The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Biking and MF photography

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
Anyone carry medium-format equipment on a bicycle? I'm curious about its feasibility and what carry system might work best. I would most likely carry an X1D and extra lens, though fantasize about getting more ambitious.

Last edited:

D&A

Anyone carry medium-format equipment on a bicycle? I'm curious about its feasibility and what carry system might work best. I would most likely carry an X1D and extra lens, though fantasize about getting more ambitious.
I've done it and for quite some distance on occasion but wouldn't be my system of choice when regulary cycling. Other than the obvious room needed for such a system, more importantly is when biking, you need a backpack that doesn't shift around side to side (especially if on a fast road bike) and is rock solid in that regard. Two of the best I've found is 1. f-stop bags, such as the Guru model which is not their largest nor smallest but is about as large as I would go on a road bike but large enough to hold a X1D, a few lenses and other items for a days shooting. I carried a much heavier body and lenses (just for comparison).

Yes this was on paved trails such as the W&OD, Capital Crescent and of course the Mt. Vernon Trail. I probabaly passed you by at some point...maybe while zipping by National Airport :). The Guru would work as well on hardpack trails such as the C&O.

Another backpack line is 2. the long discontinued Clik Elite line of backpacks. Far less versitile, non modular and definitely not as well built as the f-stop bags, the Clik Elites have the distinction of being rigidly tight around the body while cycling and was designed as such for skiing and cycling. Maybe more so than the f-stops. This is especially true when cliping on one of the accesory packs on the front chest. Weight and size limits are probably lower with the Clik Elites depending on which of their many previous models one chooses.

F-stop has changed many of the names and models not all that long ago but still believe they sell the Guru model. Depending how much photo equipment you plan on taking, you might need the medium ICU inside the bag although the X1D and one lens/flash might work with the small ICU, allowing room for some other non photographic items. It goes without saying to have the raincover for any of these backpacks, just in case.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

The slope ICU should be fine but afford you a bit less room that the non slopping ICU. Not a big deal. What's more important is whether its the small or medium sized ICU, depending of course on fit of the X1D and associated lenses you'll be taking. Needless to say (and you probably know this already), is adjustment of all straps for fit may have to be adjusted differently when on the bike vs. off (walking). Hope your goal isn't riding down to the Tidal basin this particular weekend (for obvious reasons). Although I've engaged in that in the past, with the crowds the bike became impractical while also attempting to photograph, unless you plan on remaining in a singular location. Anyhow let us know how it works out. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
Just sticking my toe back into the bicycling world after a 20-year hiatus, Dave, so I'll let you know. I may begin by just slinging a Leica M4 behind my back to see how it goes.
tim

D&A

Nice...nothing like biking this time of year (and in the fall too). Yikes (regarding slinging a M body behind the back). You know as well as I do, completely unexpected accidents/spills can happen as rare as it might be, trail or no trail. If it was me (and I often have taken an M body and lens or two), I would always put it in at least something protective, like the smallest tiny photo or some other backpack (as long as it had some sort of waist belt), simply for it and the lens protection. In any case I would presume the naked camera slung over the back would eventually end up dangling in front of you not long after pedaling, except if you were sitting almost upright on the bike.

Dave (D&A)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I do a fair amount of riding to get to areas near home for photography. Usually one body two lenses filters and batteries.

I think that a monopod is the minimum for stability and it works well when biking.

I tend to use a Thinktank Speed Demon hip pack as it leaves my arms and torso pretty much free to respond on the bike.

I leave my road bike in the garage and take a heavier bike that does well when I am a bit off the trails.

X1D and iPhone

View from this trip ...

Regards,

Bob

sog1927

I do a fair amount of riding to get to areas near home for photography. Usually one body two lenses filters and batteries.

I think that a monopod is the minimum for stability and it works well when biking.

I tend to use a Thinktank Speed Demon hip pack as it leaves my arms and torso pretty much free to respond on the bike.

I leave my road bike in the garage and take a heavier bike that does well when I am a bit off the trails.

X1D and iPhone

View from this trip ...

Regards,

Bob
I haven't gone biking with the X1D yet, but I used to do it all the time with V-series gear. The X1D ought to be a lot easier to carry. Personally, I liked to split things up into two smaller bags and put them in panniers to keep the center of gravity lower (and to keep me cooler).

yaya

I cycled several times in London (around 20 mile round journeys) with a Crumpler type back pack (can't remember the model) that had a DF+ body+back and 1-2 lenses, plus a 15" MBP. It was a heavy kit.

Road bike with drop bars was a bad idea. Too much weight and pressure on lower back but also on shoulders, next and arms, affecting handling and limits movement on the bike.

Mountain bike was a bit more comfortable but the extra weight doesn't let you get out 0f the saddle going uphill, and even with the rear shock locked and seated, a lot of energy is spent on bobbing up and down

A hybrid was the best compromise...plenty low gears and stiff enough to let you just sit and grind. It is still top heavy and is not something I would recommend doing regularly. I would subject a rear rack and a pannier or two, then split the kit into 2 ICUs or smaller padded bag in the panniers.

Unfortunately since my accident 2 years ago I am not able to cycle outdoors anymore.

Hope this helps!

BR

Yair

Ex-road-biker here, wondering why MF would be the best choice in the first place. I'd use a Sony A7r2-3, or even RX1r2, in order to pack a load more commensurate with the undertaking.

I've felt quite uneasy carrying Leica M by bike, and certainly wouldn't pack my GFX for biking. I guess if I had to do it now, I'd use my A7r2 with 28-35-50 MATE. That would be nice and light, and I couldn't smash or drench more than $5K of gear.

But YMMV :),

Kirk

Godfrey

I've been biking a good bit lately.

I find the Peak Design Everyday Sling bags in both 5L and 10L sizes work very well to carry a reasonable load. The way they're designed, once cinched up for riding, they sit on my back without moving about and make carrying a camera easy. The 5L size fits the Leica M (two lenses, although I usually carry with just one) or the Light L16 easily, with tons of space to spare for a rolled up middleweight cycling jersey, sunglasses in case, iPad Pro 9x7 inch, wallet, keys, AirPods, iPhone, and cycling gloves.

The 10L size fits the Leica SL, I would more usually carry it with one or two Leica R lenses—that's about X1D size for both body and lenses—and similarly has enough room for the other junk as well. I know it can also carry my Hasselblad 500CM with A12 back and 80+50 lenses, but that gets too bulky/heavy for my druthers. (The 10L is big enough to fit the Light L16, my 6x6 pinhole camera, Voigtländer Perkeo II 6x6 film camera, AND my little Sirui tripod if I so desired, although I haven't done that yet. :) )

I was a little skeptical of these bags at first but have come to appreciate their design quite a lot. The 5L bag has rapidly become my real every-day carry, even when I'm not carrying any camera. The 10L has a better strap design, but I find I can fit the 10L strap on the 5L so I'm thinking of ordering another 10L strap.

(Similarly, the Light L16 is very nice for biking. Small, light, and handy, with a slim/narrow form factor, it runs a long time on a charge, and has enough storage space for many, many photos. It has 256G storage in it; I have 400 shots taken with mine, and it still has over 160G of free space. You can also charge it with one of those USB backup batteries ... I have a small one which will almost bring it back to a full charge from being at 25% power, which usually takes me a week or two to reach from fully charged. Add a light, small tripod like the Sirui T-025X for best stability and it's a pretty sweet photo making machine.)

G

I just spent a couple days cycling around New Orleans (mountain bike, terrible streets) with an X1D. I keep the camera in a padded pouch, inside an Ortleib backpack. You could also go with Ortleib panniers. I've done may trips in New York City with the same setup, on a road bike. The tripod I have fits in the backpack if I take off the head, but I don't always travel with it.

Godfrey

The Wotancraft bags are darn nice, David: Both the Easy Rider and the Spacejumper look great! Thanks for posting about the Easy Rider! :)

G

"No, I do not have a Bag Fetish!"

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Their quality is top notch and shipping is very fast if they have the product in stock.

I love their internal waterproof pouches ... limits space a bit but should
withstand any deluge you could survive.

Bob

Hausen

Hi Godfrey, they are gorgeous, that perfect mix of old school WWII with modern fabrics. I also have the Commander which is a perfect travel pack. Enough room for my X1d + 30mm and Horseman 612 plus film, filters, jacket etc. I do also have a bag fetish but decided to start buying Wotancraft bags because they are really expensive and make you think twice if you really need it.:p

The Wotancraft bags are darn nice, David: Both the Easy Rider and the Spacejumper look great! Thanks for posting about the Easy Rider! :)

G

"No, I do not have a Bag Fetish!"

Attachments

Frankly

I think the best idea is to try to isolate the cameras from vibration using your body as the intermediate connection to the bicycle. I imagine a motorcycle would be even worse in terms of vibration.

Saddle bags and panniers seem like a bad idea.

Godfrey

I think the best idea is to try to isolate the cameras from vibration using your body as the intermediate connection to the bicycle. I imagine a motorcycle would be even worse in terms of vibration.

Saddle bags and panniers seem like a bad idea.
I carried a Leica M6TTL, and at other times a Nikon FM2, all over the USA and Europe on the back of a motorcycle in a tailbag that attached to the passenger section of the seat. Never had a single problem with that carry system.

On the bicycle, I used to carry either of those two cameras in a padded compartment insert made for a handlebar bag. Again no problems with that, but either of those cameras and two lenses were pretty much at the weight limit for that kind of bicycle carry gear. The modern sling bags and backpacks can handle more weight.

I do worry a little bit about the bulk and the danger of carrying bulky, hard items on my body when I'm riding, so I want the bag to be well padded and not be so locked in place as a backpack. Sling bags move around if you fall such that you would rarely get the items inside jabbed into you.

G

ggibson

I have a Mindshift Rotation 180 Trail for day hikes, which I've noticed a lot of people seem to like as a mountain biking pack. It's a pretty slim profile and you have quick access to the camera compartment without having to unstrap. Cool design and well made.

Godfrey

Their quality is top notch and shipping is very fast if they have the product in stock.

I love their internal waterproof pouches ... limits space a bit but should
withstand any deluge you could survive.
"Internal waterproof pouches" ... ? Are these accessories or built into the bags?

Well, I bit for a Wotancraft Easy Rider (current production is all black, my preference anyway) for the ability to carry the larger, bulkier things and for its versatility/ability to collapse when carrying a light load. It arrived yesterday or the day before; I just opened it this evening and spent an hour or two figuring out how to fit it, how the auxiliary strap works, etc. It's beautifully made and feels good; I guess I'll see tomorrow how well it works.

I'm a little concerned that the auxiliary strap isn't quite long enough, at the longest setting, to get around my arm when I have my motorcycle jacket on. I'll have to test that tomorrow too, but I'm too tired to go any further this evening. I may need to request a slightly longer strap, maybe 2-3 inches longer. I'll probably want the detachable strap pad too, didn't think of that when I ordered it.

G