The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

8 x 10 large-format digital, cheap at $100k

bab

I want one when it’s the right time to buy the ver 3 and a computer that will handle the files. It also must do auto bracketing and have a live raw histogram!

narikin

I can imagine the interpolation errors of de-mosaicing such humongous pixels would result in very poor detail. Hence it's a 'Achromatic' back. They had no choice!

Glad to see someone's made a start. Can only get better from here on.

Abstraction

I can imagine the interpolation errors of de-mosaicing such humongous pixels would result in very poor detail. Hence it's a 'Achromatic' back. They had no choice!

Glad to see someone's made a start. Can only get better from here on.
It's a work in progress, hardly more than a prototype. I am sure that future iterations will be leaps and bounds better.

Frankly

Introducing the “Petroniogon” lens optimized for 8x10 digital, a bargain at only $49,999.98.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

The files are small, it is a 12 MP monochrome back with very large pixels.

Best regards
Erik

I want one when it’s the right time to buy the ver 3 and a computer that will handle the files. It also must do auto bracketing and have a live raw histogram!

RobbieAB

It's about 330ppi on the sensor, so printing should involve very little enlargement.

But it's $100k which will limit it to a very select market I expect.

If it was $1k, I might be tempted, as a toy, but I can't justify twice the price of an XF+IQ3100 Trichromatic on a toy. For almost every purpose, other cameras at a fraction of the price are going to beat it. Except for being big. And Heavy.

Frankly

Now if they can just get the size down and add auto-focus so it can be handheld it'll really be something!

Right I was expecting it to be another Epson scanner bolted onto the back of a box camera with sliding focus, running some nightmare contortionist software to produce a banded image, typical Peta Pixel idiocy.

I wonder what the original purpose of the sensor was for?

Whoever is behind it probably got frustrated with his Petzval lenses and uneven wet plate pours. Let's hope those poor Model Mayhem girls were well paid ;-p

Looks like the Huli CEO on that Silicon Valley HBO show....

Tracey Storer is mentioned as building the custom camera stand, same actor as the Polaroid 20x24 adventure.

Hard to believe people are nostalgic for color wheel digital if they had suffered through using them during the first go round. But I never "loved" Polaroid until it became a rare commodity either.

At least the sensor pixels are larger than the dust!

Last edited:

DB5

It's early days and I think its amazing that someone is pushing such a use for digital. It really needs to be commended!

In my opinion you can't beat the look of Large Format and I would really like a digital back for it. Even 12MP could be really interesting. But for me, it would have to be colour and a lot more mobile.

jduncan

It's a work in progress, hardly more than a prototype. I am sure that future iterations will be leaps and bounds better.
Hi,
I am not sure they will even exists.
It depends on capital flow.
At 12mp it will be hard to secure capital. Even so it has people talking (most about how ridiculus it is, in particular compared to a scanning back).
On the other hand, the environment portraits look pretty unique.

The video shows that the camera is cunbersome, and worse, that the mentality is primitive : "let's show that even a woman can do it, and let show she is pretty and child like" [1]. Not nice, not contemporary. Some people insist on "bury your head in the sand", other people evolve.

Let see how it goes. The second iteration needs to be far better.

Best regards,

----
[1] I am not criticizing her, she is fun and beatiful and that is not a defect, it's the context.

Last edited:
It did seem like a slightly odd choice of having her, who clearly does not know the product, demonstrate it. She did say she is a photography student though. It certainly does not feel like a professional video of a product from a company I'd trust with $100k.

Hi,
I am not sure they will even exists.
It depends on capital flow.
At 12mp it will be hard to secure capital. Even so it has people talking (most about how ridiculus it is, in particular compared to a scanning back).
On the other hand, the environment portraits look pretty unique.

The video shows that the camera is cunbersome, and worse, that the mentality is primitive : "let's show that even a woman can do it, and let show she is pretty and child like" [1]. Not nice, not contemporary. Some people insist on "bury your head in the sand", other people evolve.

Let see how it goes. The second iteration needs to be far better.

Best regards,

----
[1] I am not criticizing her, she is fun and beatiful and that is not a defect, it's the context.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I remember a while back that Mitchell Feinberg did the same thing and justified it on the amount of 8x10 / polaroids film he was shooting. I’m sure that there are plenty of elite portrait guys who could make the use of this specialized camera economically worthwhile.

TBH the resolution side of things is pretty irrelevant for real art not printed on a billboard.

btw: Mitchell Feinberg?s 8×10 Digital Capture Back | A Photo Editor