The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

breakthrough x4 nd filters

drevil

Staff member
Maybe this is the wrong forum, but since alot of MF shooters also use ND filters a lot, i give it a try here.

as the title says, is there anyone who has experience with this brand regarding their ND filters?
especially the 10 and 15 stop ones?

i saw a review comparison where they came out top, more or less when it came down to vignetting and no huge color cast.

anyone?

best regards

mirko

jng

I'm very happy with my ND filters from Breakthrough. I have the circular polarizer, 6- and 10-stop ND filters in 67mm mount, as well square 3- and 6-stop and 2-stop graduated ND filters. Color cast is minimal. Build quality is excellent (my 10-stop survived a ~4-foot frop onto lava rock) and the 100x100 and 100x150 filters also fit in the Wine Country Photo filter vaults. I don't notice any vignetting using the 67mm filters on my Rodenstock 40HR. Very pleased over all.

John

kdphotography

The Breakthrough filters are excellent imo, and pricing seems to be less than other similar high quality filter offerings. I like their graduated ND filters.

ken

stevenfr

I have the Breakthrough filters the 3, 6, and 10 ND and the 2 and 3 soft stop graduated filters and the new filter holder. I don't find any colour cast with these filters, they are excellent. As well, the filter holder is easy to use and lightweight. Give them a try. I believe they have a return policy.

Steven

Jeffrey

I love my Breakthrough brand filters and am not having any issues with the images captured when using the filters. I use the filters on my Rodie and Schneider lenses.

The Breakthrough ND6 is the only filter I use these days and it´s an excellent filter with very little color casts. Highly recommended!

retcheto

Has anyone tries the Winecountry Camera NDs? How do they compare to Breakthrough? I just ordered a set from Winecountry with their filter holder so Ill try them out soon

SrMphoto

I am using Haida ND filters, have no issues with color-cast as I had with little and big stoppers.
I have Breakthrough polarizers and am quite happy with them, except for the ribbing/grip on the edge. It makes the filter a little bit larger in diameter and prevents the use of lens hoods. I.e., you have to work without the hood and must remove the filter before storing it in the bag.

JohnBrew

I have 6 and 10 Breakthrough ND's. What I like are the knurled rims, very easy to change on and off. But today I mostly go with Formatt-Hitech due to the more aggressive pricing and I believe they work a bit better. Perhaps the pricing makes me biased?

BTW, the NISI recently finished first in a comparison of CP's (I do realize the subject is ND's!). I purchased one and have to say it is terrific and the price point is very good. I did trial the NISI ND's and found they are perfect, but at the moment I need for nothing in this category.