The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format on Safari

ndwgolf

Guys
I’m heading back to Tanzania in September for a 7 day safari. When I was there 2 years ago I took Nikon gear with me and got some amazing pictures. This time I’m thinking of taking my H6D100c.............. stupid or feasible??
Neil

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Having shot many safaris with various gear, I’d just class shooting MF as ‘different’ in terms of what, when and how you shoot. If you’re after eyeballs and teeth shots or action then it’ll be more difficult if not almost impossible to shoot to get the quality of 100mp without raising iso or allowing for monopod stabilized slower shots.

Now if you’re done with those types of shots then certainly more environmental / wider images are very doable. See some of Andy Biggs work.

Back to Africa - The Global Photographer - The Global Photographer - Andy Biggs's blog

Last edited:

ejpeiker

Andy Biggs is a fairly well known African Safari leader and he uses Phase so it's definitely feasible ;)

ndwgolf

Update
I have found myself a like new HC300 plus 1.7 TC from my mate Peter so its on. I will take

H6D100c HC300, HC100 and HC50 II and a 1.7 TC
Leica Binoculars
Ballhead and clamp (for on top of the jeep) and a Tripod.........Jeep comes with Bean Bags as well

Thats it.......no back up just take the above

Neil

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Update
I have found myself a like new HC300 plus 1.7 TC from my mate Peter so its on. I will take

H6D100c HC300, HC100 and HC50 II and a 1.7 TC
Leica Binoculars
Ballhead and clamp (for on top of the jeep) and a Tripod.........Jeep comes with Bean Bags as well

Thats it.......no back up just take the above

Neil
Looks like a perfect set of lenses for MF . I use the HC 300 with my Leica S system and it is a terrific lens . Wish I could use the 1.7TC with my S but it will not connect for AF .

I don t think I could do a trip of this importance and expense without a backup plan . Probably ten years ago Michael Reichman of Luminous Landscape did a similar trip and had major equipment breakdown with his HB gear . It can happen with the very best stuff . I travel with two S bodies and I plan for some overlap in lenses . I keep a backup body and a standard lens (70MM) in my locked luggage .
If you consider that a lens might fail ...replace the 100 with a 150 and 80 . Then with the 1.7x you have a fall back for lens failure in the most used range . Consider a HB X1D rental ?

ndwgolf

Looks like a perfect set of lenses for MF . I use the HC 300 with my Leica S system and it is a terrific lens . Wish I could use the 1.7TC with my S but it will not connect for AF .

I don t think I could do a trip of this importance and expense without a backup plan . Probably ten years ago Michael Reichman of Luminous Landscape did a similar trip and had major equipment breakdown with his HB gear . It can happen with the very best stuff . I travel with two S bodies and I plan for some overlap in lenses . I keep a backup body and a standard lens (70MM) in my locked luggage .
If you consider that a lens might fail ...replace the 100 with a 150 and 80 . Then with the 1.7x you have a fall back for lens failure in the most used range . Consider a HB X1D rental ?
Glen I've thought about what you said there at the end regarding a failure so I might just take my S007 body and HC adapter with me as a back up............

Neil

Jeffrey

I used my Phase One gear while on safari in Namibia where there are amazing landscapes to capture. I did capture some wildlife, but the animals were for the most part standing still or sitting. The gear worked phenomenally well.

I used my Nikon gear in Kenya where at times I needed a 500mm lens for the image. I had two bodies with different focal length lenses attached; changing lenses in the dusty areas is not a good idea!

My caution to you is to be sure you check with your safari company regarding weight limits for all gear and the outside dimensions of the one bag you are allowed. The weight limit on my two safaris was 20 kg, or 44 lbs. The weight limit includes everything you will be taking with you, clothing included.This is due to the Cessna Caravan aircraft having an overall weight limit particularly when departing from shorter dirt runways. Some flight companies will allow a group to purchase extra seats (not occupied) thereby increasing the weight limit and the number of bags you can take with you.

Will I take my Phase One gear back to Africa? Absolutely!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Like Jeffrey, after 6x photography safaris and having shot the cliche shots to death, I’d certainly take my MF gear next time along with a Nikon D850 & 200-400VR.

Heck, I only needed 250mm for these. Darn it, now I’m missing not going on safari again this year ...

Attachments

ndwgolf

I used my Phase One gear while on safari in Namibia where there are amazing landscapes to capture. I did capture some wildlife, but the animals were for the most part standing still or sitting. The gear worked phenomenally well.

I used my Nikon gear in Kenya where at times I needed a 500mm lens for the image. I had two bodies with different focal length lenses attached; changing lenses in the dusty areas is not a good idea!

My caution to you is to be sure you check with your safari company regarding weight limits for all gear and the outside dimensions of the one bag you are allowed. The weight limit on my two safaris was 20 kg, or 44 lbs. The weight limit includes everything you will be taking with you, clothing included.This is due to the Cessna Caravan aircraft having an overall weight limit particularly when departing from shorter dirt runways. Some flight companies will allow a group to purchase extra seats (not occupied) thereby increasing the weight limit and the number of bags you can take with you.

Jeff
I'm taking;
Leica S007 (body only)....back up to the H6D
Hasselblad H6D100c
HC300
HC100
HC50 II.....maybe leave this at home
Hasselblad 1.7 TC
Leica S to H adapter

So gear weight is ~8 kg

I will probably have the 1.7 TC & HC300mm on the H6D =321mm
HC50 II (If I take it) on the S007 Body = 40mm

Im not going until September so plenty of time to think about it :)

Neil

tylerallenmohr

I'll be on 'Arctic Safari' in Scandinavia next August and plan on bringing a MF setup. Part of me second guesses that and thinks I should also bring a 35mm DSLR with some longer lenses 'just in case.' But I am trying to avoid the overkill this time. I'll just concentrate on capturing the landscapes in photographs and experience the wildlife mainly with my own eyes.

~ Tyler

Jeffrey

To Neil:

Might I suggest your adding to your list:

Laptop and card reader. Power cord for the laptop.
Lens filters and lens cleaning materials. I took a small sensor cleaning kit as well. There is dust literally everywhere!
Will you be in areas where a small lightweight tripod might become useful? Longer exposures at pre-sunrise and after sunset? In Africa these situations can be incredibly beautiful!
I took a small size solid state external hard drive and backed up my computer every night in camp.
None of this stuff weighs a lot but you'll soon find you will approach the weight limit for your bag (if your safari has one.)

It sounds though as your preparations are thorough and excellent.

I'm hoping to go to Tanzania in 2020.

Enjoy!!!

There is some great advice in this thread! Thanks for linking to me, guys. Truly flattered.

I will say this: medium format will not work for a 'normal' photographic safari, nor will it work if you expect to have more than a few images that you like at the end of your time in the African bush. It is, however, a great platform if you want to include more of the environment, don't have fast moving subjects, have time to set up your shots and the environment lends itself to being able to get somewhat close to your subjects.

In the next few hours I will be back home and can dig out some examples of what I have used medium format for, and I will try my best to give the camera, focal length, lens used and location in hopes that it will help you on your own safari. I have used many different cameras and digital backs over the years, with most of them being Phase One cameras, and one thing is consistent: I used the 75-150mm lens the most. I do own the 240mm, however I don't use it that often.

Be back in a little while with some examples.....

Here are some examples of images I have taken over the years while on safari, with some additional metadata to help.....

AndyBiggs_20150226_113009_Tanzania248.jpg
Lioness, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
Phase One DF, IQ250, 240mm, 1/100 @ f/8, ISO 200

AndyBiggs_060213__MaraToto_056.jpg
Lion Pride, Masai Mara, Kenya
Phase One DF, IQ160, 240mm, 1/100 @ f/11, ISO 200

ABiggs_091314_Amboseli332.jpg
Elephant, Amboseli, Kenya
Phase One DF, IQ250, 240mm, 1/800 @ f/10, ISO 400

ABiggs_091414_Amboseli116.jpg
Giraffe, Amboseli, Kenya
Phase One DF, IQ250, 75-150mm lens at 125mm, 1/400 @ f/11, ISO 200

ABiggs_091514_Amboseli023.jpg
Elephants, Amboseli, Kenya
Phase One DF, IQ250, 240mm, 1/1000 @ f/16, ISO 800

AndyBiggs_052213__Grumeti_043.jpg
Giraffe, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
Phase One DF, IQ160, 240mm, 1/320 @ f/11, ISO 100

Abiggs_09222012075333_Selinda061-Edit.jpg
African Wild Dog, Okavango Delta, Botswana
Phase One DF, IQ160, 75-150mm at 75mm, 1/640 @ f/4.5, ISO 400

ABiggs_091514_Amboseli103.jpg
Elephants and Mount Kilimanjaro, Amboseli, Kenya
Phase One DF, IQ250, 75-150mm at 75mm, 1/800 @ f/14, ISO 800

ABiggs_20170519_SingitaGrumeti129.jpg
Giraffe, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
Phase One XF, IQ3 100, 75-150mm at 150mm, 1/1000 @ f/11, ISO 400

ABiggs_091114_MaraPlains065.jpg
Mating Lions, Masai Mara, Kenya
Phase One DF, IQ250, 240mm + 2x TC, 1/1250 @ f/9, ISO 400

Abiggs_03092012_Mara Plains016-Edit.jpg
Cheetah, Masai Mara, Kenya
Pentax 645z, 300mm f/4, 1/1000 @ f/5, ISO 200

Abiggs_03122012_Mara Plains048.jpg
Leopard, Masai Mara, Kenya
Pentax 645z, 400mm f/5.6, 1/125 @ f/5.6, ISO 800

ABiggs_20151117_Sandibe161.jpg
Jumping Lion, Okavango Delta, Botswana
Pentax 645z, 400mm f/5.6, 1/800 @ f/5.6, ISO 3200

ABiggs_20151110_Sandibe017.jpg
Running Buffalo, Okavango Delta, Botswana
Pentax 645z, 300mm f/4, 1/4000 @ f/5.6, ISO 800

ABiggs_20151105_Nxabega014.jpg
Baby Leopard, Okavango Delta, Botswana
Pentax 645z, 400mm f/5.6, 1/250 @ f/8, ISO 1600

ABiggs_20150119_Vumbura042.jpg
Lionesses, Okavango Delta, Botswana
Phase One XF, IQ3 100, 240mm + 2x TC, 1/500 @ f/11, ISO 1600

ABiggs_20150122_Mombo047.jpg
Mating Lions, Okavango Delta, Botswana
Phase One XF, IQ3 100, 240mm, 1/500 @ f/11, ISO 800

here are a few more images from non African destinations....

CF001987.jpg
Sea Lion, Galápagos Islands
Phase One DF, IQ280, 1/200 @ f/5.6, ISO 100

Abiggs_120711__Antarctica162-Edit.jpg
Penguins, Antarctica
Leica S2, 120mm Macro, 1/1000 @ f/8, ISO 320

This has been a very enlightening thread for me, because I am now realizing that most of my favorite shots from medium format have NOT been with my 75-150mm, but rather with longer lenses like the 240mm on my Phase One body. Very interesting.

Anyway, I hope these images help anybody who wishes to go on safari with medium format equipment. My current gear setup for an African wildlife trip looks like this:

Canon 5DmK4
100-400mm
Phase One XF
Phase One IQ3 100
75-150mm
240mm

ndwgolf

Fantastic stuff Andy.......If I can get half as many at half the IQ as yours I will be happy. I will certainly be trying my best to get the best out of my H6D100c along with my HC300, 1.7 TC and HC100mm........maybe take my HC50mm II as well but undecided :) :) :)

Neil

hcubell

Here are some examples of images I have taken over the years while on safari, with some additional metadata to help.....

View attachment 133663
African Wild Dog, Okavango Delta, Botswana
Phase One DF, IQ160, 75-150mm at 75mm, 1/640 @ f/4.5, ISO 400]

The perspective on the photograph of the Wild Dog is interesting. It really makes a difference if you can shoot down at the level of the wildlife. It’s like getting down to the level of children to photograph them. How did you get so low? Having watched in real time a pack of wild dogs hunt and take down a Puku and eat it while it was still alive, I assume you did not get out of your safari vehicle to take the photograph or lean out while holding your camera. [G]

How did you get so low? Having watched in real time a pack of wild dogs hunt and take down a Puku and eat it while it was still alive, I assume you did not get out of your safari vehicle to take the photograph or lean out while holding your camera. [G]
I am going to plead the 5th on this one....

:)