The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya RZ pro IID framing masks in wrong orientation

arionelli

Revisiting the Mamiya RZ and have just acquired a Pro IID for mostly digital back use. Still awaiting the arrival of a p25 back but have the adaptor for cable free function at hand. Camera looks in excellent shape but when I revolve the back plate the framing masks cover the opposite orientation...ie, when the opening of the adaptor is in horizontal position, the masks in the finder for vertical orientation are engaged and vice versa. I would be grateful if some of the brothers here who know their way around the RZ can shed some light on this fault and how to rectify it. I will contact the seller also.
Thank you.
Martin

anwarp

Congratulations on your latest acquisition!

If you are using the digital adapter or a 645 roll film back, this is the correct behaviour. The smaller 645 frame size will have a vertical orientation with the framing guides horizontal.
The focusing screen is nearly 70mm in each dimension so the masks don't matter unless you are using a 67 film back.

There is a good reason for digital adapter plate to be designed with the release on the side; if you use an older leaf back with the external battery, the release catch would have otherwise interfered with the back.

Have fun!

Anwar

anwarp

Another option is to use a fine permanent marker to draw the outlines on the protective glass. That’s what I’ve done.

Steve, thanks for the link to the video.

arionelli

Ahh, the brothers have spoken ;>)
I don't have a film or digital back to play with yet but I was sizing up the bits by eyeball and thought it may not even matter if the orientation is wrong (for digital) as the sensor size looks like it would probably fit either way...good news from you it was designed as such. Even better that this is not a fault with the machinery.
Thanks Anwar and Steve, that is a relief.
Good to go.
Martin