The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hyperfocal distance and CoC

bomzi

I've only recently starting using hyperfocal distance focusing in my work. :banghead:
But better late then never!

When using the Arca Swiss VarioFinder (with an RM3Di and P45+) with the little hyperfocal drum, it gives me the following measurements:

SK 35
5.6 8 11 16
3.0 m 2.7 - 3.3 2.6 - 3.5 2.5 - 3.8 2.3 - 4.3
8.0m 6.3 - 11.2 5.8 - 13.5 5.2 - 17.9 4.5 - ∞

I checked the forum and came across a discussion from a few years ago:
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...cks/29148-circle-confusion-current-mfdbs.html

Reading through the discussion, I settled on .014 as a good number to work with for CoC for my sensor. I plugged this into DOF Master's Depth of Field table and got the following numbers:

5.6 8 11 16
3.0 m 2.5 - 3.7 2.4 - 4.1 2.2 - 4.9 2.0 - 6.6
8.0m 5.3 - 16.5 4.6 - 29.4 3.9 - ∞ 3.3 - ∞

The numbers are clearly different. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Randhir

Shashin

Your number simply could be different because you are using a different CoC than Arca. Why not take an image and see how you feel about the CoC you have chosen. DoF is a perceptual quality in an image.

Zeiss gives the CoC as d/1500, where d is the diagonal of the format. Naturally, you can increase or decrease that depending on your criteria. You should be evaluating DoF in a print, not at 100% monitor view.