Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Medium Format Macros Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Medium Format Macros Anyone?

Spring is here! I am looking for inspiration for macro images. While I await the extraordinary colorful blooms in our little rose garden I installed last year(s)... I need your images to fill my empty mind (did I really say that?). Well, I am a blank sheet of paper. The 503 with the 55mm extension tube is ready to go.

I am considering picking up a cheap flat of flowers at the nursery for motifs. But, since I will be shooting film, I must make wise choices.

I just know there are passionate macro photographers on this forum.. show us what you like! I look forward to being inspired by you and posting my results eventually on the Fun with MF Images thread!
    Dave (GT)

Best quote of the day: "Always be kind to others, behind every face is some kind of pain."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Medium Format Macros Anyone?

Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will,

Thank you... this is a good start!
    What lens were you using for these images?
    Dave (GT)

Best quote of the day: "Always be kind to others, behind every face is some kind of pain."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Those were taken with a Pentax 645 120mm manual focus macro lens on a Pentax 645D. The lens is able to go to 1:1.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave!

I have a bunch of macros but these follow the flower motif ....

I always grab the camera whenever the wife brings flowers home ... usually when we are
    entertaining company.

Hasselblad X1D Pentax P67 100 Macro

Leica S2-P Pentax P67 100 Macro

Think you might want to use the studio Hasselblad and import the files to iPhone or iPad with the camera connection kit.
    LR or PS to work and submit to the forum. No computer needed. Just a thought.

Regards,

Bob
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob, those flowers are gorgeous. I am waiting for our late Spring tulips to bloom but you gave me a great idea... the local grocery store usually has potted tulips that I can pick up for little money. Then I can shoot those.

Our roses are a few weeks off but they are coming in strong!

Ha! It is odd that you mention the wifi from the H5... yes, I could get the images to the phone. Had not thought of that I guess because I have been overwhelmed lately.

But how do I resize the jpegs for the forum? If I knew how to do that, I would post soon!
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Bob, those flowers are gorgeous. I am waiting for our late Spring tulips to bloom but you gave me a great idea... the local grocery store usually has potted tulips that I can pick up for little money. Then I can shoot those.

Our roses are a few weeks off but they are coming in strong!

Ha! It is odd that you mention the wifi from the H5... yes, I could get the images to the phone. Had not thought of that I guess because I have been overwhelmed lately.

But how do I resize the jpegs for the forum? If I knew how to do that, I would post soon!
    Dave,

Joe Colson has a most wonderful app "Frameshop" ... but may not be phone centric.

Just select photo and resize with the long size no larger than 1200 pixels.

Save as JPG with sRGB ... I use quality of 10 but you can experiment to see if 7 or 8 gives you decent
    image on line.

Best,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Dave,

Joe Colson has a most wonderful app "Frameshop" ... but may not be phone centric.

Just select photo and resize with the long size no larger than 1200 pixels.

Save as JPG with sRGB ... I use quality of 10 but you can experiment to see if 7 or 8 gives you decent
    image on line.

Best,

Bob
    Thanks for the information, Bob! I will check on that!
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

I've shot this on Mamiya 645 Provia 100 with Pentacon bellows adapted to m645 and a Canon FD 50mm reverse mounted onto the Pentacon bellows. Macro doesn't have to be flowers and bugs.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad 501CM
    Hasselblad CFV-50c Digital Back
    Hasselblad Carl Zeiss lens - Planar T* 80mm f2.8 CFE lens
    Hasselblad Extension Tube 32E (32mm)

Crepe Myrtle Flower (in the wild, not the studio)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Crepe Myrtle, wow, I learn something new all the time! I guess I have never gotten close enough to one to see such a stunning image of a star surrounded by a glove of blooms!

Stunning.

The 32mm extension tube is on my list to pick up for tight framing. The 55 I currently use is really for very close in work. I like this a lot!
    Last edited by dave.gt; 13th March 2018 at 16:47.
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The last Clematis bloom from last Fall:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AdobePhotoshopExpress_2018_03_13_20:42:08.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	133010
    Dave (GT)

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, Bob,

Thank you for nudging me in the right direction. The image above was straight from the cropped version from the H5D (I like the square!)...

I installed Photoshop Express (PS Express app) on the iPhone and set the long side at 1200. Worked like a charm!

Thank you, my friend.
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=Abstraction;754172]

I've shot this on Mamiya 645 Provia 100 with Pentacon bellows adapted to m645 and a Canon FD 50mm reverse mounted onto the Pentacon bellows. Macro doesn't have to be flowers and bugs.[/QUOTE

Your are correct, macros can be anything actually. I have a friend who does macro for a living, not just botanicals but things with light, movement or anything that makes for an appealing composition including melting ice. He sells his work to clients who have hotels,offices, and retail businesses.
    Last edited by dave.gt; 13th March 2018 at 17:31.
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

The last Clematis bloom from last Fall:

Name:	AdobePhotoshopExpress_2018_03_13_20:42:08.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	133010
    Beautiful.

Looks like you are back in the saddle.

Hallelujah

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Bob...

This was from last Spring, a tiny bloom that struggled through the adversity of winter.

Hasselblad 503cxi 80mm, 55mm extension tube/Ektar 100:

Name:  IMG_1615.JPG
Views: 1755
Size:  545.6 KB
    Dave (GT)

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Naturally, medium-format does not have to be limited to macro. This is from a 6x12 film back on a microscope. It is an image of a record (remember those). The groove is black, with the top of the surface in a rainbow color. The color comes from a microscope technique know as Differential Interference Contrast (DIC).

Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=Shashin;754247]Naturally, medium-format does not have to be limited to macro. This is from a 6x12 film back on a microscope. It is an image of a record (remember those). The groove is black, with the top of the surface in a rainbow color. The color comes from a microscope technique know as Differential Interference Contrast (DIC).

Will, that is very cool!!! I could see that hanging in my wall!

Love it, and the dialogue behind the image makes it even better!

Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Naturally, medium-format does not have to be limited to macro. This is from a 6x12 film back on a microscope. It is an image of a record (remember those). The groove is black, with the top of the surface in a rainbow color. The color comes from a microscope technique know as Differential Interference Contrast (DIC).

Will this is excellent! Could you briefly describe your setup? Are you able to get an image circle from the microscope optics that covers the 6x12 back?

Thanks,
    David

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=dave.gt;754243]
    Quote Originally Posted by Abstraction View Post

I've shot this on Mamiya 645 Provia 100 with Pentacon bellows adapted to m645 and a Canon FD 50mm reverse mounted onto the Pentacon bellows. Macro doesn't have to be flowers and bugs.[/QUOTE

Your are correct, macros can be anything actually. I have a friend who does macro for a living, not just botanicals but things with light, movement or anything that makes for an appealing composition including melting ice. He sells his work to clients who have hotels,offices, and retail businesses.
    That's a nice niche he has created for himself. Do you by any chance have a link to his site? I'd love to see his work

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by davidsuchoff View Post
    Will this is excellent! Could you briefly describe your setup? Are you able to get an image circle from the microscope optics that covers the 6x12 back?

Thanks,
    David
    David, this was taken with an Olympus Vanox research microscope. It dated from the late 70s early 80s. At that vintage, those microscopes had 4x5 cameras, mostly for Polaroids. However, the camera will take any 4x5 sheet film holder or, in my case, Graflock roll film backs. I used both Horseman 6x12 and Rollei 6x6 backs on the scope. 4x5 camera had relay optics specifically to cover the film area. 35mm cameras can also be used with these scopes, but without the additional optics (there is a projection lens at the top of the trinocular head which is needed to project an image for either camera).

This is also an episcopic scope--it images opaque objects and sometimes are referred to as material scopes. Diascopic is the more usual biological instrument that shines light through the specimen. My scope came fitted with DIC. I did add an electronic shutter with exposure control to replace the mechanical shutter. Research microscopes are basically frames where optics and techniques like DIC or Phase Contrast are added. My frame had both diascopic and episcopic light paths, but was missing the substage condenser for the diascopic path.

I bought the scope on ebay. I searched the business and industrial section to find the scope. It is also a good place to find parts and accessories depending on the vintage of the scope. The Vanox I bought was the top of the line research microscope of the day. But it is also out of production making a really good deal.

I am not sure how much you know about microscopes (I ran a microscope imaging lab), but this is the best site about microscopy: https://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great! Thank you for the info. I'm somewhat familiar with microscopes. I do macro work adapting mitutoyo microscope objectives, but I love the idea of being able to adapt my Fuji GFX to a microscope for higher magnification. Are these finite objectives or are you able to adapt the microscope with a tube lens for use of infinite objectives?

David

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    David, this was taken with an Olympus Vanox research microscope. It dated from the late 70s early 80s. At that vintage, those microscopes had 4x5 cameras, mostly for Polaroids. However, the camera will take any 4x5 sheet film holder or, in my case, Graflock roll film backs. I used both Horseman 6x12 and Rollei 6x6 backs on the scope. 4x5 camera had relay optics specifically to cover the film area. 35mm cameras can also be used with these scopes, but without the additional optics (there is a projection lens at the top of the trinocular head which is needed to project an image for either camera).

This is also an episcopic scope--it images opaque objects and sometimes are referred to as material scopes. Diascopic is the more usual biological instrument that shines light through the specimen. My scope came fitted with DIC. I did add an electronic shutter with exposure control to replace the mechanical shutter. Research microscopes are basically frames where optics and techniques like DIC or Phase Contrast are added. My frame had both diascopic and episcopic light paths, but was missing the substage condenser for the diascopic path.

I bought the scope on ebay. I searched the business and industrial section to find the scope. It is also a good place to find parts and accessories depending on the vintage of the scope. The Vanox I bought was the top of the line research microscope of the day. But it is also out of production making a really good deal.

I am not sure how much you know about microscopes (I ran a microscope imaging lab), but this is the best site about microscopy: https://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great! Thank you for the info. I'm somewhat familiar with microscopes. I do macro work adapting mitutoyo microscope objectives, but I love the idea of being able to adapt my Fuji GFX to a microscope for higher magnification. Are these finite objectives or are you able to adapt the microscope with a tube lens for use of infinite objectives?

David
    David, the Vanox had a specific tube length. However, what is in the light path to cover a larger image plane is a rely lens. Simply projecting a microscope objective will not get you the coverage you need. However, the projection lens is basically an eyepiece. So, if you can place an eyepiece in your system, then you may be able to cover the 33 x 44 sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

Ladybug hunting. Love the flower pictures. With spring springing, they have inspired me to get out into the yard.

P1 | Trichro | Schneider 120M | f/4 | 1/320 | ISO 50
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Guinée Rose my partner planted in the warm setting sunlight. She planted three rose bands last year, and this year, these climbers have just exploded.

Cambo 1600 | Trichro Back | S-K 120M | f/11 | 1/100 | ISO 100

Post Thanks / Like

A few flexible nibs. IQ180, Rodie 120 macro, bit of stacking

Completely off topic, but why does my LR export to jpg always shift to the red?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trio.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	133407  
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A closeup of some tiny red flowers my wife has growing in a pot. Phase One XF / IQ3100 with a Phase One 120mm macro. This is a focus stack of 42 frames.

I've also included an iPhone snapshot that shows the size of the flowers.

Name:	redflowers.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	600.1 KB 
ID:	133410  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Semi abstract photo of two forks, a spoon and a mirror. I used an LED light wand to lightpaint the scene. Phase one XF / IQ3100, Phase One 120 mm macro lens. Composite of two frames, one for the main subject and a separate frame for the background. Too bad I didn't have brand new silverware without scratches.

Name:	forknspoon.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	763.5 KB 
ID:	133411  
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's the eye of a cicada. XF/100/120BR Macro. The bottom picture shows the full frame. The image is close to 1:1, as the Cicada is only a little longer than the vertical field of the sensor - 55 mm. .

Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

1:4 magnification with my Gigapan. Just click on Daisies in a Garden.

Daisies in a garden

Here's the setup with 1:1 magnfication, but those came out weird looking.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

from last year, contax 645 120mm makro and iq180

cicade by 0verexposed, auf Flickr

cicade by 0verexposed, auf Flickr
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=drevil;755656]from last year, contax 645 120mm makro and iq180

Impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

Two other Guinée Roses. Both of these are focus stacks, and both require additional retouching work. But because these are just test shots, I probably won't invest that effort in these images. What I learned here is that, in very low light [this was pre-sunrise], I have to use a visual focusing aid to calibrate the location of the far/near focus points. And I am going to decrease the number of images shot. This many images can make it difficult to find the perfect frame for each layer of retouching, especially when the subject has so many convoluted edges.

P1 | Trichro |S-K LS 120M | f/6.3 | 1/6s | ISO 50 | 67 frame stack

P1 | Trichro | S-K LS 120M | f/5 | .4s | ISO 100 | 70 frame stack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stocks View Post
    A closeup of some tiny red flowers my wife has growing in a pot. Phase One XF / IQ3100 with a Phase One 120mm macro. This is a focus stack of 42 frames.

I've also included an iPhone snapshot that shows the size of the flowers.
    Love that image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful roses, Greg.

Our rose garden is coming on still after being nipped back by the cold weather... maybe a few more weeks as the buds are just now visible. I must look into the Guinee roses.

For now, still shooting our late Spring Tulips:

Name:	Backyard Tulip FINAL 2018.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	133418
    Dave (GT)

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful roses, Greg.

Our rose garden is coming on still after being nipped back by the cold weather... maybe a few more weeks as the buds are just now visible. I must look into the Guinee roses.

For now, still shooting our late Spring Tulips:
    That's just beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

My partner's orchids. 113 frame stack in Helicon Focus. I thought I had framed enough to avoid image cutoff during the stacking, but I lost some pixels on the left and right petals.

P1 XF | Trichro | f/4.5 | 1/4s | ISO 100
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another orchid shot, this one a 150-image stack. Unretouched in Helicon Focus. I have a composition problem or three, but am really pleased with the XF's focus stacking and HF's ability to handle a lot of large files.

P1 XF | S-K LS 120M | Trichro | f/4.5 | .1s | ISO 100
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a lovely Daffodil. This image was stacked using Zerene stacker software. I believe it was a total of ~40 images.

Name:  2018-03-10-18.53.09 ZS retouched-2.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  420.3 KB

Fuji GFX50s | Arca-Swiss Universalis II | Schneider Kreuznach Apo-macro digitar 120 | ISO 100
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

28 image stack of purple salvia in light mist.

P1 XF | Trichro | S-K LS 120M | f/5 | 1/60s | ISO 100

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a lovely Daffodil. This image was stacked using Zerene stacker software. I believe it was a total of ~40 images.
    Fuji GFX50s | Arca-Swiss Universalis II | Schneider Kreuznach Apo-macro digitar 120 | ISO 100
    Love the daffodil. Did you use any auxiliary light or flash?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenspyder View Post
    Love the daffodil. Did you use any auxiliary light or flash?
    Yes, a Paul C. Buff Einstein E640 strobe with a 47" octabox.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, a Paul C. Buff Einstein E640 strobe with a 47" octabox.
    Excellent. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Snail on Bird of Paradise. This little guy thwarted my focus/depth-of-field efforts, and stacking was not going well with the erratic breezes, so I settled for this image.

P1 XF | Trichro | S-K LS 120M | f/6.3 | 1/40s | ISO 100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's an anemone at ~1.5x. This is a stack of ~ 35 images using Zerene stacker.

Name:  2018-02-28-16.50.06 ZS PMax.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  668.7 KB

Fuji GFX50s | Arca-swiss Universalis II | Sk Apo-Macro Digitar 120 | 1/125s

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wiw! Great stuff everyone, you are raising the bar very high!!!
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hibiscus Pollen Sac
    Fuji GFX with Nikon 4X microscope objective
    23 image stack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DF | P25 | 120mm Macro Handheld

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is excellent. Is the objective finite or infinite? Does it produce an image circle big enough to cover the sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by Shreyas View Post

Hibiscus Pollen Sac
    23 image stack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shreyas View Post
    Hibiscus Pollen Sac
    23 image stack
    Excellent indeed.