The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Rodenstock HRSW coming - 135/140mm!

narikin

Accurate post... in MAY!. Do i get a Gold star?:

Rodenstock 138mm f6.5 HR Digaron SW FLOAT announced.

(Wish i knew what the stock market was doing with similar accuracy!)

RodK

Couldn't find it. A link would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Rodenstock recommends as a working aperture for most Digarons only f-stop 5.6 (For some, a working aperture of 5.6 - 8 is recommended). Why not simply have a fixed aperture of f-stop 5.6!

(Strange if we would be loosing the ability/option to select the aperture while smartphones are starting to get variable aperture (Galaxy Note 9)).
The partial reason is that the diffraction gets worse as you stop down. But if you are only making a small reproduction it may be satisfactory for an 8x10 for instance, but not for 13x19... Their Aperture recommendation is by engineers who may not even photograph.

Also which DB is one using?
One can get by easily at F 11.5 with a 50mp or 60mp back, but an 80mp pushes you back to F8.5 as a limit.

I just tested a 100mp back at F11 and F8. The F8 was far better, even when diffraction software was applied.

The finer the pixel, the quicker the diffraction shows up as one closes down.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

narikin

These lenses with their 110mm image circle are made for stitching, shifting, tilting. So you are using the extended image circle, not simply the center.

F5.6 is fine theoretically for the center, but if you are using the edges you need to go to f8 at least. The trade off is very much worth it. Edge performance improves dramatically as you move up by one stop. 2 is borderline. Above f11 and the central loss is too much, for sure.

It's a trade off in other words. Center vs edges. I settled on around f8, speaking as a regular 90 hrsw user. (4 way stitches w Alpa Max).

TheDude

Accurate post... in MAY!. Do i get a Gold star?:

Rodenstock 138mm f6.5 HR Digaron SW FLOAT announced.

(Wish i knew what the stock market was doing with similar accuracy!)
Someone in the know told me LAST YEAR that such a lens will be introduced at photokina 2018. Was generally known in the industry.

Made sense since the Apo-Macro-Sironar digital 120 mm f/5,6 is no longer available.

narikin

Someone in the know told me LAST YEAR that such a lens will be introduced at photokina 2018. Was generally known in the industry.

Made sense since the Apo-Macro-Sironar digital 120 mm f/5,6 is no longer available.
That's as may be, but unless you post it here, for all to read, "someone told me" doesn't count!

Care to tell us exactly what will be at Photokina 2019? I'd love to know...

:)