The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Macros Anyone?

schuster

Hasselblad 503CW, Zeiss Makro-Planar CFE 4/120mm, Automatic Bellows Extension, Phase One IQ-160, window light, Zerene Stacker, Capture One, Photoshop.

garlic 3.jpg

MMC

(all handheld)

(Hy6 / Credo 80 / S-K AF Xenotar 80 + Vario extension ring)

(Hy6 / Credo 80 / S-K AF Xenotar 80 + Vario extension ring)

(Hy6 / Credo 80 / S-K Apo-Makro-Symmar 90)

jng

It seems that this thread has been quiet for a while...

Romanesco

H11_24_2018_34-50-stack-1024.jpg

Hasselblad X1D | Zeiss 135mm f/5.6 Makro-Planar | f/11 | 17 images stacked

Last edited:

Don Libby

Not certain how I lost sight of this thread; must be old age...

I've been playing around with the Fuji GFX 50s, GF250, 1.4 extender and the 45 WR macro tube. This was in a sunflower field in August. I've cheated a bit by cropping in slightly, f/8 1/200 ISO 160 shot handheld.

Attachments

Don Libby

Last one for today. We've been shooting waterdrops this summer using a combination of the GFX 50s and GF120. The lens has either been naked or with either the 18 or 45 WR macro lens or both.

This one named "chowder" was captured using the 45WR, 3-flashes and a total of 4-waterdops. f/16 blub mode (open 1-second) ISO 400.

Attachments

Craig Stocks

Close up with a Canon 24 TS-E and IQ3 100MP using a Cambo WRC-400 and Canon adapter. It's not really a macro lens but it does focus amazingly close. Shot with the lens wide open at f/3.5 and some reverse tilt and shift to compress the DOF. Light was from an LED light wand.

I also included a BTS shot showing the setup.

Attachments

jng

I recently picked up a "new" lens for macros and started having some fun with it...

H12_04_2018_26-36-stacked-sq-small.jpg
Impatiens bud

X1D | Zeiss 120/5.6 S-Planar | f/11 @ 1:2
11-image focus stack

dave.gt

Close up with a Canon 24 TS-E and IQ3 100MP using a Cambo WRC-400 and Canon adapter. It's not really a macro lens but it does focus amazingly close. Shot with the lens wide open at f/3.5 and some reverse tilt and shift to compress the DOF. Light was from an LED light wand.

Wow! Don, I have been so busy with medical things lately, I missed your posts! I am blown away with your images and I love them. You must have a great technique! Thanks for sharing and making my morning.

dave.gt

I recently picked up a "new" lens for macros and started having some fun with it...

View attachment 137788
Impatiens bud

X1D | Zeiss 120/5.6 S-Planar | f/11 @ 1:2
11-image focus stack
Heck yes, that is an extremely good lens by the looks of it! Nice image, John!

One of these days I might actually get to use a macro capable lens, but until then, keep posting, I love it!:thumbup:

Don Libby

Decided to shoot water for the last time in 2018 and came away with this one.

GFX50s, GF120 with 45 WR MCEX attached. f/11 bulb mode ISO 400 processed in C1-12

This reminds me of a Shidhi Odoshi Japanese water fountain. Let you imagination run free...

Attachments

dave.gt

Decided to shoot water for the last time in 2018 and came away with this one.

GFX50s, GF120 with 45 WR MCEX attached. f/11 bulb mode ISO 400 processed in C1-12

This reminds me of a Shidhi Odoshi Japanese water fountain. Let you imagination run free...
Wow, Don!

This is stunning! Inspiring!
I have much to learn from you!:thumbs:

Don Libby

Wow, Don!

This is stunning! Inspiring!
I have much to learn from you!:thumbs:
Dave, thank you so much for those very kind words.

I've written a couple blog posts on the subject of waterdrops and need to add more. The more we shoot the more we learn. What I've found so far is that each time is different and poses it's own set of issues. Humidity and temperature of the studio (we shoot in our garage) plays an important role. The solution of the water to be dropped is equally important. The slightest breeze will effect the outcome as well. We have had great success dropping waterdrops from 3-syphons on top of each other yet going back the very next day it's like we begin from scratch all over again. Our goal next year is to have 2 formations next to each other.

What we have learned is the placement of the 3-flashes as well as a general idea of where the drops are landing in order to get most of them in focus. I've shot from f/8 to f/32 and seem to like either f/11 or f/32 the most. The ISO of the GFX is very forgiving and will normally keep it at 400 unless I'm stopping down to f/32 then 1000 is spot on.

Speaking of spots - I shoot using the GF120 either naked (the lens that is) or with either the 18 or 45 WR extenders and prefer the 45. I tried using both and found the lens was too close to the water getting the lens wet. I also try to keep the shade on in order to protect the front from splashes.

There's a hell of a lot more to this and it can become addictive. The last shoot we did lasted several hours and ran north of 500 files.

More later...

dave.gt

Thanks, Don,

That is a great insight to the work you do and it is very impressive!

Been thinking most of the day about all it takes you to do a shoot. It is always good to hear the stories behind the images.:):):)

drunkenspyder

That is lovely.

jng

After a few weeks of travel, I returned home to find our Camellia bush in full bloom, just as I did almost exactly 26 years ago when we arrived at our (then) new home.

2019-01-27 17-39-56 (A,Radius1,Smoothing2).jpg

Cambo WRS1250 | IQ3 100 | Zeiss 120mm S-Planar | f/11 | 17-image focus stack