The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X2D Thread

Neimad

Anyone with an X1D had overheating issues and/or unexpected shut downs?
I do have the issue during the hot days of the summer (35C New York City) and when I'm using the X1D on a tripod.
The camera will shut down and reboot on its own.
The ARCA-SWISS plate that I'm using has some rubber to protect the camera body. This rubber is blocking the heat coming from body. As mentioned by others, the heat is dissipated by using the aluminum casing and in particular at the bottom of the camera.
So hot days, tripod plus long time on live view is definitely not a good mix for the X1D.
In my opinion, this is a design flaw and Hasselblad should work on it on the X2D. One solution could be to create some recessed lines at the bottom of the body to improve the surface of contact and especially when a tripod plate is mounted.

hcubell

I do have the issue during the hot days of the summer (35C New York City) and when I'm using the X1D on a tripod.
The camera will shut down and reboot on its own.
The ARCA-SWISS plate that I'm using has some rubber to protect the camera body. This rubber is blocking the heat coming from body. As mentioned by others, the heat is dissipated by using the aluminum casing and in particular at the bottom of the camera.
So hot days, tripod plus long time on live view is definitely not a good mix for the X1D.
In my opinion, this is a design flaw and Hasselblad should work on it on the X2D. One solution could be to create some recessed lines at the bottom of the body to improve the surface of contact and especially when a tripod plate is mounted.
Have you tried the RRS plate?

Neimad

I've not tried the RRS plate.
The RRS plates are custom made for specific camera models. If I go for the RRS, it means that I will need as many different plates as cameras I do have.

hcubell

I've not tried the RRS plate.
The RRS plates are custom made for specific camera models. If I go for the RRS, it means that I will need as many different plates as cameras I do have.
Buy it, try it for thirty days and see if it solves your problems. If not, return it.

fotophil

Rubber bracket mounting was great for film cameras that didn't get hot! The rubber material makes a great insulator so the digital cameras can't dissipate their heat. The RRS X1D Plate is all aluminum construction and has an adjustable the vertical plate. It also has a protective shroud that encases the battery. If you don't want to purchase a new plate just remove the rubber and tighten the bolt to prevent slippage.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Are we still working off the assumption that the X2D ....will (1) include a 100MP alternative and (2) will retain the size and form of the X1d .

Fuji s future 100MP body will be much larger than the existing 50 s .

fotophil

I wonder how much the increase in the size of the Fuji 100MP camera is due to cooling requirements of the new chip? I would imagine that the chip stabilization hardware also has an impact on camera body size. Let's hope that Hasselblad is able to retain the X1D size in the X2D.

hcubell

I wonder how much the increase in the size of the Fuji 100MP camera is due to cooling requirements of the new chip? I would imagine that the chip stabilization hardware also has an impact on camera body size. Let's hope that Hasselblad is able to retain the X1D size in the X2D.
I am sure Hasselblad will do everything possible with the X2D to retain the same size body as the X1D. I expect it to incorporate the new 100MP Sony sensor, a new processor, a new EVF, a new LCD, and a Joystick. A tilting LCD is possible. Hasselblad may have to "slightly" increase the size of the body, just like Sony did with the A7RII compared to the original A7R. There are various reasons why. Heat dissipation is one. My guess is it would be a function of battery size. The new sensor, the new processor to run it, the (hopefully) new and upgraded EVF and rear LCD, may all require a more powerful battery. AFAIK, more powerful batteries are bigger. All in all, it should be a much better camera compared to the X1D.

sog1927

Maybe not the sensor itself, but the camera has to have more and faster RAM and a faster image processor to keep up with the doubling of data per frame and the higher frame rate/scan speed. I/O rates to storage media have to be faster, too. All those bits have to go somewhere, after all. As Howard notes below, a better EVF may also take more power. As far as I can tell, Sony hasn't released detailed specifications (power consumption/thermal characteristics) of the new sensors to the public.

I suspect a lot of the increased bulk of the 100MP Fuji is due to the IBIS hardware, though.

My personal preference is also that they keep the form factor as close as possible to the X1D.

fotophil

For many folks it is the X1D ergonomics that keeps it in the game! In contrast the Fuji looks like it was beaten with an ugly stick - zero ergonomics!

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

What I think Hasselblad needs foremost is an ASIC helping the camera processor with image processing. That will increase processing speed while reducing power consumption and heating.

Ming Thein wrote on his blog that Hasselblad could not afford the design of an ASIC. Hopefully the new owner will help with that.

Best regards
Erik

I am sure Hasselblad will do everything possible with the X2D to retain the same size body as the X1D. I expect it to incorporate the new 100MP Sony sensor, a new processor, a new EVF, a new LCD, and a Joystick. A tilting LCD is possible. Hasselblad may have to "slightly" increase the size of the body, just like Sony did with the A7RII compared to the original A7R. There are various reasons why. Heat dissipation is one. My guess is it would be a function of battery size. The new sensor, the new processor to run it, the (hopefully) new and upgraded EVF and rear LCD, may all require a more powerful battery. AFAIK, more powerful batteries are bigger. All in all, it should be a much better camera compared to the X1D.

Christopher

For many folks it is the X1D ergonomics that keeps it in the game! In contrast the Fuji looks like it was beaten with an ugly stick - zero ergonomics!
Might be ugly, but the 50s feels a lot better in my hands compared to the x1d, which I didn’t like holding over a longer period of time. Ergonomics is super personal. I for one hate all the new mirrorless cameras as they just don’t fit nicely into my hand. The grip is just way to small. Others will love it. Same goes for H vs Xf camera.

sog1927

Might be ugly, but the 50s feels a lot better in my hands compared to the x1d, which I didn’t like holding over a longer period of time. Ergonomics is super personal. I for one hate all the new mirrorless cameras as they just don’t fit nicely into my hand. The grip is just way to small. Others will love it. Same goes for H vs Xf camera.
One of the great advantages of living in the Golden Age of Medium Format Digital is that you have options (and they're all pretty damned good) ;-).

algrove

IMHO, I do not see any successor to the X1D to have the same form factor. Heat and cooling will be an issue which eventually affects IQ.

canuxr

IMHO, I do not see any successor to the X1D to have the same form factor. Heat and cooling will be an issue which eventually affects IQ.
CPUs and technology don't work that way. A newer or better CPU can have many times the performance, consume less energy while being overall way more efficient in computations/watts.

It is obvious they would choose better and more efficient CPUs for the X2D.

Sensor side, BSI Sony sensors with similar pixel density are not having any thermal problems, I don't see why this larger BSI sensor would.