The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Struggling to decide between SK72 and 70HR

Boinger

I have recently acquired a cambo actus db. And I want to purchase a lens in the 70mm range. Shooting on H6D 100C

I can't decide between the sk72 or the 70hr. Any comments would be appreciated. I tried to go search threads and I have read quite a few of them but none of them had any images as they were quite old.

The current lenses I have are:

40HR
90 digitar
90 hr-w (on order to compare)
SK120 Asph

Also Should I get a Rodenstock 55mm? I can pick one up at a reasonable price. Worthwhile lens on a 100mp digi back?

jng

It must be a busy news night or perhaps people are out shooting pics or spending time with their families... :p

Seriously, though, I found myself in a similar quandary last year, trying to decide between these two lenses for my Cambo WRS 1250. I already owned the Rodie 40HR and was looking for a longer lens. No doubt you have come across the threads here and on Lula comparing the two, albeit without much documentation in the way of images:

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...ks/30415-schneider-72-vs-rodenstock-70-a.html
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=44404.0;nowap

For me the decision was ultimately driven by circumstance - at the time the SK72 was proving to be scarce on the used market, and then a very nice used Rodie 70HR came up for sale on GetDPI. The seller turned out to be a professional who was well-regarded by someone I know and trust, so I went ahead and purchased the lens. Although I don't have any first-hand basis for comparison, I can say without hesitation that I am very happy with the 70HR. In fact I just made a large print of an image shot with the 70, as a gift for a good friend's 50th birthday. The lens renders beautifully on my IQ160 (and also on an IQ3100 Trichromatic that I demo'd recently), shifts cleanly, and is a nice complement to my 40HR. I suppose the one downside is its size relative to the SK72 but as with other things in life, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Hope this helps!

John

Boinger

It must be a busy news night or perhaps people are out shooting pics or spending time with their families... :p

Seriously, though, I found myself in a similar quandary last year, trying to decide between these two lenses for my Cambo WRS 1250. I already owned the Rodie 40HR and was looking for a longer lens. No doubt you have come across the threads here and on Lula comparing the two, albeit without much documentation in the way of images:

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...ks/30415-schneider-72-vs-rodenstock-70-a.html
Schneider 72 or Rodenstock 70 HR

For me the decision was ultimately driven by circumstance - at the time the SK72 was proving to be scarce on the used market, and then a very nice used Rodie 70HR came up for sale on GetDPI. The seller turned out to be a professional who was well-regarded by someone I know and trust, so I went ahead and purchased the lens. Although I don't have any first-hand basis for comparison, I can say without hesitation that I am very happy with the 70HR. In fact I just made a large print of an image shot with the 70, as a gift for a good friend's 50th birthday. The lens renders beautifully on my IQ160 (and also on an IQ3100 Trichromatic that I demo'd recently), shifts cleanly, and is a nice complement to my 40HR. I suppose the one downside is its size relative to the SK72 but as with other things in life, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Hope this helps!

John

I am also in a similar circumstance. I can get a sk72 but I have also found a 70HR cheaper than the sk72. There seems to be no clear consensus on either lens. I figure I can get more shift with the 70HR and I guess they will be similarly sharp ?

The sk72 is quite light so that would be nice for hiking. If I get the 70HR I can probably get the Rodie 55 too. (although I am probably just being greedy at that point)

Edit: yes I have been scouring the internet to make a choice lol I have seen those threads.

jng

I am also in a similar circumstance. I can get a sk72 but I have also found a 70HR cheaper than the sk72. There seems to be no clear consensus on either lens. I figure I can get more shift with the 70HR and I guess they will be similarly sharp ?

The sk72 is quite light so that would be nice for hiking. If I get the 70HR I can probably get the Rodie 55 too. (although I am probably just being greedy at that point)

Edit: yes I have been scouring the internet to make a choice lol I have seen those threads.
Right. Those old threads were very informative but didn't provide much help in actually deciding between the two, which basically told me that I couldn't go wrong with either, provided I could find one in good shape. So I went for what turned out to be an excellent copy of the 70HR when it came around, and didn't look back. YMMV, of course.

John

dchew

I agree both of these lenses are great; cannot go wrong with either. Note the sk72 is really a 75mm.

I had the 70hr for a while. If I wanted that focal length again I would try the sk72, but more or size and curiosity than any difference in quality. As you say above, the 70hr probably shifts better, but that might be splitting hairs.

I like John's approach: jump on the best deal available.

Dave

vjbelle

I had the 70HR for a very brief period of time and returned it as it was skewed (almost always the copal). I now own the SK72 which was one of the last new ones from Linhof. It also was skewed and had to be returned to Schneider for repair. It is now in perfect alignment and one of the sharpest lenses I own. The light weight is an extreme plus and the lens remains very sharp when shifted out to the limits that I use. I mention the skewing as this can happen to any of the LF lenses. You should factor in the possibility of having to replace the copal when looking at used prices.

Victor

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I have the 70HR to go along with my 40HR and find they are a nice combination. The 70 lens cast is pretty minor, I can even get away without an LCC on my IQ3100 when not shifting.

Boinger

Decided on the 70HR, it was a bit cheaper than the SK72 so since I couldn't determine much difference between them I opted for the slightly larger IC and it was about $400 cheaper.

darr

I have been shooting with an ALPA SK 72 for about 7 years. I mention the ALPA brand because 'supposedly' ALPA handpicks their lenses and I have not had any skewing problems; I never find the need to use a LCC with the SK 72, and it probably gets used the most after my SK 120 macro (product shooter). I bought into the SK line because of their size and weight. I am a petite female and carrying gear has been part of my vocation for 30+ years, so I want to go small and light when possible. I have shot with many Schneider and Rodenstock lenses, digitally and with film, and also on darkroom enlargers and really have no preference over the brands, just weight and size is more than important today as my 60 year birthday is weeks away. If I am building a system, I look for my holy trinity and for me when I was building my last system it became the SK 47, 72, and 120. Later I picked up a SK 35 xl for a very good price. Because I shoot film for art projects, I also bought the very wide ALPA Schneider APO-Helvetar 28mm XL that I use on a TC with a Hasselblad C back, and it became my modern SWC. All of this is really personal need, so define whether it is size, weight, price, etc., and then you'll find your direction.

Sorry this got posted after you bought!

danlindberg

I see you have purchased, but thought it never hurts to chip in!

I am a long time user of the Helvetar 75 = SK72 and it is one of my favourite lenses of all time, all things considered. Small, light and seriously sharp on the Credo 60. Up to 12mm shift there is no degradation to speak of, but thereafter gradually you do get softer corners. This is where the HR70 becomes the better lens with slightly larger image circle and retrofocus design. I would guess the HR can shift another 3-4mm compared to the Schneider. Of course at the cost of a larger and heavier lens, slightly more distortion and slightly less flare control.

All in all, both lenses excellent and even though I speak highly about my Helvetar 75, I could easily live happily with the HR70 as well. Enjoy it :thumbs:

Boinger

Thanks for the input regardless I appreciate it. That seems what it came down to in terms of preference some people wanted lighter vs IC. I am a big guy so 200 grams isn't going to make much of a difference for me. And also more than anything just went for the cheaper option.

tcdeveau

Thanks for the input regardless I appreciate it. That seems what it came down to in terms of preference some people wanted lighter vs IC. I am a big guy so 200 grams isn't going to make much of a difference for me. And also more than anything just went for the cheaper option.
Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it. I’m still building up my “project” tech cam and the 70HR I picked up after Christmas has just been sitting on the shelf :(

Boinger

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it. I’m still building up my “project” tech cam and the 70HR I picked up after Christmas has just been sitting on the shelf :(
Heh it's kinda been the same boat for me. I have had the HR40 for almost 2 years but no portable ish tech cam body I just recently picked up a used actus db. So have started to pursue this more significantly.

Although I am still learning so don't expect too much from me. Some of the images posted in the technical camera images thread are quite outstanding. Very intimidating. I don't think any of my work is quite up to snuff.

I did a comparison a while ago and decided to go for the SK75 (Alpa version of SK72). It's extremely light-weighted (yes, for hiking even 200g counts and this is what people's been taking to the summit of mount everest).

That being said, the 70HR can also be a very decent choice (if you prefer to retain the same rendition style as other Rodenstock HR lenses you have).