The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Macros Anyone?

Shashin

Will this is excellent! Could you briefly describe your setup? Are you able to get an image circle from the microscope optics that covers the 6x12 back?

Thanks,
David
David, this was taken with an Olympus Vanox research microscope. It dated from the late 70s early 80s. At that vintage, those microscopes had 4x5 cameras, mostly for Polaroids. However, the camera will take any 4x5 sheet film holder or, in my case, Graflock roll film backs. I used both Horseman 6x12 and Rollei 6x6 backs on the scope. 4x5 camera had relay optics specifically to cover the film area. 35mm cameras can also be used with these scopes, but without the additional optics (there is a projection lens at the top of the trinocular head which is needed to project an image for either camera).

This is also an episcopic scope--it images opaque objects and sometimes are referred to as material scopes. Diascopic is the more usual biological instrument that shines light through the specimen. My scope came fitted with DIC. I did add an electronic shutter with exposure control to replace the mechanical shutter. Research microscopes are basically frames where optics and techniques like DIC or Phase Contrast are added. My frame had both diascopic and episcopic light paths, but was missing the substage condenser for the diascopic path.

I bought the scope on ebay. I searched the business and industrial section to find the scope. It is also a good place to find parts and accessories depending on the vintage of the scope. The Vanox I bought was the top of the line research microscope of the day. But it is also out of production making a really good deal.

I am not sure how much you know about microscopes (I ran a microscope imaging lab), but this is the best site about microscopy: https://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/

davidsuchoff

Great! Thank you for the info. I'm somewhat familiar with microscopes. I do macro work adapting mitutoyo microscope objectives, but I love the idea of being able to adapt my Fuji GFX to a microscope for higher magnification. Are these finite objectives or are you able to adapt the microscope with a tube lens for use of infinite objectives?

David

David, this was taken with an Olympus Vanox research microscope. It dated from the late 70s early 80s. At that vintage, those microscopes had 4x5 cameras, mostly for Polaroids. However, the camera will take any 4x5 sheet film holder or, in my case, Graflock roll film backs. I used both Horseman 6x12 and Rollei 6x6 backs on the scope. 4x5 camera had relay optics specifically to cover the film area. 35mm cameras can also be used with these scopes, but without the additional optics (there is a projection lens at the top of the trinocular head which is needed to project an image for either camera).

This is also an episcopic scope--it images opaque objects and sometimes are referred to as material scopes. Diascopic is the more usual biological instrument that shines light through the specimen. My scope came fitted with DIC. I did add an electronic shutter with exposure control to replace the mechanical shutter. Research microscopes are basically frames where optics and techniques like DIC or Phase Contrast are added. My frame had both diascopic and episcopic light paths, but was missing the substage condenser for the diascopic path.

I bought the scope on ebay. I searched the business and industrial section to find the scope. It is also a good place to find parts and accessories depending on the vintage of the scope. The Vanox I bought was the top of the line research microscope of the day. But it is also out of production making a really good deal.

I am not sure how much you know about microscopes (I ran a microscope imaging lab), but this is the best site about microscopy: https://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/

Shashin

Great! Thank you for the info. I'm somewhat familiar with microscopes. I do macro work adapting mitutoyo microscope objectives, but I love the idea of being able to adapt my Fuji GFX to a microscope for higher magnification. Are these finite objectives or are you able to adapt the microscope with a tube lens for use of infinite objectives?

David
David, the Vanox had a specific tube length. However, what is in the light path to cover a larger image plane is a rely lens. Simply projecting a microscope objective will not get you the coverage you need. However, the projection lens is basically an eyepiece. So, if you can place an eyepiece in your system, then you may be able to cover the 33 x 44 sensor.

drunkenspyder

Ladybug hunting. Love the flower pictures. With spring springing, they have inspired me to get out into the yard.

P1 | Trichro | Schneider 120M | f/4 | 1/320 | ISO 50

drunkenspyder

Guinée Rose my partner planted in the warm setting sunlight. She planted three rose bands last year, and this year, these climbers have just exploded.

Cambo 1600 | Trichro Back | S-K 120M | f/11 | 1/100 | ISO 100

cunim

A few flexible nibs. IQ180, Rodie 120 macro, bit of stacking

Completely off topic, but why does my LR export to jpg always shift to the red?

Attachments

Craig Stocks

A closeup of some tiny red flowers my wife has growing in a pot. Phase One XF / IQ3100 with a Phase One 120mm macro. This is a focus stack of 42 frames.

I've also included an iPhone snapshot that shows the size of the flowers.

Attachments

Craig Stocks

Semi abstract photo of two forks, a spoon and a mirror. I used an LED light wand to lightpaint the scene. Phase one XF / IQ3100, Phase One 120 mm macro lens. Composite of two frames, one for the main subject and a separate frame for the background. Too bad I didn't have brand new silverware without scratches.

Attachments

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Here's the eye of a cicada. XF/100/120BR Macro. The bottom picture shows the full frame. The image is close to 1:1, as the Cicada is only a little longer than the vertical field of the sensor - 55 mm. .

drunkenspyder

Two other Guinée Roses. Both of these are focus stacks, and both require additional retouching work. But because these are just test shots, I probably won't invest that effort in these images. What I learned here is that, in very low light [this was pre-sunrise], I have to use a visual focusing aid to calibrate the location of the far/near focus points. And I am going to decrease the number of images shot. This many images can make it difficult to find the perfect frame for each layer of retouching, especially when the subject has so many convoluted edges.

P1 | Trichro |S-K LS 120M | f/6.3 | 1/6s | ISO 50 | 67 frame stack

P1 | Trichro | S-K LS 120M | f/5 | .4s | ISO 100 | 70 frame stack

dave.gt

Beautiful roses, Greg.:)

Our rose garden is coming on still after being nipped back by the cold weather... maybe a few more weeks as the buds are just now visible. I must look into the Guinee roses.

For now, still shooting our late Spring Tulips:

Backyard Tulip FINAL 2018.jpg

drunkenspyder

Beautiful roses, Greg.:)

Our rose garden is coming on still after being nipped back by the cold weather... maybe a few more weeks as the buds are just now visible. I must look into the Guinee roses.

For now, still shooting our late Spring Tulips:
That's just beautiful.

drunkenspyder

My partner's orchids. 113 frame stack in Helicon Focus. I thought I had framed enough to avoid image cutoff during the stacking, but I lost some pixels on the left and right petals.

P1 XF | Trichro | f/4.5 | 1/4s | ISO 100

drunkenspyder

Another orchid shot, this one a 150-image stack. Unretouched in Helicon Focus. I have a composition problem or three, but am really pleased with the XF's focus stacking and HF's ability to handle a lot of large files.

P1 XF | S-K LS 120M | Trichro | f/4.5 | .1s | ISO 100

davidsuchoff

Here's a lovely Daffodil. This image was stacked using Zerene stacker software. I believe it was a total of ~40 images.

2018-03-10-18.53.09 ZS retouched-2.jpg

Fuji GFX50s | Arca-Swiss Universalis II | Schneider Kreuznach Apo-macro digitar 120 | ISO 100