The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New P1 Industrial System - New Sony Sensor

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Oh please. Most of these are only trivial firsts, and by a small margin of time.
If you measure by actual shipping time (rather than announcement time) many of these were 9-18 months ahead of the competition. In the case of 80mp it was 5+ years (from when they launched the IQ180 to when Hasselblad finally shipped their 100mp.

I guess in the grand scheme of things even a few decades is a small margin of time. But in terms of product cycles they are often quite significantly ahead of the competition.

sog1927

Hi,

1. Lead shutter a little bit better than the H6D 1/2500 vs 1/2000
  2. Storage a little bit better than the H6D XQD instead of CFAST
  3. Connectivity as good as the H6D USB-C
I'm not sure generalizing from the industrial line to the general-purpose line is entirely reasonable. Shutter speeds on the A6D go up to 1/4000 (https://www.hasselblad.com/a6d/), but that doesn't seem to have trickled down the H-series. At least not yet.

Phase V

Someone in another forum wrote that Sony has announced to lower production on
these new sensors and raise prices accordingly??

DB5

If you measure by actual shipping time (rather than announcement time) many of these were 9-18 months ahead of the competition. In the case of 80mp it was 5+ years (from when they launched the IQ180 to when Hasselblad finally shipped their 100mp.

I guess in the grand scheme of things even a few decades is a small margin of time. But in terms of product cycles they are often quite significantly ahead of the competition.
Given that the X1D and GFX have been shipping for a year now, that makes Phase One significantly behind the competition?

Shashin

Someone in another forum wrote that Sony has announced to lower production on
these new sensors and raise prices accordingly??
Then post a link to the announcement. I think that is just someone making stuff up.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Given that the X1D and GFX have been shipping for a year now, that makes Phase One significantly behind the competition?
Re a mirrorless larger-than-35mm camera, one of three things must be true:
A) Phase One has decided not to participate in that market segment
B) Phase One has decided to participate in that market segment, but not yet (e.g. waiting for a type of technology to arrive or mature)
C) Phase One has decided to participate in that market segment now, but have failed to execute (e.g. couldn't figure out how to do it or ran into R+D or production issues)

Based on Phase One's strong track record on product releases and technological leads, I personally do not find (C) a likely explanation. But I'm biased, and could be wrong!

Regardless, Hasselblad deserves props for being first to ship a camera in that segment.

Shashin

Re a mirrorless larger-than-35mm camera, one of three things must be true:
A) Phase One has decided not to participate in that market segment
B) Phase One has decided to participate in that market segment, but not yet (e.g. waiting for a type of technology to arrive or mature)
C) Phase One has decided to participate in that market segment now, but have failed to execute (e.g. couldn't figure out how to do it or ran into R+D or production issues)

Based on Phase One's strong track record on product releases and technological leads, I personally do not find (C) a likely explanation. But I'm biased, and could be wrong!

Regardless, Hasselblad deserves props for being first to ship a camera in that segment.
Given the Phase One history with the DF camera platform, C is very possible.