The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider Kreuznach 120mm variations (for tech cam)

tylerallenmohr

I've been looking at tech cam lenses with medium-longer focal length to add to my Alpa kit. The SK-120mm image samples I've seen here and other places have caught my eye many times. They seem very sharp with a pleasing characteristics in their results.

Does anyone here have experience with these and know what the pros/cons might be with Symmar/APO-Helvetar/APO-Digitar versions? It seems a shame they have been discontinued, at least in Alpa mounts anyways. Have they been replaced by superior alternatives?

Kindly,

Tyler

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
There are several versions of this lens as you're no doubt aware. I can only speak to the 120/5.6 APO Digitar (non-ASPH) version which I find to be an excellent lens in the field. I shoot it with my Actus DB+ but it would be the same on any of the platforms.

Back in 2013 Schneider did produce the 120/5.6 APO-Digitar ASPH which was apparently a new redesign for higher resolution sensors. Given the choice, that's what I'd go for these days if you can find one.

There is also the M variant specifically designed for macro use.

As far as newer versions, there aren't any since Schneider stopped making technical camera lenses a few years ago and so what you see out there in the market is all there is ...

Pemihan

I have the 120/5.6 APO-Digitar ASPH and it is stellar. Haven't used the older non ASPH M or N versions so can't speak about those.
Here's an image shot with the IQ160.

vjbelle

I have the Aspherical version of the 120mm - its a very impressive lens. Since I mostly shoot with longer lenses this fits perfectly with a 3 lens setup (72,120,180). There are lots of satisfied users of the prior version "N" so if you happen to come across one you may want to seriously consider it.

Victor

jagsiva

I have the 120/5.6 APO ASPH in Arca mount and it is a fantastic lens. Small in size and very large IC and great IQ. As far as I know this was the last version they made.