The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H5D-50c - Anyone with an HM 16-32 Film Magazine?

dave.gt

Always looking for a project, and who knows, it seems the results always influence the direction I take in the future.

With the recent turn of events, I am looking for a film magazine that works on the Studio's H5D-50c... to rent, borrow or possible trade...

If you have been using one, please post your experiences with it. I am looking to do a direct comparison of shooting Provia/Velvia (using the H5D) and shooting RAW images as usual. If someone has already done this, I would be most interested in seeing your results.

:):):)

dave.gt

Works great. Makes it an even more versatile system than the rest, IMO.

:thumbs:
Thanks! :):):)

I would, ideally like to have two... one for slide film and one for black and white.
Then again, Dante mentioned that another for color film and then another for different speeds, and then... Lol.:thumbup:

I am committed to doing this project because I will learn a lot but it will also be useful for future projects.

dave.gt

Well,

Yesterday I found out that Steve at CI has two film backs I can rent. Not sure how long I can do that, I must decide on the project and make plans for accomplishing what I have in mind.

Carry on,:)

dave.gt

Update:

All smiles!:):):)

Two HM 16-32 film backs from CI have been used the past few days in various situations, using Ilford FP4+, TriX and Velvia 100. Two, not one, film backs are amazing as the flexibility and convenience of having two different films available immediately is simply wonderful.

How do they work? PERFECTLY!:) High quality and user friendly.

The studio's H5D-50c is awesome in itself. Removing the 50c digital back and replacing it with an HM 16-32 back takes less than 5 seconds. Very easy to do and I never lose my mental focus on shooting. The change in format is seamless.

Imagine going from digital to film with the same camera and never changing your shooting or composition to accommodate a different camera. The backs are loaded, and the camera advances film automatically and even rewinds the film after shooting the last frame. Typically for Hasselblads, the experience is fantastic!

This evening, I will shoot two rolls not in the golden hour but in the gloaming as lights in the buildings and street lights illuminate around our little town square.

If you have never tried the film backs with the H series cameras, you are missing
a wonderful experience as now, the H5 digital is also an H5 analog shooter... twice the camera!

Stay tuned, images, at a later date, to be posted.:thumbs:

dave.gt

Update #2:

Two rolls of exposed Velvia film were mailed to Dwayne's today. They should be back in 10 days ready to edit and scan. Several rolls of black and white film will be processed and scanned next week.

And..... drum roll please... I will purchase the two rental HM 16-32 film backs by the end of July! For me to sacrifice/sell a valued piece of equipment for those film backs is evidence that I am delighted with their performance. :grin:

med

Update #2:

Two rolls of exposed Velvia film were mailed to Dwayne's today. They should be back in 10 days ready to edit and scan. Several rolls of black and white film will be processed and scanned next week.

And..... drum roll please... I will purchase the two rental HM 16-32 film backs by the end of July! For me to sacrifice/sell a valued piece of equipment for those film backs is evidence that I am delighted with their performance. :grin:
Nice! Congrats. This is the biggest feature missing from the Phase One XF IMHO... I really miss the ability I had with my H1 to swap film and digital in seconds without missing a beat. I also miss the size/weight of the H1!

bensonga

Update #2:

Congratulations Dave....excellent decision. I did not realize the H5D bodies had the capability to use film backs....good to know!

This versatility on my Hasselblad 501/503 cameras and Mamiya/Phase One 645AFD/DF cameras is something I appreciate too. I don’t actually take advantage of the versatility however, since I prefer to keep my digital backs mounted on dedicated bodies and have multiple film backs for use on other Hasselblad/Mamiya/Phase bodies. Being able to quickly swap backs for color & BW film is a real plus.

Of course, all of my MF camera bodies are much less capable and less expensive than a H5D body.

Gary

dave.gt

I agree it's one of my favourite things about the H, a seamless solution.
Indeed...:) it is a seamless system and I have been using it daily for exactly one year tomorrow. After a year of researching the various systems and now a full year of using the H5D, I really should write a review/impression of this magnificent system.

One of the striking things that goes unnoticed, imo, is the genius of modularity. Everything is easily removable, and exchangeable. What a concept! It is such a great concept that the obvious solution to flexibility over time is owning and using different backs!

Digital capture does not have to be with only one back. It occurs to me that digital backs have their own signatures. GetDPI member, Deltona, has blown my mind with his excellent Fat Pixel back, as have others. The 50c is probably the only back I will ever need but for artistic reasons, I may look at other digital backs. No need to change cameras, I don't backpack into the remote areas like many so weight is of no concern to me. In fact, the H5D is in my Billingham bag everyday as I go about the daily business of life.

Modularity is inherently flexible in concept and in practice. Want to shoot with film? Go for it! I will be shooting every kind of film, fresh and expired, that I can get my hands on. Color, black and white, slide film, maybe even the wild Lomo films.

Want a backup for your main camera? Just get another back. With the high price of new digital backs, cost is a huge deterrent, of course. But the older backs offer great value for the money. The world is anxiously awaiting 100 and 150mp backs with more bells and whistles. Cool!

Somehow I think the beautiful images that have been made with older backs, digital and film, will never be obsolete.

It has been almost 50 years that I have been shooting film, and I can spend the rest of my life learning and trying to master shooting film images. The 50c happens to be the only digital back I have ever used (and it is not even mine), and it is clear that I will never fully master shooting with it either.

Nothing could be better than having a creative endeavor that never gets boring! I am addicted to the Next Image and I am excited every time I pick up the camera I am using just to see what I can do with it and pushing the envelope beyond my comfort zone sometimes results in amazing results amid the many failures but the learning process is a form of creative work that I need desperately.

Camera therapy!:thumbs:

Last edited: