The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D blurred pictures

gmfotografie

Today I took some snapshoots testing the workflow of the X1D.
From about 20 Pictures I have 2 pictures very blurred on my card.

Can anybody tells me whats going on here?

B0000047.jpg

drevil

Staff member
100% electronic shutter, i have the same with my gfx. when i use ES, i always use a tripod

sog1927

I agree - the "stretching" of the subject is a dead giveaway. Remember, the read-out time for the electronic shutter is about 3/10 second. If you or your subject should move during that interval you're going to end up with some very odd effects. The same sort of thing used to occur on large format press cameras with [very slow] focal plane shutters. Here's an example of that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal...1209-503,_Autorennen_im_Grunewald,_Berlin.jpg

Even though the shutter speed in this photograph is fast enough to stop the motion of the car, the motion of the (narrow) slit in the focal plane shutter causes the wheels and the car to appear to "lean" forward. The same thing (only more pronounced) will happen with the ES in the x1d - the slit in a Speed Graphic FP shutter completes its travel about 5 times faster than the Sony sensor readout time.

You see similar effects with large-format scanning backs. This "problem" can be used to produce some pretty interesting images:
http://www.betterlight.com/misuse_feature/misuse.html

sog1927

Thank you all - I had no experience with ES. Everything is clear
In my grandfather's 1952 copy of Aaron Sussman's The Amateur Photographer's Handbook (which I enthusiastically read as a pre-teen some 50 years ago), there was a significant amount of text devoted to this problem, since a lot of amateurs (my grandfather included) were regularly using Speed Graphics or Graflex 4x5 SLRs, which had vertically-travelling focal plane shutters. I was not surprised by this issue. :D

Plus ça change, I guess.

I still have his Speed Graphic, by the way.