The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X2D Thread

JeRuFo

Oh man, the excitement is killing me and the money is burning a whole in my pocket. I'm just looking at the video features of the 100MP sensor and also looking at the new DJI Ronin S with compatibility with the Hasselblad X which will apparently, soon, will include focus pull too. :cry:

Hurry up and release it Hasselblad! :watch:
I think you're at least a year away from owning one. Even if it gets announced at photokina, it will probably still take a year for production to get up to speed. I think a tease or announcement at photokina is most likely, probably with some preliminary specs, but that's it. With the actual product to follow in the 'summer or 2019'.

tcdeveau

I went to a Hasselblad event last week. The rep was pretty quick to point out he had no information regarding new products, but also mentioned that there are two upcoming photokina dates: fall 2018 (September) and spring 2019 (may). He was expecting/hoping some announcements during at least one of the shows and hopefully the earlier of them.

We’ll see what happens. I’d also expect a fall announcement and spring delivery. I’m not sure Hasselblad would want to risk waiting until the spring to announce knowing very well Fuji may announce the GFX100 in the fall, and vice versa.

DB5

I think it's a critical time for all the Medium Format brands because there are a lot of people making long term decisions now.

Which ever system I invest in Hasselblad, Fuji, or Phase One (if they pony up with a mirrorless) I'm going to stick with that system for at least 10 years but likely longer.

Of course it may take another a year for Hasselblad to bring out the X2D but I don't think it will. These run out reductions have been going on for a while now and that tends to suggest it's close.

Fuji is better placed and has the luxury of a little more time. They have a more mature system already in the GFX and they can rely on revenue from their other cameras, films, instax etc. That gives them upper hand and it's not something Hasselblad has.

I may be wrong but I think the X2D is going to be announced at Photokina and will be available sometime soon there after ie. end of 2018/start of 2019.

MrSmith

Fuji is better placed and has the luxury of a little more time. They have a more mature system already in the GFX and they can rely on revenue from their other cameras, films, instax etc. That gives them upper hand and it's not something Hasselblad has.

DJI revenue of 2.83 Billion/6000 employees worldwide. thats a fair bit of weight behind a company. i would imagine a company of that size could invest in R&D and worry abut making profits later as sales grow.

DB5

DJI revenue of 2.83 Billion/6000 employees worldwide. thats a fair bit of weight behind a company. i would imagine a company of that size could invest in R&D and worry abut making profits later as sales grow.
DJI next to Fuji is small though and bringing in budget from another company is not the same as utilising existing company revenue from other products.

DJI is a young, fast moving company anyway. If anything it will only possibly only speed things up.

jdphoto

These constant upgrade cycles are ridiculous, imo, and reflect more on the photographers compulsion rather than inadequate equipment.

DB5

These constant upgrade cycles are ridiculous, imo, and reflect more on the photographers compulsion rather than inadequate equipment.
Why is that? People jump in when they are ready to. I've not bought a camera in 8 years. I'm ready for a 100MP X2D.

bab

One would think a new sensor would excite the Core base and potential new customers but not without giving some closure to the existing issues that plague the X1D. I’m talking about the “you can fool me once....twice syndromes “, there will need to be a few new carrots up for grabs not just 100mp.
Constant upgrade cycles are the way of the world now all new releases are 2-5 years old once the consumer is able to buy them.
With the release of new equipment from any manufacturer you can name a completely different concept with all new parts and software is as rare as a six legged elephant.

hcubell

One would think a new sensor would excite the Core base and potential new customers but not without giving some closure to the existing issues that plague the X1D. I’m talking about the “you can fool me once....twice syndromes “, there will need to be a few new carrots up for grabs not just 100mp.
Constant upgrade cycles are the way of the world now all new releases are 2-5 years old once the consumer is able to buy them.
With the release of new equipment from any manufacturer you can name a completely different concept with all new parts and software is as rare as a six legged elephant.
I expect the X2D to have quite a few carrots beyond an increase in MP from 50 to 100. Hasselblad is, IMO, well aware of what should be improved/fixed with the X2D. Most significantly, IMO, is that I trust Hasselblad to stay the course with the essential qualities of what makes the X1D special. No way they will bloat it up, either physically or in the UI, to add features to try to compete with FF systems. That's where I expect Fuji to head, which is fine, it's just not what interests me.

MrSmith

DJI next to Fuji is small though and bringing in budget from another company is not the same as utilising existing company revenue from other products.
I’m interested in how you can tell by using a product where the money came from??!

At the end of the day the X1D was almost the finished article certainly more so than an A7r or the warmed up mamiya’s with Phase badges, I’m sure the next version with a few additions (thumb AF joystick for example) will be a natural evolution. The revolution has already happened.

KeithL

I'd love to see an X2D with a comprehensive selection of minimum shutter speeds when using auto ISO together with focal distance/depth of field information and a simple wired cable release.

I'd hate to see an X2D with a comprehensive selection of minimum shutter speeds when using auto ISO together with focal distance/depth of field information and a simple wired cable release because I doubt I could afford it.

hcubell

I'd love to see an X2D with a comprehensive selection of minimum shutter speeds when using auto ISO together with focal distance/depth of field information and a simple wired cable release.

I'd hate to see an X2D with a comprehensive selection of minimum shutter speeds when using auto ISO together with focal distance/depth of field information and a simple wired cable release because I doubt I could afford it.
I am confident you will see #1 and #3. Not so sure about #2. Has anyone implemented this in a mirrorless camera with lenses that focus by wire in a way that is accurate and effective?

KeithL

I am confident you will see #1 and #3. Not so sure about #2. Has anyone implemented this in a mirrorless camera with lenses that focus by wire in a way that is accurate and effective?
I'm not sure, but it would seem enough people have expressed desire for the feature - Hasselblad Digital Forum - to give hope that it's within the realms of possibility.

Whatever, it's such a pity that distance focused wasn't put where it should have been ;)

algrove

Seems like a reasonable enough time to start an X2D thread.

We are starting to see more reports of the 100MP sensor floating about and the lower price of the X1D continues and stretches across what seems like all sales outlets now.

I have almost made my mind up. The X seems the right platform for me to move into but the X1D is still a little undeveloped for what I need, EVF blackout, sluggish operation etc. and it seems the X2D may answer all my needs: 100MP BSI, 6fps, 4K 30fps, 8K 18fps

I'm almost tempted to just jump into the X1D now but have resisted so far because it's not quite right. Is every one happy with how it has developed firmware/bug wise?

It's going to be very interesting to see what materialises, how things like EVF blackout have been dealt with, what kind of resolution EVF it will have etc. the 8K 18fps capability of the sensor in partcular looks like a very interesting possibility for of stills/motion similar to what RED has (i.e. a little too slow for full motion but good for continuous stills capture) and it will be interesting to see how Hasselblad incorporate motion in their workflow and software. The H6D-100c shoots 4K but it is apparently difficult to grade and edit as the format is literally just the RAW files strung to gather in sequence and no program recognises it.

I'm expecting that this will be a groundbreaking camera and I'm ready to jump in.
I perfectly understand all the hype about a new X1D with 100MP sensor. Me too. But I just wonder how many will be able to hand hold that camera unless they shoot at over 1/2000 and even at that speed it might be difficult. For me I guess the 50 X1D might be my cup of tea for hand held work as I have a 100MP for tripod work and would never think of using it hand held even at high speeds.

DB5

I perfectly understand all the hype about a new X1D with 100MP sensor. Me too. But I just wonder how many will be able to hand hold that camera unless they shoot at over 1/2000 and even at that speed it might be difficult. For me I guess the 50 X1D might be my cup of tea for hand held work as I have a 100MP for tripod work and would never think of using it hand held even at high speeds.
Hey Algrove.

You have the XF, right? I have used the 100MP Phase One back many times on my Hasselblad H and I have had no real problems handholding. The first time I used it I spent the entire time on the tripod being over cautious, and at the end of the shoot I was just playing around with it testing it out and was really quite surprised to find no issues handholding. I've been hand holding it ever since, but there are of course times that I use a tripod too and of course the usual caveats apply that it depends on what you shoot etc.

I think the 100MP X will be excellent and am really excited about the prospect of using my much larger H and Phase One less and even more excited about the prospect of it costing half as much.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I don't think it is hype. It is just next generation sensor, probably with a lot of improvements beyond the increased pixel count.

Yes, to make best use of those 100 MP, careful work would be needed. If you shoot a lot on free hand, it may be the case that image stabilisation may matter more than sensor size.

But making pixels smaller has some benefits:

• Sharpness will improve a bit, as the pixel aperture will be smaller.
  • AF will be more accurate as the AF system will have access to more detail.
  • Hopefully, the new sensor is more optimized for EVF, with faster readout for AF and electronic viewfinder.
  • Not least, there will be less problems with aliasing.

The old sensor is like 4-5 years old. That is a lot of development time. Sony obviously thinks that 3.8 microns is ideal for the underlying technology. So, you can opt for the benefits of the new technology or enjoy lower prices for the old one.

The downside is of course bad prices on resale, but why would you sell if you are happy with your present camera?

Best regards
Erik

satijntje

Hi,

I don't think it is hype. It is just next generation sensor, probably with a lot of improvements beyond the increased pixel count.

Yes, to make best use of those 100 MP, careful work would be needed. If you shoot a lot on free hand, it may be the case that image stabilisation may matter more than sensor size.

But making pixels smaller has some benefits:

• Sharpness will improve a bit, as the pixel aperture will be smaller.
  • AF will be more accurate as the AF system will have access to more detail.
  • Hopefully, the new sensor is more optimized for EVF, with faster readout for AF and electronic viewfinder.
  • Not least, there will be less problems with aliasing.

The old sensor is like 4-5 years old. That is a lot of development time. Sony obviously thinks that 3.8 microns is ideal for the underlying technology. So, you can opt for the benefits of the new technology or enjoy lower prices for the old one.

The downside is of course bad prices on resale, but why would you sell if you are happy with your present camera?

Best regards
Erik
A 100mp sensor has also disadvantages compared to a 50mp.
Just thinking about the Processing of the big amount of Data and its heat production, big files etc
So as I do Not need 100mp, you will stay with a 50mp camera for sure.

Lets See what HB will offer, maybe a 50 AND a 100mp X2D?

algrove

Hey Algrove.

You have the XF, right? I have used the 100MP Phase One back many times on my Hasselblad H and I have had no real problems handholding. The first time I used it I spent the entire time on the tripod being over cautious, and at the end of the shoot I was just playing around with it testing it out and was really quite surprised to find no issues handholding. I've been hand holding it ever since, but there are of course times that I use a tripod too and of course the usual caveats apply that it depends on what you shoot etc.

I think the 100MP X will be excellent and am really excited about the prospect of using my much larger H and Phase One less and even more excited about the prospect of it costing half as much.
Yes, I an XF and an Alpa setup that I use with 100MP backs. The only hand held shooting I can do is with studio lights mainly due to my age. That being said I have a 40 year old friend who owns 100MP backs, but has commented that he was surprised when using his Sony A7R3 that light gusts of wind have ruined many shots while on his travel tripod thus giving him pause on getting a 100MP anything for hand held use. We are all different and when cropping and then printing to 24x36 or even 17x22, tiny capture imperfections become larger imperfections when printed.

I hand held my 50MP 645Z in "street" shooting situations and had good results, but not always. Technique, technique, technique!

Sorry I used the word "hype" perhaps too strongly here. We are all G.A.S guzzlers and Dante has us by the b---s.

Last edited: