The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

rm3di and IQ3100

strok

Hi guys, I have a question if IQ3100 has any issues with rm3di lenses?
What would be the best wide angle lens for a rm3di with iq3100?
thank you

Paul2660

I would consider either the Rodenstock 32mm HR-W or 40mm HR-W. Both are blue rings.

23 and or 28 will work but movement is very limited.

Would also consider the center filter for 23, 28 and 32mm.

Paul Caldwell

JohnBrew

I have a 40 HR-W in RM3di mount for sale right now, if interested. It is almost new condition. Me, personally, I would'nt want to go any wider, but some people rave about the 32. FYI.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
40 works well on tech cameras. I used it on my rm3di, recently converted it to my Actus DB. 28 is pushing it, I really can't get any movement left/right, maybe 2 or 3 up and down. the center filter to me is a must. To be honest without any shifts I still have occasional issues that I struggle with more so than with the IQ380.

Haven't used the 32, but considering trading the 28 in on one.

I really wish someone would tackle this problem either with the sensor or some new lens designs. I must admit I tire of having to work with LCC's all the time. I'm sure there isn't enough market to justify it, so it's really is a wish that I'm sure won't come true.

med

I have and like the Schneider 43 APO-Digitar for my rm3di; it’s small and has good coverage, however it doesn’t get much love around here at all. Has anyone that ended up with the much more popular Rodie 40 HR compared it against the Schneider 43? I would love to try the 40 but it’s a lot of money to plunk down just to see what I’m missing!

Aviv1887

I use the SK43mm on my IQ3100 and it works great. I love the way the SK lenses render and prefer them over the RS lenses. You do need to use the cf filters more often. I haven't done a clear SK43-RS40mm test though.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Our tech camera testing (IQ250 + tech camera and IQ3 100mp + tech camera) included:

32HR
40HR
47XL
50HR
60XL
90HR-SW

Other testing we've done included the 23HR, 17TS, and 24TS. I've also personally used the 43XL in my personal work, but did not have one at the office during the times of the more formal/encompassing tests.

Phase One has done a great job with their improved LCC routine and their implementation of the electronic shutter. It makes the Schneider lenses much more usable and makes the Canon TS lenses much more practical than previous options. However, in general, if you can afford the weight/size/cost of the Rodenstock line it is still our default suggestion.

Notably Capture One has lens correction profiles for the Rodenstock 23, 32, 35, 40, 50, 70 and 90.

Wherever possible I'd suggest working with a dealer with extensive tech camera experience who can both provide you practical guidance, relevant raw files, and most importantly the option to test various options before you commit to a purchase.

dchew

I have and like the Schneider 43 APO-Digitar for my rm3di; it’s small and has good coverage, however it doesn’t get much love around here at all. Has anyone that ended up with the much more popular Rodie 40 HR compared it against the Schneider 43? I would love to try the 40 but it’s a lot of money to plunk down just to see what I’m missing!
I originally had the 43xl, then when Alpa came out with the 17 ts adapter I purchased the 40hr and sold the 43xl so I could tilt on the Alpa. I had both lenses fo a while and liked them both. It was a while ago, but from what I remember the 40hr was slightly sharper. If I could have tilted with the 43 I would have kept it because it is smaller. There was not a dramatic difference. You can also shift the 40hr about 5mm further than the 43xl.

Keep in mind the 40 is really a 42mm (41.85), so it is about the equivalent of a 27mm in 135 "FF" format.

Dave

Last edited:

med

I originally had the 43xl, then when Alpa came out with the 17 ts adapter I purchased the 40hr and sold the 43xl so I could tilt on the Alpa. I had both lenses fo a while and liked them both. It was a while ago, but from what I remember the 40hr was slightly sharper. If I could have tilted with the 43 I would have kept it because it is smaller. There was not a dramatic difference. You can also shift the 40hr about 5mm further than the 43xl.

Keep in mind the 40 is really a 42mm (41.85), so it is about the equivalent of a 27mm in 135 "FF" format.

Dave
Interesting about your shift comments... on my RM3Di I can’t hit the edge of the image circle on the 43xl with either 48x36mm or 44x33mm sensors with +/-15mm of shift. The DT lens visualizer also shows that the 43XL has a larger image circle. Was your shift limit for the 43XL based on illumination, or IQ/lens cast?

And thanks for helping cool my desire to acquire the 40HR!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Interesting about your shift comments... on my RM3Di I can’t hit the edge of the image circle on the 43xl with either 48x36mm or 44x33mm sensors with +/-15mm of shift. The DT lens visualizer also shows that the 43XL has a larger image circle. Was your shift limit for the 43XL based on illumination, or IQ/lens cast?

You should review the notes at the bottom of the visualizer regarding Schneider vs Rodenstock image circles.

Geoff

Dave
The 43 won’t accept tilt? Is this a mechl issue, or a lens issue?
Thanks,
Geoff

dchew

It was based on the 54x40 IQ180 comparison I did, lens cast limited. I would have to go back and find the images, but from memory I could shift the 43xl 10-12mm before the LCC would desaturate the colors, depending on the subject. Note that was not the new improved LCC process in C1 v10+.

The 43 won’t accept tilt? Is this a mechl issue, or a lens issue?
Thanks,
Geoff
Geoff,
It is an Alpa issue. The mount on the 43xl is too short to work as a "short-barrel" and fit with their 17mm TS adapter. The widest Schneider lens you can tilt with on the Alpa is the 60xl because of their symmetrical design. With Rodenstock you can tilt down to 32mm.

Dave

med

You should review the notes at the bottom of the visualizer regarding Schneider vs Rodenstock image circles.
Yes, I'm aware of the differences of how Rodenstock and Schneider classify their circles, and that Schneider is less conservative, however the specified image circle of the 43XL should theoretically allow for ~12mm more of shift compared to the 40HR. Since Dave mentioned the 40HR had 5mm more shift than the 43XL, I was surprised as I seriously doubt Schneider is that (~17mm) lax with their specs!

It was based on the 54x40 IQ180 comparison I did, lens cast limited. I would have to go back and find the images, but from memory I could shift the 43xl 10-12mm before the LCC would desaturate the colors, depending on the subject. Note that was not the new improved LCC process in C1 v10+.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

Steve Hendrix

Geoff,
It is an Alpa issue. The mount on the 43xl is too short to work as a "short-barrel" and fit with their 17mm TS adapter. The widest Schneider lens you can tilt with on the Alpa is the 60xl because of their symmetrical design. With Rodenstock you can tilt down to 32mm.

Dave

Note that T/S Adaption is possible with Cambo WRS and Arca Swiss R Series.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Geoff

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know.