The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Macros Anyone?

drunkenspyder

Here's a lovely Daffodil. This image was stacked using Zerene stacker software. I believe it was a total of ~40 images.
Fuji GFX50s | Arca-Swiss Universalis II | Schneider Kreuznach Apo-macro digitar 120 | ISO 100
Love the daffodil. Did you use any auxiliary light or flash?

drunkenspyder

Snail on Bird of Paradise. This little guy thwarted my focus/depth-of-field efforts, and stacking was not going well with the erratic breezes, so I settled for this image.

P1 XF | Trichro | S-K LS 120M | f/6.3 | 1/40s | ISO 100

davidsuchoff

Here's an anemone at ~1.5x. This is a stack of ~ 35 images using Zerene stacker.

2018-02-28-16.50.06 ZS PMax.jpg

Fuji GFX50s | Arca-swiss Universalis II | Sk Apo-Macro Digitar 120 | 1/125s

drunkenspyder

Went back to this 78-image stack, and found the couple of offenders that were causing me the biggest problems. Same snail and blossom as below, with the difference of morning illumination from behind rather than from the side. Our BoPs are a little more "ragged" when the first post-winter blossoms appear; as spring and summer progress, the blossoms are more robust, smoother, and with fewer imperfections. Part of this also seems to be an early spring imbalance between snails and their predators.

P1 XF | Trichro | S-K LS 120M | f/6.3 | 1/40s | ISO 100

Last edited:

Shreyas

This is excellent. Is the objective finite or infinite? Does it produce an image circle big enough to cover the sensor?
It is a infinity objective. A 200mm lens used as infinity tube.
The image circle does not cover the sensor. Used square crop that is also not covered by the image.

4*Paul

Not quite the attractive shots of spring flowers that others have posted, and I was hoping to take - but it’s a Macro anyway.
Rusty old adjustable spanner with all sorts of organic matter and silt attached and some nails that were still in a paper wrap.
Both were dragged out of the River Soar in Leicestershire UK by my son who has developed an enthusiasm for magnet fishing. Weird!
Taken by the river bank on a dank cold day last week laid out on some scorched boards that he’s using for his boat building.
Phase One XF, IQ3100, 120mm P1 Macro, ISO 100, 0.6 secs at f7.1 IIQ S. Approx 100 shots (as calculated by the XF stacking function) processed in Zerene Stacker.

Old spanner and nails from river.jpg

Stuart Richardson

This may be a bit odder than some of the stuff attached here, but I have been doing some macro work with large format film. I mostly used a 90mm APO componon hm reversed with just the lens cap for a shutter. I was at 1 to 1 to 3 to 1 for most of the studio ones (the rocks are very small, but the idea is that they give an impression of a larger scale). Lighting was either flash or very high intensity LED headlamps made for biking. They are great for super macro on LF because the extreme luminosity makes it easier to compose and focus when working apertures are around f45. I have then composited them into other photos, although just once in this collection. So the one of the rock in the sand is a photo of a sizable boulder taken with a drone, and then I layered the texture of the rock in its place. The photo taken outside is perhaps not macro as much as a closeup. I used a 110mm Super Symmar XL for that with natural light.

book-edit-larger-pool-68.jpgbook-edit-larger-pool-240.jpgbook-edit-larger-pool-67.jpgxela-illuminated-edit-31.jpgtest-sequence-1.jpgStuart-Richardson-This-Island-Earth-5.jpg

Irises are some of the most amazing flowers for me, here is a stack of 40 pictures from tripod, using the great Focus stack tool of the XF camera, combined in ZereneStacker. I added 2 100% crops to show the fine details, the camera, back and lens are able to deliver.

Kind regards

Wolfgang

Attachments

dave.gt

This may be a bit odder than some of the stuff attached here, but I have been doing some macro work with large format film. I mostly used a 90mm APO componon hm reversed with just the lens cap for a shutter. I was at 1 to 1 to 3 to 1 for most of the studio ones (the rocks are very small, but the idea is that they give an impression of a larger scale). Lighting was either flash or very high intensity LED headlamps made for biking. They are great for super macro on LF because the extreme luminosity makes it easier to compose and focus when working apertures are around f45. I have then composited them into other photos, although just once in this collection. So the one of the rock in the sand is a photo of a sizable boulder taken with a drone, and then I layered the texture of the rock in its place. The photo taken outside is perhaps not macro as much as a closeup. I used a 110mm Super Symmar XL for that with natural light.

View attachment 134732View attachment 134733View attachment 134734View attachment 134735View attachment 134736View attachment 134737
Whoa!!!!
Amazing detail, Stuart!:):):)