Leica Q designer, as their Head of Design.

The new pricing has me very interested, though simultaneously reluctant that I'd be buying a camera that's immediately replaced.
I'll keep my eyes on the used market for sure..
A quick follow Mark II model with a 50MP sensor but readout speed tweaks (for both EVF and AF) and maybe an AF joystick would probably bring more into the fold.
The Leica Q design team has a reputation for being quite excellent . I haven t found one thing on the Leica Q that seems to be missed . If the X1D operated like a larger Leica Q it would be as good as it gets . This is great news for HB.