The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X2D Thread

david distefano

Well, they failed on the first try, so what makes you think they will get
it right second time?
"Sweden is a failed State" (Donald Trump) and "Handmade in Sweden" sounds
more like a threat these days imho.
Hasselblad is now the hobby of Robert Wang, the owner of DJI and if he will loose
his interest one day we will see the rebirth of the Lunar. :D
written by a person who cannot tell fact from fiction. how do i know, you quoted the most ignorant man on this planet. have you been to sweden or do you get your info from faux news. i been there many times and have family living there. in all areas of standard of living sweden destroys the u s. how many books have been published with your work? were you asked to be an ambassador for a major camera company? i guess your work is better than ming thein who uses the x1d in his work. a real failed piece of equipment. if you don't want to use hasselblad equipment that is your privilege. i don't like canon cameras so i don't use them but i don't go around bad mouthing them. that just shows a small mind. but then again like the president small minds is required for him and his followers.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
written by a person who cannot tell fact from fiction. how do i know, you quoted the most ignorant man on this planet. have you been to sweden or do you get your info from faux news. i been there many times and have family living there. in all areas of standard of living sweden destroys the u s. how many books have been published with your work? were you asked to be an ambassador for a major camera company? i guess your work is better than ming thein who uses the x1d in his work. a real failed piece of equipment. if you don't want to use hasselblad equipment that is your privilege. i don't like canon cameras so i don't use them but i don't go around bad mouthing them. that just shows a small mind. but then again like the president small minds is required for him and his followers.
David ...No politics please ..we have enough to chew on debating Sony,Fuji,Nikon,Canon ,Leica,HB ,Phase .

algrove

If it does have the same form factor, will you buy one?
Probably not-just worry about the long term viability of HB. Let's see what they offer next, but it will be a hard act to follow after Fuji's Photokina announcements.

Last edited:

tcdeveau

Also.....why are you dredging up a users post that was originally posted back in May, over 5 months ago? Just let it be and let’s keep this thread focused on the X2D

DB5

I remain very interested in the X2D mostly because of the 80mm 1.9 The shots I have seen from that lens so far are stunning.

sog1927

Probably not-just worry about the long term viability of HB. Let's see what they offer next, but it will be a hard act to follow after Fuji's Photokina announcements.
Well, even with the DJI stake (however large or small it may be), HB is still a very different company from Fuji. They couldn't have just announced what they were working on without at least showing a fully working, pre-production prototype (or, preferably, a final production model) that people could actually shoot with. While a lot of people were very excited to see the X1D, they did get a fair amount of negative press due to the immature state of the initial firmware and production/delivery delays for the early cameras. I don't think they want a repeat of that. It'll be interesting to see where things stand in May.

hcubell

Hard act to follow? Not at all. All Hasselblad has to do is stay relentlessly focused on what makes the X1D special. The form factor (small and light weight), the ergonomics, the beautiful design, and the streamlined and spare user interface. Fuji double downed on the GFX100S with a big, heavy, ugly body and big, heavy zoom lenses. There is a distinct niche of photographers who want what Hasselblad is offering. Many within that niche know it now. Soon enough, more will realize it. Eventually, everyone responds with what his lower back tells him.

PeterA

Hard act to follow? Not at all. All Hasselblad has to do is stay relentlessly focused on what makes the X1D special. The form factor (small and light weight), the ergonomics, the beautiful design, and the streamlined and spare user interface. Fuji double downed on the GFX100S with a big, heavy, ugly body and big, heavy zoom lenses. There is a distinct niche of photographers who want what Hasselblad is offering. Many within that niche know it now. Soon enough, more will realize it. Eventually, everyone responds with what his lower back tells him.
Keep up the good fight! :grin: No one can challenge the beauty of the XID, it is indeed a tour deforce of beautiful design. However the price difference between the systems will allow me to hire a porter to carry the shoulder load if required.:ROTFL:

In all seriousness this prototype image isn't what I would describe as being a big heavy ugly body - pretty much an ode to Leica SL /S type bodies or typical SLR bodies. As for weight will not be any heavier than the current GFX with hand grip - what I am now using in preparation - I swapped out of XID and a 45mm into a GFXS |zoom and a 23mm for 'even stevens' - and I also get to choose between LR or Capture One for PP - a no brainer for me.

Last edited:

DB5

Perhaps I am in a minority? I think the the GFX100 is a very nice looking design. The GFX50s, really is ugly though.

I feel like Fuji have really pulled out all the stops on this one.

bab

CPUs and technology don't work that way. A newer or better CPU can have many times the performance, consume less energy while being overall way more efficient in computations/watts.

It is obvious they would choose better and more efficient CPUs for the X2D.

Sensor side, BSI Sony sensors with similar pixel density are not having any thermal problems, I don't see why this larger BSI sensor would.
If Apple couldn’t figure it out what makes you think Hasselblad can?

bab

I’m thinking out loud now with all the effort and money put into releasing the newest lens line up for the X1D ya they most probably have a x2d coming. But since the H6D was pretty much crippled at release and has not yet as of today gotten regular firmware up dates SAD. I wouldn’t hold my breath for a fully loaded X2D (I hope I’m wrong)

Not to go into a lot of detail but tell me why when you know for example such basic things with the release of the new H6D weren’t addressed and fixed. Like no Arca Swiss mount, non locking diopter, two front buttons not accessible while using HTS, no continuous auto bracketing, cheap crappy buttons, bad inferior top screen and no new lenses...frustrating. Ya ya it still shoots but it’s far from the ultimate professional camera!

We will see what’s to come I’m leaving the door open but one foot is already out.

PeterA

I’m thinking out loud now with all the effort and money put into releasing the newest lens line up for the X1D ya they most probably have a x2d coming. But since the H6D was pretty much crippled at release and has not yet as of today gotten regular firmware up dates SAD. I wouldn’t hold my breath for a fully loaded X2D (I hope I’m wrong)

Not to go into a lot of detail but tell me why when you know for example such basic things with the release of the new H6D weren’t addressed and fixed. Like no Arca Swiss mount, non locking diopter, two front buttons not accessible while using HTS, no continuous auto bracketing, cheap crappy buttons, bad inferior top screen and no new lenses...frustrating. Ya ya it still shoots but it’s far from the ultimate professional camera!

We will see what’s to come I’m leaving the door open but one foot is already out.
Hasselblad will bring out an X2D and it will be slightly different with regards to whT many think they got wrong in the first iteration - namely 'joystick' to move focus points and hopefully a better evf to do justice to the body and lenses. It is a beautiful camera as it is right now for all its minor nitpicks and misses _ I think Haasselbald should focus more on the mirrorless camera bodies than bring out yet another version of the same thing in the D series - which was just fine as it was a few iterations ago.

sog1927

If Apple couldn’t figure it out what makes you think Hasselblad can?
It's not quite the same situation. For one, a digital camera is not a general-purpose computing device.

The Sony page on the new sensors (https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor2/technology/ist.html), while pretty light on technical details, suggests that the new BI sensors have lower power consumption than their predecessors - so that would certainly give designers a little more wiggle room.

Ming Thein has stated that the X1D was "developed on a shoestring budget" that could not accommodate the development of custom ASICs for the camera. One hopes this isn't true of the X2D (or whatever they're going to end up calling it), or for that matter the next H-series camera. There might very well be an opportunity to significantly improve the performance of the camera without hitting thermal issues by using dedicated hardware.

Still, with twice as many pixels and ~4 times the frame rate I think they're going to need roughly an order of magnitude improvement in processing speed.

jng

Now there's an image gallery on DPReview here for the XCD 80mm f/1.9. Looks like a very good lens. Saving my pennies.

Joe
Thanks for the link, Joe. Very nice, indeed. The bokeh balls look pretty smooth even with the lens stopped down to f/4 (c.f. pic of young man holding camera to his eye), unlike some of the other XCD lenses that show OOF hexagons when stopped down. Does the 80 have rounded aperture blades? Aside from the price tag, I've been favoring the 90 f/3.2 over the 80 f/1.9 as the 90 wide open would allow me some depth of focus with a purely round aperture (with the camera set to max aperture) vs. the 80 stopped down a stop.

John

vjbelle

Joe.... there is only NWW for Dante's forum (Need, Want, Wallet)..:ROTFL:

Ain't life a beach......:grin:

Victor

jng

Thanks, Joe. I think. It's nice to be in the company of enablers and enablees. :p

I'm mostly shooting landscapes as well, but for this I have the tech cam/Phase setup (Dante should be pleased), with the X1D being used for travel and the occasional family/baby/cat portraits. I'm honestly not sure whether the X1D and I can play well enough to get a subject in focus @ f/1.9 (thus the benefit of shooting the 90 wide open @ f/3.2), but the bokeh of the new 80 appears to be quite seductive. Your suggestion to get both the 80 and the 90 is of course the obvious solution, but quite truthfully I'm more afraid of my wife finding out than Dante!

John

John, you're in the Medium Format forum, aka Dante's Inferno. The obvious solution is to buy both. :ROTFL:

Personally, I prefer the 90mm for a couple of reasons. First, I shoot mostly landscapes, not portraits, and rarely shoot wide open. Second, I've pre-ordered the XCD 135mm and Extender and have blown the budget.

Joe

tcdeveau

May not mean much but FWIW I just got an email from B&H stating that the 4116 kit (black X1D with 45mm lens) is now discontinued

JohnBrew

May not mean much but FWIW I just got an email from B&H stating that the 4116 kit (black X1D with 45mm lens) is now discontinued
Interesting. I keep waiting for the 65 lens to be introduced. I think, for me, that would be more enticing than anything else.