The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassy CFV50 vs CFV50-C

elrafo

Hello there,

any pros and cons for these 2 digi backs ? one is CMOS and the other CCD but the C looks more versatile and the live view and screen useful.
do you have any preference or advice ? it is to use with Older Cameras (503 and SWC/M)

thanks !

pflower

I've never used the CCD back but had a CFV-50c for a while before selling it to get an X1D.

Focus is tricky. It's essential to get your camera body properly serviced and aligned. Even after doing that I found that focusing by eye was a bit hit and miss - although I improved considerably over time (also it comes with a split focusing screen which helps). So the live view really helped a lot, but it is not absolutely fantastic but perfectly useable and accurate on a tripod and useable hand held - if you have steady hands.

Don't know about the CFV50 but the CFV50c needs an additional extender for the battery in order to fit on the SWC/M - so it could be a bit cumbersome (although others on this forum have managed to modify their cameras in order to fit it).

Image quality is superb. I used it with my 50mm CFE, old 80mm and 120 Makro Planar. All 3 lenses worked very well with it. But the crop factor made the 80mm a bit too long for my everyday use so I ended up using the 50mm much more and that is significantly heavier than the 80mm.

Hello there,

any pros and cons for these 2 digi backs ? one is CMOS and the other CCD but the C looks more versatile and the live view and screen useful.
do you have any preference or advice ? it is to use with Older Cameras (503 and SWC/M)

thanks !

Udo

The CCD version has a bigger sensor area with 37mm x 49mm and should be used with lower ISO settings, i.e. <=ISO200 in order to keep noise in acceptable ranges. It is the same sensor which has been used in the H4D-50 and H5D-50 and is a good choice if it should be used on a tech/view camera as well due to its sensor properties. The dynamic range is limited compared to the CMOS version. No live view on its display but a limited B&W live view via Phocus SW on a computer. Good battery life.

The CMOS version's sensor size is 33mm x 44mm which results in higher crop factor. ISO values up to 6400. Live view is possible and I would rate it barely okay (at least the first generation) especially outside with bright environmental light, definitely not comparable to say a later Nikon DSLR camera. Limited usage on tech/view cameras due to sensor physics (lens color cast).

As already mentioned, focusing and its accuracy is something to get used to. Split screen is very helpful and all related focusing components need to be properly adjusted to achieve the best/sharpest possible results.

Best of luck with your choice.

Regards, Udo

darr

I have a first generation CFV-50c that I purchased new. Prior to the 50c, I used a Phase One P45. The P45 does not have Live View, whereas the 50c has excellent Live View for my needs. My images are sharp because I learned a technique on how to focus with the Live View, and I think all the years I focused on the ground glass of view cameras helped. I use the 50c on an ALPA Max and TC; and Hasselblad 501CM and Flexbody. I do not use the in-camera screens to focus, but the Live View with focus spot. My cameras using the 50c are always tripod mounted or on a copy stand. When I first started shooting with the 50c, I tried focusing my 501 + 150 CFi via the in-camera focusing screen and found if I used a viewfinder magnifier, I could nail the focus, but not without. When mated to the Flexbody, it becomes a compact view camera, and if you are into studio work, it is a sweet setup. I personally would not buy any digital back for the 500/200 series cameras expecting to be able to focus via the focusing screen as accurate as with film. I would be amazed if any of the 500/200 series cameras could be calibrated for accurate focusing with a 50 MB digital back as the plane of sharp focus is a fraction of a sliver. There is a percentage of shooters that struggle with manual focus and this might be attributed to vision accuracy and/or shooting technique. I am 60 years-old and wear bifocals, but I can still manually focus, but I know those that struggle, and digital backs like the 50c come up for sale because they demand a shooting technique that is not suited for everyone. Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Darr

elrafo

Thank you everyone, Considering more the 50c...

Regarding landscape photography or street photos, at higher Iso I think the 50c would be a great back without tripod and more "instant" photos. this back looks more versatile even with a SWC/M.

cfv50 with lower iso and lack of focusing help is more like a cons, always requires a tripod, which is not an option I consider when going on long walks.

For focusing: checking the markings and closing the lens to f8-f11 isn't safe with a wide biogon ?

Also is color cast a big issue after Color correction in Phocus or Lighroom on a SWC/M or 80mm planar ?

thanks!

Photon42

I did not notice a color cast with the CFV-50c and 40/50/80/100 and 150 lenses (tried some :)). Between the two backs, I would always chose the CMOS version. The low light capability is great and in sub-optimal light this is want you want with typically f/4 lenses. If you only would shoot in a studio at f/11, that is of course not relevant.

As for lenses: it seems for me the 40/80 combination as well as the 50/100 both do work well in a two lens set-up. Just sold the 40 and may even sell the 80 now, as I am gravitating to 50/100.

darr

Thank you everyone, Considering more the 50c...

For focusing: checking the markings and closing the lens to f8-f11 isn't safe with a wide biogon ?
You are talking about hyperfocal distance focusing, and you will need to run tests to find the sweet spot for each lens.

For example, when a DSLR is used for hyperfocal distance the plane of focus for the sensor is fixed inside the body, not so with digital backs mounted on various camera bodies and lenses. This is the reason ALPA (and maybe others) included shimming gaskets with their digital back adapter plates. If you use Live View, you can alleviate focusing problems because you focus on the sensor through the lens. When I first got my ALPA and Schneider lenses, I was surprised how far off the sweet spots for hyperfocal focusing were when compared to the lens markings, thus the reason ALPA made HPF High Precision Focusing Rings for Schneider and Rodenstock lenses. Since the advent of medium format CMOS came Live View and all of these problems can be alleviated if you learn to focus with Live View, but that means the camera must be still.

If you are wanting to use one camera with one lens, then buy the CCD back. You will need to runs tests to find your sweet spot at f/11 and use that for shooting.

I personally would not use a 500/200 series Hasselblad with a digital back for street shooting, that is what a small mirrorless camera is good for.

JohnBrew

I have a first generation CFV-50c that I purchased new. Prior to the 50c, I used a Phase One P45. The P45 does not have Live View, whereas the 50c has excellent Live View for my needs. My images are sharp because I learned a technique on how to focus with the Live View, and I think all the years I focused on the ground glass of view cameras helped. I use the 50c on an ALPA Max and TC; and Hasselblad 501CM and Flexbody. I do not use the in-camera screens to focus, but the Live View with focus spot. My cameras using the 50c are always tripod mounted or on a copy stand. When I first started shooting with the 50c, I tried focusing my 501 + 150 CFi via the in-camera focusing screen and found if I used a viewfinder magnifier, I could nail the focus, but not without. When mated to the Flexbody, it becomes a compact view camera, and if you are into studio work, it is a sweet setup. I personally would not buy any digital back for the 500/200 series cameras expecting to be able to focus via the focusing screen as accurate as with film. I would be amazed if any of the 500/200 series cameras could be calibrated for accurate focusing with a 50 MB digital back as the plane of sharp focus is a fraction of a sliver. There is a percentage of shooters that struggle with manual focus and this might be attributed to vision accuracy and/or shooting technique. I am 60 years-old and wear bifocals, but I can still manually focus, but I know those that struggle, and digital backs like the 50c come up for sale because they demand a shooting technique that is not suited for everyone. Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Darr
Hear, hear! I had the opportunity to shoot with Darr over the Xmas holidays and can really resonate with what she says. Darr was shooting her CFV-50c with her ALPA TC and I was shooting mine with the RM3di. I had left my focusing card at home for one particular lens so we tried my back on her camera and lo and behold I learned some things. The ALPA with its shorter focusing helical allows one to shift back and forth between OOF and in focus. The Arca-Swiss has a much finer focusing helical, but you have to turn it so much to change focus that the precision just gets lost. No offense To the AS people, but if I had gone into tech cams with an ALPA, I'd still be with it!
Anyway, Darr taught me quite a lot and in the end I was able to salvage some shots with her help. The CFV back is a lovely machine, but it needs to be used (imo) with an ALPA system or through the lens focusing system. Just my opinion.
And if I haven't been clear enough before - thank you, Darr, for a wonderful morning.
JB

darr

Hear, hear! I had the opportunity to shoot with Darr over the Xmas holidays and can really resonate with what she says. Darr was shooting her CFV-50c with her ALPA TC and I was shooting mine with the RM3di. I had left my focusing card at home for one particular lens so we tried my back on her camera and lo and behold I learned some things. The ALPA with its shorter focusing helical allows one to shift back and forth between OOF and in focus. The Arca-Swiss has a much finer focusing helical, but you have to turn it so much to change focus that the precision just gets lost. No offense To the AS people, but if I had gone into tech cams with an ALPA, I'd still be with it!
Anyway, Darr taught me quite a lot and in the end I was able to salvage some shots with her help. The CFV back is a lovely machine, but it needs to be used (imo) with an ALPA system or through the lens focusing system. Just my opinion.
And if I haven't been clear enough before - thank you, Darr, for a wonderful morning.
JB
Howdy John! :D
I enjoyed hanging out and shooting with you. What a treat it was. Do let me know if you come back to SGI again and want to shoot!!
Maybe you'll be shooting an XD1? Hope all is well with you and yours!

Darr

elrafo

Thanks everyone for these strong advices and recommendations ;) I have seen a couple of people shooting with SWC and 503cx +CFV50c and the results looks amazing, can’t wait to try it. I will pay particular attention to these points of Focus.
I used a CFV16 and never had strong issues with DOF, unless with portrait in studio, somehow impossible to get the right focus unless with tethering. But I LOVED my CFV16...
The CFV 16 screen can’t be used for any focus check, as you know...

elrafo

Just got My CFV50-c, with only 1k act, like new. bought it from Camwest in san Fran, shipped to Canada in 3 days via Fedex.
I paid $9,000 USD ; which is a bit expensive, but it was the only one available and it looks new.

Here are my very First impressions:

Pros:

- Wow, so well designed, fits with 500c/m like a charm, almost like it was part of the original 43 years old body ;)

- high Iso pretty acceptable, can't wait to test it outside at dusk !

- No cable needed !!

- Live View, 3' LCD. Modern UI. now I need to test it in my studio for portrait.

Cons:

- I like to shoot Square, I find it classy But the Crop factor is really big, I was even suprised compared to my old broken CFV16 where the 1,5 factor was much more acceptable on a 80 mm planar. I need to try it on a SWC.

- the original battery extender for SWC I had with the CFV16 is not compatible ! the pins of the 50-c seems larger than the 16, and don't plug in the extender! I will have to modify again the tripod mount :-(
Funny Hasselblad would think of making a perfect visual fit for the Chrome line but not for the functionality of their accessories.

darr

I agree about the square sensor crop being a bummer. We LOVE squares us Hasselblad Junkies!! :cool:
Part of the reason I still shoot film is for the square. They say it is too expensive or complicated to make a square sensor, but they can recode DNA!

Happy for you and your CFV-50c.

Kind regards,
Darr

JohnBrew

Whatever happened to the square sensor camera Hasselblad teased us with last year? As I recall it was a 100 mp sensor squared to 75 mp and had a 501, 503, etc. form. Really looked cool.

Photon42

Whatever happened to the square sensor camera Hasselblad teased us with last year? As I recall it was a 100 mp sensor squared to 75 mp and had a 501, 503, etc. form. Really looked cool.
No one teased me (in this regard) - clearly my fault. Where did you see that?

tcdeveau

No one teased me (in this regard) - clearly my fault. Where did you see that?
https://www.dpreview.com/news/29116...75mp-square-format-v-style-v1d-concept-camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Wo5SPY0eM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYv_I01QSug

It's a pretty neat concept that was teased back in 2016. Modular design, uses the 100mp sensor of the H6D-100c paired with the X-mount and XCD lenses (I think).

Maybe if enough ppl make noise they'll actually make it. Perhaps after the next gen sensors come out, they could repurpose current 100mp sensors for the V1D and sell it. I think it would scratch a lot of ppls itches....gives more than 50mp resolution but not too much with larger pixels than the 33x44mm sensors. Since it uses XCD lenses, they wouldn't have to develop a new lens lineup either.