The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photo Therapy Recommendations

dave.gt

Inspiration always finds me, never the other way around. Is it that way with you?

Lately, life has been a long series of challenges. Today is a rare day with no commitments and it is raining lightly, thankfully. As I pace back and forth looking out the windows, I can not make sense of what I should do. Digital MF is always ready to go. 503cxi is loaded with Velvia 50. Black and white film loaded in the Baby Rolleiflex and the 35mm cameras remain loaded and ready for anything.

But ready for what?

Sure, I have a million things I should do... house maintenance, car maintenance, film to be developed and scanned, portfolio to work on, badly needed exercise to be resumed, books to be read, paperwork to do, clean house, laundry.... the list is endless. But I am exhausted and the lack of sleep continues to take its toll... my creative ability seems to be dormant at the moment. The spark is gone. Or maybe I should say that the lull is a time of regeneration for the next period of creativity. But it is hard sometimes to be still.

I have spent a few hours this morning listening to Music from the Renaissance (Tallis Scholars, Anonymous 4), for relaxation. There is something calming about that... but I need to get the day going.

So, I turn to you.

What are you MFD folks doing today?:D

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Inspiration always finds me, never the other way around.

... badly needed exercise to be resumed ... But I am exhausted and the lack of sleep continues to take its toll... my creative ability seems to be dormant at the moment. The spark is gone. Or maybe I should say that the lull is a time of regeneration for the next period of creativity. But it is hard sometimes to be still.

I have spent a few hours this morning listening to Music from the Renaissance (Tallis Scholars, Anonymous 4), for relaxation. There is something calming about that... but I need to get the day going.

So, I turn to you.

Lack of exercise and exhaustion go hand in hand in my book ... need to work the body in order for it to rest ... although at our age rest comes when it wants ... not usually when we do. However exhaustion and lack of creativity and spark may
also be related.

Perhaps a trip to the grocers ... bring home a small bouquet or flowers and pick one or two and work on posing and photographing them. Beauty for the house and perhaps a print worth hanging for those days when the gloom
wants to pervade.

Tallis is a great listen ... perhaps Arvo Part to stir the creative elements.

Or just kick back on the porch with a book and a cup of coffee if the rain is not blowing sideways.

Glorious morning here after some storms but still a bit chilly ... 26 F with the windchill. Afternoon looks to be a bit better.

Best regards,

Bob

Geoff

Consider a fork in the road. The issue is to figure out which is the path.

One path has a "need for a kick in the rear", to get out and explore. Something will emerge.

Then there is "its good to just set", letting the thoughts recenter and the energies recharge quietly.

Like you, I've found myself doing more setting than going. Don't know if its age, general feelings about the world, or just lazy. I'm trying the notion that its ok to sit back a bit and let the back of head do its work quietly. But if this goes on too long, then... its time to get going. As the basketball folks say, "keep moving, move left, move right, just move."

dave.gt

Lack of exercise and exhaustion go hand in hand in my book ... need to work the body in order for it to rest ... although at our age rest comes when it wants ... not usually when we do. However exhaustion and lack of creativity and spark may
also be related.

Perhaps a trip to the grocers ... bring home a small bouquet or flowers and pick one or two and work on posing and photographing them. Beauty for the house and perhaps a print worth hanging for those days when the gloom
wants to pervade.

Tallis is a great listen ... perhaps Arvo Part to stir the creative elements.

Or just kick back on the porch with a book and a cup of coffee if the rain is not blowing sideways.

Glorious morning here after some storms but still a bit chilly ... 26 F with the windchill. Afternoon looks to be a bit better.

Best regards,

Bob
All good points and ideas!

It is times like these I wish I had taken up music to fill the voids between visual arts and just plain old reality of daily responsibilities. Expression from inside needs to find a way to be free.

If I had a violin, I could photograph the beauty of it in so many ways. But deep inside I wish I could play it afterwards. Bob, you are so right, things are out of balance. Finding my way shall be the activity of the day! I like exploring.:):):)

dave.gt

Consider a fork in the road. The issue is to figure out which is the path.

One path has a "need for a kick in the rear", to get out and explore. Something will emerge.

Then there is "its good to just set", letting the thoughts recenter and the energies recharge quietly.

Like you, I've found myself doing more setting than going. Don't know if its age, general feelings about the world, or just lazy. I'm trying the notion that its ok to sit back a bit and let the back of head do its work quietly. But if this goes on too long, then... its time to get going. As the basketball folks say, "keep moving, move left, move right, just move."
Love it... just move! That has been beaten into our minds for the last decade through more than a thousand rehabilitation therapies, and it is so true.

I guess that is why I pace the floors all the time. :bugeyes:

Just move, indeed!:)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Inspiration always finds me, never the other way around. Is it that way with you?

Lately, life has been a long series of challenges. Today is a rare day with no commitments and it is raining lightly, thankfully. As I pace back and forth looking out the windows, I can not make sense of what I should do. Digital MF is always ready to go. 503cxi is loaded with Velvia 50. Black and white film loaded in the Baby Rolleiflex and the 35mm cameras remain loaded and ready for anything.

But ready for what?

Sure, I have a million things I should do... house maintenance, car maintenance, film to be developed and scanned, portfolio to work on, badly needed exercise to be resumed, books to be read, paperwork to do, clean house, laundry.... the list is endless. But I am exhausted and the lack of sleep continues to take its toll... my creative ability seems to be dormant at the moment. The spark is gone. Or maybe I should say that the lull is a time of regeneration for the next period of creativity. But it is hard sometimes to be still.

So, I turn to you.

Dave

You are not unusual in that regard . I am always most productive when I have a goal or something to look forward to . Next week I will go to NYC for a week of street shooting ...so I have a lot to look forward to .

Go to Piedmont Park today (assume you are near Atlanta) and take a long photo walk even in the rain ..its the Dogwood Festival and the trees are ready . Find a good place to have a great coffee . Then come home and take a nap . Its a good strategy to contemplate “whats next” .

Roger

dave.gt

Dave

You are not unusual in that regard . I am always most productive when I have a goal or something to look forward to . Next week I will go to NYC for a week of street shooting ...so I have a lot to look forward to .

Go to Piedmont Park today (assume you are near Atlanta) and take a long photo walk even in the rain ..its the Dogwood Festival and the trees are ready . Find a good place to have a great coffee . Then come home and take a nap . Its a good strategy to contemplate “whats next” .

Roger
Thank you, Roger...great idea!

Maybe I will drop by tomorrow after rehab at Emory. Today, my bride is a little too weary and I am toast to make that the 100 mile commute. Piedmont Park is on my Spring list for skyline exposures, thanks for reminding me. Now to get an ND filter!:thumbup:

dave.gt

Bob!

Spiegel Im Spiegel!!! Absolutely wonderful... I have much to learn from you.

The cello speaks. The artist (Arvo Part) speaks powerfully ... eternally... through such beautiful music.:)

I am all too aware that learning music at my age is folly, but I would love to go there. The cello seems to draw me for some reason. I have long been thinking of a gallery with a cello player to showcase the power of Art in Healing. We have the go ahead to work with some folks on the West Coast to do something along that line of thought but it will take awhile for it to become reality, and, of course, the right people and opportunity.

Thanks so much for your suggestion.