The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya RZ tilt Shift adaptor - help!

PeterA

There are a few guys who use the RZPro11D and I am hoping that someone can help me here..

I have a Mamiya tilt shift adaptor and I have a problem.

The RZ works perfectly with my Sinar back and RZ adaptor. I use the connecting cord supplied by Sinar and connect the back to the lens flash sync and Bob's your uncle.

When I attach the tilt shift bellows accessory however, I note the following:

1. It doesnt work by attaching the same cord to the same lens sync socket and digi back.

2. So I checked on Mamiya site - no instructions..

3. I noticed that on Mamiya site - there is a little connecting cable apparently connecting the tilt shift bellows to the camera body. I dont have one of these - do I need one? I also cant see where I would connect this little gadget on the bellows and then the body?

4. I have a Mamiya cable thing with two screw in plungers connected to a single trigger. This connects to the sync socket on lens but not to my Sinar back.

So I dont have any instruction for using this tilt shift bellows thing - and I dont know what the little connector that is pictured next to the device on the mamya site site is and I dont know what the double trigger Mmaiya thing that I have is for.

I would appreciate any information help here in getting this tilt shift up and running.

thanks
Pete

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Pete:

The little connector you are referring to is possibly the one that is an extension socket to allow for the grip trigger or electronic release to connect to the body when the TS unit is mounted -- it has a thinner plug end to fit more easily between the TS bellows and body socket. You don't need it for your particular grip because it was modified to work directly :)))

If your set-up works with the back connected to the PC socket on the lens, then it should work identically with the lens mounted to the TS device. However, if you are using a different lens like an SB on the TS unit, then it may be that particular lens' pc socket is bad -- did you try firing the Sinar back with that same lens connected directly to the camera? I realize it won't focus that way unless you have the special tube, but at least you can confirm the lens in question is working properly.

Cheers,

PeterA

Hi Jack

Thanks for that suggestion - makes sense.. I will try the 180 SB on it tonight. I havent tried the tilt shift mechanism before with any lens and couldnt figure out what the heck was going on...

I will also try teh 75 SB on its own - ie without the tilt shift adaptor...from memory it was one of the items I bought from CI..

Thanks for your input.
Pete

fotografz

Pete, mine works fine with no extra connecting cords ... just the sync cord from lens to digital back. This is with both the 70SB and 180SB.

I have the standard electronic trigger, and it does stop me from some close focusing ... so I guess I need the thingy Jack was talking about.

Marc

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Marc:

You can power sand about 2mm of rubber off the back side of the grip release plug without going through and presto, enough clearance. Not sure on the electro release plug though as I never used one of them...

fotografz

Thanks Jack,

the electric release plugs into the opposite side and is rubber, but still interfers.

I just remembered that I have a drop down J shaped cable release adapter for my Hassey (same reason) that'll probably solve the problem.