The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

xcd 30mm or xcd 21mm?

Thanks! Yeah, the 21mm is the way to go for me. If the H24mm was the same price as a used 28mm then I'd consider that, but since it's so much more expensive, I'd rather have the more compact XCD lens that's a little wider. Do you know what the exposure difference is cause by? Was the 30 set to 3.5 and the 21 set to f/4? Or does the 21mm just seem darker at the same exposure. Not really a big deal, just curious.

Thanks again

Here ya go guys. 21mm is on the left, 30mm is on the right. All I did was switch lenses while the camera was on the tripod and so the exact same camera position was maintained for both shots. Hopefully that gives an idea of the differences for interiors. It's not a particularly big room but one of the least-messy rooms of the house :p Hope that's helpful. If there's anything else you want to see, let me know
-Todd

View attachment 134444

tcdeveau

Thanks! Yeah, the 21mm is the way to go for me. If the H24mm was the same price as a used 28mm then I'd consider that, but since it's so much more expensive, I'd rather have the more compact XCD lens that's a little wider. Do you know what the exposure difference is cause by? Was the 30 set to 3.5 and the 21 set to f/4? Or does the 21mm just seem darker at the same exposure. Not really a big deal, just curious.

Thanks again
No idea honestly. I shot both in aperture property at f8, ISO 100. I think the 21mm shot was 1 sec, 30mm shot 1.4 sec The focus point was reset when I powered off and changed lenses, so it’s possible I didn’t get exactly the same focal point (I’ve got the smallest size selected for focal point selection) and the metering was therefore different. Could be other reasons.

I was in the same boat. A 24mm HCD showed up on eBay for sale by mpb.com for under $3k before I bought the 21mm, which is the lowest I’ve ever seen a used 24mm, but I thought the wider and more compact native lens was still the way to go. Plus, for astro work, I imagine f4 with the 21mm vs f4.8 with the 24mm HCD would be preferable. On the X1D, there’s also guaranteed AF with the 21mm but maybe not with a used 24mm HCD - since they rarely pop up used you kinda have to take what you can get.

chimbos

As the post says which one of these do you think is better choice.

I already have the 45 and 90

The xcd 30mm feels like it will be too close to the 45.

But I don't shoot ultra ultra wide that much.

Seeking input from the few that have both.
I have found this little Nikon tool helpful, I know it is not medium format but it should give you a good simulation of the different focal lengths.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/index.htm

Matthew

No idea honestly. I shot both in aperture property at f8, ISO 100. I think the 21mm shot was 1 sec, 30mm shot 1.4 sec The focus point was reset when I powered off and changed lenses, so it’s possible I didn’t get exactly the same focal point (I’ve got the smallest size selected for focal point selection) and the metering was therefore different. Could be other reasons.

That explains the tiny difference. Just waiting impatiently on my lens...

Thanks again!