The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens to use on bellows for close-up

John_McMaster

I am a Leica S user, I have just bought the Mamiya 645 bellows to use with tilt/shift for close-up (not macro) work. Currently looking into what lens is best to use, I think my choices are: Mamiya 120mm macro, Hasselblad C 120mm or 135mm or an El-Nikkor 135mm. I have both S 120mm lenses, but the T/S does not focus close enough for what I want to use it for. Expecting to need 1:10 to 1:1 magnification while using tilt...

Any thoughts on which will give the best (sharp, no/low CA etc) results on the 30x45 sensor when using movements?

The bellows come with a Mamiya 645 lens mount, I am not sure if it is removable to use a technical camera lens in a suitable board.

john

Shashin

With movements, and enlarger lens will give you the best option, particularly in regards to the size of the image circle. I would also look at Schneider and Rodenstock enlarger lenses. The 135mm and 150mm lenses are designed for 4x5 film and will have at least a 150mm image circle. However, they are optimized when stopped down to f/8 or f/11. I also believe they may come in APO versions. But the regular versions a excellent as well. If those focal lengths do not give you enough magnification, an 80mm enlarger lens may work just as well, but with an image circle on around 80mm. (Naturally, the image circle also depends on lens to sensor distance.)

John_McMaster

I said El-Nikkor but meant any of the big three at that focal length or 150mm, it was whether they would be as good as a camera lens although with the benefit of large image circle.

john

Shashin

Enlarger lenses are great as camera lenses, especially at high magnification, which they are designed for. The only odd thing is that the in-focus image may be more pleasing than the out-of-focus image--they are designed to reproduce flat planes and so bokeh is not a criteria for these. However, macro photographers have been using enlarger lenses for year and I have never known anyone to complain.

nikonf

I have and love the Schneider APO Macro Digitar 120mm f5.6 lens. It is as sharp as possible - even with a 100mp digital back.
Enjoy,
Mike
Enlarger lenses are great as camera lenses, especially at high magnification, which they are designed for. The only odd thing is that the in-focus image may be more pleasing than the out-of-focus image--they are designed to reproduce flat planes and so bokeh is not a criteria for these. However, macro photographers have been using enlarger lenses for year and I have never known anyone to complain.

Steve Hendrix

I am a Leica S user, I have just bought the Mamiya 645 bellows to use with tilt/shift for close-up (not macro) work. Currently looking into what lens is best to use, I think my choices are: Mamiya 120mm macro, Hasselblad C 120mm or 135mm or an El-Nikkor 135mm. I have both S 120mm lenses, but the T/S does not focus close enough for what I want to use it for. Expecting to need 1:10 to 1:1 magnification while using tilt...

Any thoughts on which will give the best (sharp, no/low CA etc) results on the 30x45 sensor when using movements?

The bellows come with a Mamiya 645 lens mount, I am not sure if it is removable to use a technical camera lens in a suitable board.

john

I tested this setup some years back, not with a Leica, but with the auto bellows and the Mamiya 120mm macro. I had poor results once I extended past 1:1. I never had a chance to re-test to confirm if I was doing something wrong. But it did appear that diffraction set in quickly.

Steve Hendrix/CI

John_McMaster

Thanks, I am starting off with a Schneider Componon-S 135/5.6 on rafcamera adapters (Mamiya 645 to M65, and an M65 blank tapped to M50). Will be with me in a couple of weeks....

john