The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GF 250mm, 1.4x TC, Extension Tubes

jduncan

For all you GFX users out there, the 250mm, 1.4c TC, and extension tubes are now available for preorder.

Links to press releases, product pages, and preorder info:

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm...0f-download-new-x-t20-firmware-live-blogging/

Hi,

Fuji is not giving anyone any truce whatsoever. A new lens, 250mm f4 with image stabilization.
Can you imagine this, on the MF, a few years ago?

It's not that big, or heavy (it weights 1420g vs 1430kg of the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8).

Pricing:

Fuji 250mm f4.0 OIS : $3299.95
Nikon 200mm f2.0 VR (faster) : $5696.95
Canon 200mm f2.0 IS (faster) : $5699.00
P1 costs 240mm f4.5 (slower shorter): $6490.00 [1]
Hasselblad 210mm f4.0 (shorter) : $4950.00 [1]

Some of us love the X1D because it's compact and beautiful, and has the color (out of the camera) that we love.
With the new lenses, the X1D continues to be competitive. This lens is fantastic news for Fuji lovers, and for all of us in the MF comunity.

To borrow from the song "What a difference a year make"

Best regards,

---

[1] The Hasselblad and P1 work with bigger sensors, we don't know if the Fuji does.

Paul2660

I love FUD.

I think it’s fair to assume that if and when a 100MP sensor arrives in the 44x33 crop, the 250mm will work just fine. It’s also fair to assume this 100MP sensor is coming some time this year.

Will it work in a physically larger sensor like the current 55x44 100MP sensor, no not without vignetting. All Fuji GX lenses are designed around the smaller IC required by the 44x33 sensor.

I am also sure this lens will be stellar as all the lenses in the lineup are.

Not happy however to see the price point especially for the TC

Paul Caldwell

hcubell

I love FUD.

I think it’s fair to assume that if and when a 100MP sensor arrives in the 44x33 crop, the 250mm will work just fine. It’s also fair to assume this 100MP sensor is coming some time this year.

Will it work in a physically larger sensor like the current 55x44 100MP sensor, no not without vignetting. All Fuji GX lenses are designed around the smaller IC required by the 44x33 sensor.

I am also sure this lens will be stellar as all the lenses in the lineup are.

Not happy however to see the price point especially for the TC

Paul Caldwell
Looks like another exceptional GFX lens. Even though I don’t shoot with the GFX, I just think it’s great how Fuji keeps raising the bar.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Looks like another exceptional GFX lens. Even though I don’t shoot with the GFX, I just think it’s great how Fuji keeps raising the bar.
:thumbs: Pre-ordered 250/4 & TC already. Looking forward to this new addition since all of the other GF lenses I’ve purchased have been excellent.

Don Libby

I'm #1 on the list at Foto Care thanks to Anthony Festa. Looking forward to using this combination in Jackson Hole later.

Mark C

I'm in for this lens and TC too. The only drawback with shooting with the GFX is that results I see from other cameras rarely impress anymore.

narikin

Yes, I agree that this will be an excellent lens, of the highest quality.

Some thoughts:

1: No, it is very unlikely to cover the full MF sensor. crop MF only. Every extra mm of coverage demands more from the design complexity and QC. The more you ask it to cover at high quality, the more the trade-offs.

2: The comparison with Canon and Nikon and their 200mm prices is unfair. f2 lenses are a full 2 stops faster (!) and are truly remarkable optics in their own right. It is a *big* difference to get f2 out of a long lens, and the price difference is often many multiples of comparable length slower lenses. Ask Fuji to make an f2, and see what price that comes back at - $15,000+ I would imagine!

3: Phase have to get it together. The path is obvious: make a Full MF mirrorless. Take the high ground with 150mp, and you will be above it all, letting everyone slugs it out at 100mp crop-MF. Get into a turf war with Fuji on crop MF mirrorless, and you will lose, I feel sure.

jduncan

Yes, I agree that this will be an excellent lens, of the highest quality.

Some thoughts:

1: No, it is very unlikely to cover the full MF sensor. crop MF only. Every extra mm of coverage demands more from the design complexity and QC. The more you ask it to cover at high quality, the more the trade-offs.

2: The comparison with Canon and Nikon and their 200mm prices is unfair. f2 lenses are a full 2 stops faster (!) and are truly remarkable optics in their own right. It is a *big* difference to get f2 out of a long lens, and the price difference is often many multiples of comparable length slower lenses. Ask Fuji to make an f2, and see what price that comes back at - $15,000+ I would imagine!

3: Phase have to get it together. The path is obvious: make a Full MF mirrorless. Take the high ground with 150mp, and you will be above it all, letting everyone slugs it out at 100mp crop-MF. Get into a turf war with Fuji on crop MF mirrorless, and you will lose, I feel sure.

Hi,

Per your own admission, "Every extra mm of coverage demands more" So the comparison is fair. Granted, as I stated, the Nikon and Canon offerings are faster, much faster, but they are also far more expensive. In other words, the entry by Fuji is competitive.

There is no such thing as Full Frame MF. It's just marketing speech. For a long time, 6 x 6 was the preferred format (about 56mm square) for many cameras, but 6 x7 was also very popular. On the other hand, I agree that P1 Business model will be better served by a "large sensor" MF, not even a 56 x 41.25mm but close enough to the arbitrary 645 for the marketing department to say "first full frame MF mirrorless" or whatever. Hasselblad was very limited, in financial terms when they developed the X1D (thus I don't believe the lenses will cover larger sensors, but if they do ... ), and Fuji's MF is their FF 35mm replacement. So it could be a differentiator for P1.

Best regards,

I'll most likely buy the 250 as well with the TC as it is what I need for my landscape/cityscape photography. I was hoping it would be at least a stop faster to be usable for people photography though. Seems like a odd choice to put image stabilization in such a slow lens which seems more suited for landscape shooters who don't need it. I wonder if they could have made it even smaller without it.

jduncan

I'll most likely buy the 250 as well with the TC as it is what I need for my landscape/cityscape photography. I was hoping it would be at least a stop faster to be usable for people photography though. Seems like a odd choice to put image stabilization in such a slow lens which seems more suited for landscape shooters who don't need it. I wonder if they could have made it even smaller without it.
Hi,

Why do you need the lens to be faster 2.8 for "for people photography"?

Best regards,

tcdeveau

Hi,

Why do you need the lens to be faster 2.8 for "for people photography"?

Best regards,
I think it's a question of need vs. want. When I was doing wedding/engagement/ppl stuff, the D8xx plus 70-200 @200mm and 2.8 was my favorite go-to. I liked the faster lenses because I felt I got better subject isolation in addition to the compression of the telephoto. Not sure we need fast telephotos for MF but people are always going to want them.

It's nice to see Fuji filling out the GFX lens lineup. IMHO the 250 is a nice addition to the GF lineup and nice entry to the world of native MF telephoto lenses at a decent price point, and I'm looking forward to seeing what ppl on the forum do with it. I'm sure they could've made it faster if they wanted, but a faster-than-f4 250mm GF would probably come of course at the significant expense of size, weight, and cost compared to the current offering.

-Todd

narikin

Hi,

Per your own admission, "Every extra mm of coverage demands more" So the comparison is fair. Granted, as I stated, the Nikon and Canon offerings are faster, much faster, but they are also far more expensive. In other words, the entry by Fuji is competitive.

There is no such thing as Full Frame MF. It's just marketing speech. For a long time, 6 x 6 was the preferred format (about 56mm square) for many cameras, but 6 x7 was also very popular. On the other hand, I agree that P1 Business model will be better served by a "large sensor" MF, not even a 56 x 41.25mm but close enough to the arbitrary 645 for the marketing department to say "first full frame MF mirrorless" or whatever. Hasselblad was very limited, in financial terms when they developed the X1D (thus I don't believe the lenses will cover larger sensors, but if they do ... ), and Fuji's MF is their FF 35mm replacement. So it could be a differentiator for P1.

Best regards,
Yes, but note that Mamiya made two APO 300mm lenses: one at f4.5 one at f2.8. difference was about $8000!
These were for full 645 MF cameras. (excellent lenses btw). Hence the f2.0 Canon and Nikon lenses are really good value, in their own way.

I try not to say "Full frame MF" I say "Full MF", in comparison to Crop MF. That's my personal terminology, as it's best to avoid "Full Frame" outside of 35mm FF digital sensors. All just words though.

Of course MF covered everything from 645 to 6x12, with many mm's difference by each manufacturer in each every format. (Linhof were the best in all this imho, going as close as they could to the right number) So I think we can reasonably accept that current full MF digital sensors are what counts as 645 in the new digital era.