The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help! Intermittent problem with Mamiya RZ iiD

anwarp

Hi

I recently acquired a Mamiya RZ iiD. I have an intermittent problem I'm finding rather difficult to diagnose. Any pointers from experienced users of this camera will be well appreciated! If you've experienced a similar problem, please let me know.

Basically, I find that the when I press the shutter release button, nothing happens. However, if I move the shutter mode to mechanical and then back to normal mode (i.e. move the ring to orange spot and back to the white spot), the shutter will invariably fire.

If the amber LED in the viewfinder lights up, warning that the shutter needs to be cocked, I can use the cocking lever and the camera will fire. If the LED does not light up, it wil not fire and I have to move the shutter mode ring to mechanical and back again, before it will work.

Rarely, it will not fire even when I turn it off and on again. And then I need to do it a second time before it works.

I have eliminated all peripherals and isolated the problem down to the body only by setting the body in multiple exposure mode and setting the shutter speed dial to RBL (i.e. RB Lens mode). I can replicate the same behaviour I have described above in this mode too. So it's not the back or the lens causing a problem.

Now for the more technical minded:
I plugged in my multimeter to monitor the current draw from the battery and I noticed something interesting.
With nothing connected, the camera will draw about 3.5 mA. In this state the shutter will not release. If the orange lamp comes on and then goes out, it draws about 7 mA. In this state it will fire. Similarly, when I turn it on if it draws only 3 mA it will not fire, but if it draws about 7mA on being turned on, it will fire.

This seems to indicate that something is not ready to fire the trigger, unless sufficient current is drawn.

Thanks for reading,

Anwar