The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Macros Anyone?

dave.gt

Spring is here! I am looking for inspiration for macro images. While I await the extraordinary colorful blooms in our little rose garden I installed last year(s)... I need your images to fill my empty mind (did I really say that?). Well, I am a blank sheet of paper. The 503 with the 55mm extension tube is ready to go.

I am considering picking up a cheap flat of flowers at the nursery for motifs. But, since I will be shooting film, I must make wise choices.

I just know there are passionate macro photographers on this forum.. show us what you like!:):):) I look forward to being inspired by you and posting my results eventually on the Fun with MF Images thread!:)

Shashin

Those were taken with a Pentax 645 120mm manual focus macro lens on a Pentax 645D. The lens is able to go to 1:1.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Dave!

I have a bunch of macros but these follow the flower motif ....

I always grab the camera whenever the wife brings flowers home ... usually when we are
entertaining company.

Hasselblad X1D Pentax P67 100 Macro

Leica S2-P Pentax P67 100 Macro

Think you might want to use the studio Hasselblad and import the files to iPhone or iPad with the camera connection kit.
LR or PS to work and submit to the forum. No computer needed. Just a thought.

Regards,

Bob

dave.gt

Bob, those flowers are gorgeous. I am waiting for our late Spring tulips to bloom but you gave me a great idea... the local grocery store usually has potted tulips that I can pick up for little money. Then I can shoot those.

Our roses are a few weeks off but they are coming in strong!

Ha! It is odd that you mention the wifi from the H5... yes, I could get the images to the phone. Had not thought of that I guess because I have been overwhelmed lately.

But how do I resize the jpegs for the forum? If I knew how to do that, I would post soon!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Bob, those flowers are gorgeous. I am waiting for our late Spring tulips to bloom but you gave me a great idea... the local grocery store usually has potted tulips that I can pick up for little money. Then I can shoot those.

Our roses are a few weeks off but they are coming in strong!

Ha! It is odd that you mention the wifi from the H5... yes, I could get the images to the phone. Had not thought of that I guess because I have been overwhelmed lately.

But how do I resize the jpegs for the forum? If I knew how to do that, I would post soon!
Dave,

Joe Colson has a most wonderful app "Frameshop" ... but may not be phone centric.

Just select photo and resize with the long size no larger than 1200 pixels.

Save as JPG with sRGB ... I use quality of 10 but you can experiment to see if 7 or 8 gives you decent
image on line.

Best,

Bob

dave.gt

Dave,

Joe Colson has a most wonderful app "Frameshop" ... but may not be phone centric.

Just select photo and resize with the long size no larger than 1200 pixels.

Save as JPG with sRGB ... I use quality of 10 but you can experiment to see if 7 or 8 gives you decent
image on line.

Best,

Bob
Thanks for the information, Bob! I will check on that!:):):)

Abstraction

I've shot this on Mamiya 645 Provia 100 with Pentacon bellows adapted to m645 and a Canon FD 50mm reverse mounted onto the Pentacon bellows. Macro doesn't have to be flowers and bugs.

MomentsForZen

Hasselblad 501CM
Hasselblad CFV-50c Digital Back
Hasselblad Carl Zeiss lens - Planar T* 80mm f2.8 CFE lens
Hasselblad Extension Tube 32E (32mm)

Crepe Myrtle Flower (in the wild, not the studio)

Attachments

dave.gt

Crepe Myrtle, wow, I learn something new all the time! I guess I have never gotten close enough to one to see such a stunning image of a star surrounded by a glove of blooms!

Stunning.:)

The 32mm extension tube is on my list to pick up for tight framing. The 55 I currently use is really for very close in work. I like this a lot!

Last edited:

dave.gt

Hey, Bob,

Thank you for nudging me in the right direction. The image above was straight from the cropped version from the H5D (I like the square!)...

I installed Photoshop Express (PS Express app) on the iPhone and set the long side at 1200. Worked like a charm!

Thank you, my friend.:):):)

dave.gt

I've shot this on Mamiya 645 Provia 100 with Pentacon bellows adapted to m645 and a Canon FD 50mm reverse mounted onto the Pentacon bellows. Macro doesn't have to be flowers and bugs.[/QUOTE

Your are correct, macros can be anything actually. I have a friend who does macro for a living, not just botanicals but things with light, movement or anything that makes for an appealing composition including melting ice. He sells his work to clients who have hotels,offices, and retail businesses.

Last edited:

dave.gt

Thanks, Bob...:)

This was from last Spring, a tiny bloom that struggled through the adversity of winter.

Hasselblad 503cxi 80mm, 55mm extension tube/Ektar 100:

IMG_1615.JPG

Shashin

Naturally, medium-format does not have to be limited to macro. This is from a 6x12 film back on a microscope. It is an image of a record (remember those). The groove is black, with the top of the surface in a rainbow color. The color comes from a microscope technique know as Differential Interference Contrast (DIC).

dave.gt

Naturally, medium-format does not have to be limited to macro. This is from a 6x12 film back on a microscope. It is an image of a record (remember those). The groove is black, with the top of the surface in a rainbow color. The color comes from a microscope technique know as Differential Interference Contrast (DIC).

Will, that is very cool!!! I could see that hanging in my wall!

Love it, and the dialogue behind the image makes it even better!

:):):)

davidsuchoff

Will this is excellent! Could you briefly describe your setup? Are you able to get an image circle from the microscope optics that covers the 6x12 back?

Thanks,
David

Abstraction

I've shot this on Mamiya 645 Provia 100 with Pentacon bellows adapted to m645 and a Canon FD 50mm reverse mounted onto the Pentacon bellows. Macro doesn't have to be flowers and bugs.[/QUOTE

Your are correct, macros can be anything actually. I have a friend who does macro for a living, not just botanicals but things with light, movement or anything that makes for an appealing composition including melting ice. He sells his work to clients who have hotels,offices, and retail businesses.
That's a nice niche he has created for himself. Do you by any chance have a link to his site? I'd love to see his work