The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X2D Thread

DB5

Seems like a reasonable enough time to start an X2D thread.

We are starting to see more reports of the 100MP sensor floating about and the lower price of the X1D continues and stretches across what seems like all sales outlets now.

I have almost made my mind up. The X seems the right platform for me to move into but the X1D is still a little undeveloped for what I need, EVF blackout, sluggish operation etc. and it seems the X2D may answer all my needs: 100MP BSI, 6fps, 4K 30fps, 8K 18fps

I'm almost tempted to just jump into the X1D now but have resisted so far because it's not quite right. Is every one happy with how it has developed firmware/bug wise?

It's going to be very interesting to see what materialises, how things like EVF blackout have been dealt with, what kind of resolution EVF it will have etc. the 8K 18fps capability of the sensor in partcular looks like a very interesting possibility for of stills/motion similar to what RED has (i.e. a little too slow for full motion but good for continuous stills capture) and it will be interesting to see how Hasselblad incorporate motion in their workflow and software. The H6D-100c shoots 4K but it is apparently difficult to grade and edit as the format is literally just the RAW files strung to gather in sequence and no program recognises it.

I'm expecting that this will be a groundbreaking camera and I'm ready to jump in.

Phase V

Well, they failed on the first try, so what makes you think they will get
it right second time?
"Sweden is a failed State" (Donald Trump) and "Handmade in Sweden" sounds
more like a threat these days imho.
Hasselblad is now the hobby of Robert Wang, the owner of DJI and if he will loose
his interest one day we will see the rebirth of the Lunar. :D

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
it right second time?
Hasselblad is now the hobby of Robert Wang, the owner of DJI and if he will loose
Well you sure now how to kill enthusiasm for a new HB !
:thumbdown:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
If HB does nothing but successfully utilize the newest Sony 100MP sensor ..they will have a real winner . From the test reports and customer statements ..the HB lenses for the X1D appear to be exceptional and with decent quality control (no reports of sample variation ).

How a can a state of the market 100MP sensor utilizing a fine set of prime lenses ...:clap: not be attractive to those that shoot landscape ?

Yes the EVF could be better ,the responsiveness improved and as always ..weather sealing is never enough ...but the size and form is best in class .

HB has added two key resources to the team since the introduction of the X1D . First they added MING to lead there strategic planning ...if you follow his blog ..you can easily see he “gets it “ and the former product manager of the Leica Q . Never Have I had a camera (leica Q) that was a more perfect design for a specific purpose .

So I have plenty of optimism as to HB s future products . :clap:

tcdeveau

There were certainly some hiccups at first but the camera has come a loooooooong way since I first played with a pre-release demo. They’ve been making a lot of head way with features but it does seem they are approaching a wall with what else they can add from here due to hardware limitations.

I’m perfectly happy with mine and it does what I need it to. As someone with a bad back, it’s a joy to travel with compared to the H4D-40 and 645z kits I used to travel with. I had the scroll wheel issue at first, but sent it in for repair under warranty and got it back in 7-10 days. Scroll wheels started acting a little erratic again but Hasselblad support gave me a software tip within 24 hours of emailing them that seems to be doing the trick so far.

As I’ve said a million times in other threads, I just need to get out and use it more, and need them to round out their lens lineup. I really need a native lens between 45mm and 90mm. I’ve got the 21mm in order but was hoping the 65mm or 35-75mm would have been released first. Hopefully the 21mm will come in timely.

If I were to jump in now, I’d just get a used one so you don’t eat more depreciation than you have when the new models come out. I’d also recommend trying before you buy, if you can.

I finally put up my first 24x32” face mount acrylic print up on wall today from the X1D and it looks awesome.

Godfrey

People used to the Hamster Wheel Of Progress seem to find it so difficult to just sit back and enjoy using the excellent photographic equipment that exists right now. :D

Whatever the failings of the X1D are, it is a fine camera with excellent lenses that produces beautiful results. I'd love one; I'm just not so comfortable that I want to spend the money since I already have a lot of excellent photographic gear that I use too little.

G

hcubell

People used to the Hamster Wheel Of Progress seem to find it so difficult to just sit back and enjoy using the excellent photographic equipment that exists right now. :D

Whatever the failings of the X1D are, it is a fine camera with excellent lenses that produces beautiful results. I'd love one; I'm just not so comfortable that I want to spend the money since I already have a lot of excellent photographic gear that I use too little.

G
You are right, of course. There is nothing about the X1D at this point that I NEED to change. The most important things about the X1D are just perfect for my needs. The wonderful, natural form factor, the ergonomics, the lenses, the simple, intuitive user interface that isn't cluttered up with 10,000 options for configuring the camera. My X1D has also been amazingly reliable and stable from January, 2017, when I purchased it.
Nonetheless, I will still buy an X2D, because I do think it will make significant improvements over the X1D. A better EVF, a better LCD, snappier operability.

hcubell

it right second time?
Nothing like snarky remarks about the X1D or Hasselblad from someone named "Phase."

jduncan

We are starting to see more reports of the 100MP sensor floating about and the lower price of the X1D continues and stretches across what seems like all sales outlets now.

I have almost made my mind up. The X seems the right platform for me to move into but the X1D is still a little undeveloped for what I need, EVF blackout, sluggish operation etc. and it seems the X2D may answer all my needs: 100MP BSI, 6fps, 4K 30fps, 8K 18fps

I'm almost tempted to just jump into the X1D now but have resisted so far because it's not quite right. Is everyone happy with how it has developed firmware/bug wise?

It's going to be very interesting to see what materialises, how things like EVF blackout have been dealt with, what kind of resolution EVF it will have etc. the 8K 18fps capability of the sensor in particular looks like a very interesting possibility for of stills/motion similar to what RED has (i.e. a little too slow for full motion but good for continuous stills capture) and it will be interesting to see how Hasselblad incorporate motion into their workflow and software. The H6D-100c shoots 4K but it is apparently difficult to grade and edit as the format is literally just the RAW files strung to gather in sequence and no program recognizes it.

I'm expecting that this will be a groundbreaking camera and I'm ready to jump in.
Hi,

I hope that they prioritize low noise image over a faster operation. AF operation is the key for me, including a joystick for selecting the focus point. It won't become the Sony A9, but a much better AF will do a lot to exploit the image quality. I hope it's not far away.
Best regards,

jduncan

well, they failed on the first try, so what makes you think they will get
it right second time?
"sweden is a failed state" (donald trump) and "handmade in sweden" sounds
Hasselblad is now the hobby of robert wang, the owner of dji and if he will loose
his interest one day we will see the rebirth of the lunar. :d

troll-statue-600x450.jpg

:spam:

hcubell

Hi,

I hope that they prioritize low noise image over a faster operation. AF operation is the key for me, including a joystick for selecting the focus point. It won't become the Sony A9, but a much better AF will do a lot to exploit the image quality. I hope it's not far away.
Best regards,
I think we will see a joystick. Not sure about a tilting LCD, because I think Hasselblad very much wants to preserve the streamlined design of the X1D, and stuff hanging off of the body is not in keeping with the design. I don't believe any of Leica cameras have an articulating LCD screen. The one thing that I would like to see incorporated is the EVF from the Leica SL. If you are designing a camera body that will sell for $8-$10k, I can't imagine why you would not include the very best EVF available in the marketplace.

sog1927

I think we will see a joystick. Not sure about a tilting LCD, because I think Hasselblad very much wants to preserve the streamlined design of the X1D, and stuff hanging off of the body is not in keeping with the design. I don't believe any of Leica cameras have an articulating LCD screen. The one thing that I would like to see incorporated is the EVF from the Leica SL. If you are designing a camera body that will sell for $8-$10k, I can't imagine why you would not include the very best EVF available in the marketplace.
I think we'll see a joystick, too - mainly because Ming says he wants one.:D I'm not sure I'd use it much, since I've only used autofocus a couple of times. I suppose it would make it easier to move the 100% live view around. Between focus peaking and the zoom-to-100% live view, it's really easy to nail manual focus (even with 62 year-old eyeballs).

There are certainly times when a tilting LCD would be handy, but not to the point where I would be willing to sacrifice the elegant compactness of the current body.

Blackout? Hardly noticeable to me (as I've said before, I was a V-series shooter for ~30 years - I'm just impressed that I don't have to wind something to get the view back). I expect it will be shorter in the next iteration, if only because the readout time from the sensor will be faster. That should make the electronic shutter more generally useful as well.

I'm sure the EVF will be improved.

Overall, I'm really happy with the X1D. It's half the weight of my Leica S006, with almost 50% more resolution (*almost* enough to equal medium format Velvia on a high-contrast target), terrific dynamic range, fantastic color, and spectacular lenses. It gets easier to use and more flexible with every firmware release (and they update frequently). The body fits in a jacket pocket. What's not to like?

cerett

it right second time?
Hey "Phase," as a new member you should tone it down a bit. Not sure what you want to accomplish with such unfounded negative comments. Are you implying that P1 is soooo much better. Many of us really don't need or appreciate hearing that. It has all been said before. The X1D has produced some beautiful images and happy photographers. Why don't you check out some of the images posted here.

Boinger

I'm almost tempted to just jump into the X1D now but have resisted so far because it's not quite right. Is every one happy with how it has developed firmware/bug wise?

It's going to be very interesting to see what materialises, how things like EVF blackout have been dealt with, what kind of resolution EVF it will have etc. the 8K 18fps capability of the sensor in partcular looks like a very interesting possibility for of stills/motion similar to what RED has (i.e. a little too slow for full motion but good for continuous stills capture) and it will be interesting to see how Hasselblad incorporate motion in their workflow and software. The H6D-100c shoots 4K but it is apparently difficult to grade and edit as the format is literally just the RAW files strung to gather in sequence and no program recognises it.

I bought the X1d when it first came out. I was on the first batch of cameras. It wasn't quite ready at the time. I have tried it now and it's a world of difference compared to launch. It works as it should, honestly better and more reliably than my H6d 100c. Yes it is slow, yes it doesn't have super bursty high fps tracking blah blah blah.

But if you shoot it as any MF should be shot. Thoughtfully and anticipate (imo how most photography should be done) It is superb. The files it gives are just amazing. I am actually selling all my 35mm gear just to finance the x1d. Now I realize there are some things the x1d can't do that the 35mm will do better. But for me the files I get are so much better. I would trade 1 shot that is usable for my x1d for 100 mediocre ones from 35mm.

The evf blackout is annoying but honestly I think it is a bit over blown to me. The way the camera is built if I am shooting with my right eye on the viewfinder I can open my left eye and close the right eye while it's blacked out, and I can still see the scene albeit slightly offset. Since the camera doesn't really cover my whole face. The evf resolution, yes this can be improved a bit but I think we will always say that as LCD will never really match optical viewfinders unless they are close to 10-15 mp themselves, and then you will always have some that will complain about lag etc. Having said that the evf on the x1d is not so awful either it does not ruin the camera in the slightest I can actually focus more accurately in the dark with EVF than I could with optical finders.

This is what I noticed when I shot my a7rii. I would fiddle way to much time in lightroom to get the colors right. The x1d I can literally load in make 5 adjustments and I'm done. I spend a lot less time pp these files. Also with my A7rii I would end up having way too many files and it just gets annoying to cull and edit.

Yes it's easy to say oh you don't have to shoot that much etc. But no matter how much you actually try to think and do that the speed always ends up giving you more than you need.

I have actually had no problem getting action shots and using the x1d for my kids pictures (about the fastest action I need on a camera) For example my son was on a swing and I shot a picture with the x1d and I did manage to capture a couple nice shots.

Yes the a7rii probably would have an easier time tracking focus at high speed. But I always find it amusing that people forget old techniques just because we have technology that can AF super fast doesn't mean you CANT take pictures without AF. All I did was prefocus in the right point, anticipate and shoot. This resulted in more keepers even with my A7rii vs trying to track focus.

And I know people also like to say that you will only see the difference in large prints vs small. And to me I don't know I think I can see a difference even at small sizes. It's not really the sharpness or detail. But more about the tones and colors. I read something a while back that made sense to me as to why I see this. With MF I think you are actually capturing more technical color data per pixel due to sensor size and resolution. Each person will have their own opinion in regards to this I guess you just have to use your eyes and see. To me I did back to back comparisons with my a7rii and I always preferred the MF files (even for casual usage).

I was also in the same boat as you are. Get the x1d now vs wait for x2d. The only thing honestly I really would have liked as better options in the x1d was a little better video mode usage. I realize that it's not waht the camera was made for. But it would have been convenient to just grab a quick video here and there for when I wanted to make some videos of my kids etc. (not talking production and crazy edits just casual video). So with that in mind I still bought the x1d on sale at $6500. The reason I did not buy used is because the used ones are still selling for something like $5500 roughly. And the warranty does not transfer. I have had enough issues with my H6d 100c (I have never had to send it in for service, but enough hiccups to make me anxious on such a large investment) to want a warranty on a hasselblad product. Now I understand that some people have never sent it in for service etc. but I wanted that extra security. And we are getting to the point where if I use this camera for 1-2 years by then the x2d should be widely available (perhaps on sale) then I can upgrade. To me the discount on a brand new unit was very very tempting. I figure the X2d would be the same price point as the x1d when introduced so $10k. In that price I got 2 lenses and a body. (I bought the lenses used) So even if I lose value in the body imo the security and peace of mind is worth it to me.

One thing that would have been nice is a focal plane shutter like the GFX has, but I understand that they wanted it small and we aren't close to global shutters yet. But when I really think about it I am actually trying to simplify my gear and not increase it so in a way it's nice to have only a few lenses that just work really well.

I also tried the GFX for a bit. The lenses were crazy sharp, but I didn't like the system to bulky and honestly didn't feel all that much different from my 645z.

I really appreciate the small form factor the X1d has I feel they have just got the lens design and camera body balance just perfect I cannot emphasize the form factor enough. They didn't go nuts and make gigantic lenses, for example I can slap on the 45mm and just carry it with me like I would my small cameras. (unheard of in MF land), And I am a decently big guy 6'2 200lbs, the camera in hand fits so well. It almost feels like it was machined for my hand.

One last thing I would like to say when I was trying to decide purchasing the camera recently I was reading reviews after reviews and watched all the youtube reviews. I personally felt (having used the x1d at launch) that 90% of the reviews were nuts. Almost every review I read the reviewer is trying to force the camera to be something it's not. It is not fast nor was it designed to be fast (would we like it faster sure, but in my usage I honestly wouldn't notice it), they always compare it against 35mm systems and say oh its only an extra 10% quality, and to my eyes it was never the case from their own files and test I could see a significant difference. (I guess I am nuts or am seeing things because I could see a world of difference) Tones, tones, tones is all I can say they are just absolutely fantastic. Seriously the files are just good enough to use right out of the camera. To me less time PP is worth more than you can imagine.

Technique will always trump technology. This camera does expect you to do the heavy lifting. It has no aides. It is really a question of if you can work with that.

I love shooting with it. It makes me want to go shoot more, and I think because of it's limitations it has actually made me a better photographer. Brought me back to capturing what I want and focusing on my technique to get the best from it.

Hope this helps.

DB5

The only real reason I have not jumped in already is the lenses.

But also because I've wanted to see how the system pans out. Hasselblad have certainly bent over backwards on firmware updates and really earned their stripes with that. They are super committed to it and it really shows. That is a very good sign to me. Reports of super fast turn arounds on warranty repairs have also been impressive and reassuring. BIG tick.

The lenses I will get are the 35-75, 21, 45, 65, 80 and 120. Nearly all of these aren't yet available so it just makes sense to wait until the X2D anyway.

I've had a play with the X1D and instantly loved it. I really think this will be the camera of the future. An improved EVF and blackout/ overall operation speed up will seal the deal for me.

The rumour for the 80 is 1.4 - I would die for 1.4, but it's going to be somewhere between 1.4 and 1.9 given the only thing they've said is it's the fastest they've made, which previously was the 110 f2. This will bring me ear to ear grins.

Then the faster sensor read out is going to make for an even more versatile system once we can adapt lenses and not be limited by rolling shutter. I have so many lenses from other systems and to me it's going to be incredible to bring everything together on the one body with 100MP-freaking-mega-pixels.

I'm not an impulsive buyer and I wait until I know it's going to be right for me and my work. Looking good so far and looking forward to seeing the new camera.

:thumbs::clap:

Phase V

Hey "Phase," as a new member you should tone it down a bit. Not sure what you want to accomplish with such unfounded negative comments. Are you implying that P1 is soooo much better. Many of us really don't need or appreciate hearing that. It has all been said before. The X1D has produced some beautiful images and happy photographers. Why don't you check out some of the images posted here.
Come on, spare me this Phase One Troll BS, what i said IS the bitter truth every
Hasselblad user has to swallow so better get over it.
Let´s face it, 90% of the hard work IS done by Sony in the cmos sensor, all they have to do is putting a 3$ Arduino processor in it and get the firmware done, which mostly is
already written for handys and guess what, they failed miserably. I bet they sent over
some really good guys from China to get this mess done but we will never know.
Hasselblad was resurrected from the death and is now property of a very rich person
in China that´s all. So move on, there is nothing to see here..

Phase V

Come on, spare me this Phase One Troll BS, what i said was the truth so better
get over it.
Let´s face it, 90% of the hard word IS done by Sony in the cmos sensor, all they have
to do is putting a 3$ Arduino in it and get the firmware done which by the way is already written for handys and guess what, they failed miserably.
I´ll bet, they sent over some really good guys from China to get this mess done but we will never know.
Hasselblad was resurrected from the death and is now property of a very rich person
in China, that´s all i said so move on, there is nothing to see here...

Boinger

Come on, spare me this Phase One Troll BS, what i said was the truth so better
get over it.
Let´s face it, 90% of the hard word IS done by Sony in the cmos sensor, all they have
to do is putting a 3$ Arduino in it and get the firmware done which by the way is already written for handys and guess what, they failed miserably.
I´ll bet, they sent over some really good guys from China to get this mess done but we will never know.
in China, that´s all i said so move on, there is nothing to see here...
Lol just Lol

jduncan

Hi,
Agree with the EVF. It's not a simple as it seems, the pipeline needs to be faster enought to produce a color balanced image, very fast (at least 30 times per second), but yes MF should have the best viewfinder possible.

Best regards,