The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D Discount

tcdeveau

Possibly. I’m personally not expecting to see it on shelves until 2019 but the earlier the better I suppose. A lot of retailers are running deals across multiple brands for the WPPI show which isn’t uncommon, so it may be nothing.

DB5

It certainly is very aggressive pricing. Who know's what it's about but that sort of price is normally to run out stock. But no other dealer has that price yet.

hcubell

B&H is offering a $2500 discount on the X1D body. Does this mean the X2D is coming soon?
I doubt that it's about the imminent arrival of the X2D. More likely it's a combination of (1) the price cuts by Fuji on the GFX/lens combinations, (2) the fact that Hasselblad has achieved such high sales volume compared to its projections that it has already recovered a large percentage of the R&D costs, and (3) the reduction of the per unit cost of production from ramping up its manufacturing capabilities. However, it is almost March, and I would not be surprised to see announcements about stuff that will be unveiled at Photokina start to appear by June. Just follow the Fuji rumor site. Fuji is a sieve of leaked information.

FYI. The price of the silver X1D body is reduced at B&H to the the price of the GFX body. I wonder what happens to the dealers who have inventory that they purchased before these price cuts.

Last edited:

jduncan

B&H is offering a $2500 discount on the X1D body. Does this mean the X2D is coming soon?

I hope that is the case, as I stated elsewhere: The discounts, the arrival of the H6D-400C, Ming Thein comments all point to an incoming release, but the current CEO is a production kind of guy
and they have DJI support so they may be trying to expand the base to sale much more lenses.

Best regards,

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I doubt that it's about the imminent arrival of the X2D. More likely it's a combination of (1) the price cuts by Fuji on the GFX/lens combinations, (2) the fact that Hasselblad has achieved such high sales volume compared to its projections that it has already recovered a large percentage of the R&D costs, and (3) the reduction of the per unit cost of production from ramping up its manufacturing capabilities.
and/or (4) production has caught up and surpassed current demand meaning boxes sitting on the shelf?

hcubell

and/or (4) production has caught up and surpassed current demand meaning boxes sitting on the shelf?
Doubtful that a manufacturer as small as Hasselblad would be unable to adjust production levels for decreased demand, to the point where they would end up with a significant volume of unsold camera bodies. They should have a pretty grasp of their advance orders. The new CEO at Hasselblad is a production guy. I would think if he knows anything, he knows about adjusting production levels. It’s actually been quite a long time since the supply of the X1D bodies caught up with the demand. Late last Spring, as I recall.

mostlylost

Used Japanese pricing

Interesting that this thread should pop up just now. I just completed checking prices on eBay and found several Japanese sellers with used specimens priced BIN at over $12,000 USD while B & H are selling new at $6500. Ya gotta wonder how that happens :loco:

DB5

Re: Used Japanese pricing

Interesting that this thread should pop up just now. I just completed checking prices on eBay and found several Japanese sellers with used specimens priced BIN at over $12,000 USD while B & H are selling new at $6500. Ya gotta wonder how that happens :loco:
I think ebay sellers put things up with crazy over inflated prices just to try and keep used prices up or make other things look like bargains. The Japanese places are the worst, putting things up at over double and sometimes triple the value of elsewhere and often as you've pointed out more expensive than new retail prices. As if anyone looks at it and thinks it's worth that. :loco:

hcubell

Still 2x the price of a Nikon D850. Now THAT's a bargain !
Not unless it works as a tool for the buyer. A D850 would not work for me. Even at the original price, the X1D was a bargain for me because it functions in the most essential ways to me EXACTLY the way I want a camera to function. Color, tonality, resolution, lenses, form factor, portability, User Interface. Other photographers will prioritize things differently.