The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help: H6D-100c Battery died while updating firmware

masud

Hi,
I was updating the firmware of the H6D-100c to 1.21 with a fully charged battery. About three quarters of the way through the update process, the battery died (probably a bad battery!); the top display said replace battery; there was no more power and camera was not responsive. I replaced the battery and now the camera is not functioning properly. Tried to update the firmware again, but to no avail.

Is there any way to fix this myself or do I need to send this back to Hasselblad for service?

Thanks,
Masud

bab

Hi,
I was updating the firmware of the H6D-100c to 1.21 with a fully charged battery. About three quarters of the way through the update process, the battery died (probably a bad battery!); the top display said replace battery; there was no more power and camera was not responsive. I replaced the battery and now the camera is not functioning properly. Tried to update the firmware again, but to no avail.

Is there any way to fix this myself or do I need to send this back to Hasselblad for service?

Thanks,
Masud
With a different fully charged battery or did you re charge the old one?
Any case there is a soulution to reset you defunct battery search the web for the solution it’s an easy fix I had to do it once but I forgot how.
Now Hasselblad warns you not to interrupt the firmware update so it must be stuck in between codex and you will most likely need a special sequence of button pushing to restore and restart?
Sorry

Boinger

Hi,

Thanks,
Masud
What options do you have when the camera turns on ? Is your back turning on ?

masud

With a different fully charged battery.

With a different fully charged battery or did you re charge the old one?
Any case there is a soulution to reset you defunct battery search the web for the solution it’s an easy fix I had to do it once but I forgot how.
Now Hasselblad warns you not to interrupt the firmware update so it must be stuck in between codex and you will most likely need a special sequence of button pushing to restore and restart?
Sorry

masud

Yes, the back turns on. It doesn’t see the cfast or sd card until I take them out and reinsert while the camera is powered on. The aperture/shutter speed on the back don’t show - replaced by orange circle. Menu button on back works. Shutter release does not take photo but shows ‘busy’ and a red triangle in the viewfinder.

What options do you have when the camera turns on ? Is your back turning on ?

Boinger

Yes, the back turns on. It doesn’t see the cfast or sd card until I take them out and reinsert while the camera is powered on. The aperture/shutter speed on the back don’t show - replaced by orange circle. Menu button on back works. Shutter release does not take photo but shows ‘busy’ and a red triangle in the viewfinder.
Does it let you get to the firmware menu? Do you have an external battery pack? Like what you would use with a tech camera?

masud

Yes, I can get to the firmware menu and I have an external battery pack (for use with the back on a Cambo Actus).

Does it let you get to the firmware menu? Do you have an external battery pack? Like what you would use with a tech camera?

Boinger

Yes, I can get to the firmware menu and I have an external battery pack (for use with the back on a Cambo Actus).
When you get to the firmware menu can you apply an update what does it say (recopy a fresh firmware file onto the sd not the same one you used.) Also try version 1.20 first.

masud

It says: 1001 Update failed, remove battery and retry.

Tried twice.

When you get to the firmware menu can you apply an update what does it say (recopy a fresh firmware file onto the sd not the same one you used.) Also try version 1.20 first.

cerett

Danke Schön. Diese Anweisungen lösten das Problem.

I got similar instructions from Boinger via PM earlier—the firmware is now fixed and the camera is working again.

Really appreciate the help from everyone on this forum. Thank you!
Masud
Very happy it all worked out! It would be terrific if you would post the solution here (in English) in case this happens to someone else. Thank you.

Roger65

Very happy it all worked out! It would be terrific if you would post the solution here (in English) in case this happens to someone else. Thank you.
Here’s the best I could do. I left out the stuff about not being a miserable schwein and not following directions.

Step 1:
The solution requires two stages, since you first have to get from error 1000 to 1001, and then revive the X1D in the last step. But first things first. So if the error 1000 comes with a firmware update, first of all: keep calm. In the first step you tap five times (5x) on the triangle symbol with an exclamation mark and additional options appear. The option you need is "FW Update Retry". The camera now tries to install the firmware again. If everything goes according to plan, this attempt should end in error 1001. This would also complete the first step. If you are already confronted with an error 1001, you can of course start directly with step 2. In this case you should be able to skip step 1 and still be successful.

Step 2:
Remove the battery and plug it in after a short wait (about 10-20 seconds). When switched off, press the bottom of the 5 buttons next to the touch screen of the X1D (the button with three horizontal lines), keep it pressed and switch on the X1D. Once the X1D has started and the "normal" menu appears on the display, you can release the button. In this step, the X1D was completely reset and the current firmware should be the last version. In my case that was the FW 1.19.0. Thus the X1D is again usable and one can start the firmware update (with me it was the version 1.20.0) again and this time everything should work and the X1D should display the message that the firmware update was successful and the battery should be removed.
Note: One should always follow the instructions of Hasselblad for the firmware update. For example, not to plug in the USB cable during the update, to charge the battery sufficiently beforehand, etc ...
The only downside after reviving the X1D50C is that you have lost all custom settings as the X1D has been completely reset. But that is okay, because you saved sending off the X1D.
And now I'm going to test the new features in firmware 1.20.0 of my X1D50C

masud

Here is what I had to do on the H6D-100c:

0. Make sure the CFast and SD cards are removed from the camera—this is important. Have a fully charged good battery installed. Also for good measure, connect an external battery like the XT20000.

1. If the menu is working, then select Settings and then select About:
IMG_1827.jpg

2. You will see this screen with the firmware listed at the top. Tap on the firmware 5 times (the area highlighted in the green oval):
IMG_1828.jpg

3. You will see this screen that says a additional function available in Service Menu:
IMG_1829.jpg

4. Now go back to the menu and select "Settings" and then select "Service":
IMG_1827 copy 2.jpg

5. Scroll all the way down and you will see this new menu item "Firmware Update Retry". Select it and the camera will re-install the last good firmware that was on it:
IMG_1830.jpg

6. Remove and re-install the battery and the external battery if any.

7. Re-download a fresh copy of the latest firmware to the memory card (the previous download is probably corrupted at this point). And follow the usual instruction for updating firmware.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Masud