The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Cambo Actus XCD users?

retcheto

I’ve never used a view camera before and want to learn, so I’m thinking of getting ting a Cambo for my X1D.

Any one using this? Any general advice or things I should be aware of? Any lens recommendations?

Boinger

I had one to test for a day or two.

It didn't fully work for me because I had the wrong bellows. But i was able to grab some test shots and work with it a little bit.

I can answer whatever questions for you? I am not that experienced in view cameras myself.

I used it with technical camera lenses

HR40
HR70
Apo sironar digital 90mm
SK 120mm ASPH

The HR40 CAN infinity focus on the XCD but you are limited to about +- 5mm in either direction and same for tilt and swing. This is because the rear element goes into the mount on the XCD (not into the camera)

With the X1d you are limited to Electronic shutter. Unless you have tech cam lenses with integrated shutter then you can use that, and you will not get the rolling shutter effect with that method. One point about Electronic shutter it limits you to ISO 3200 and if you do some long very exposures there can be issues.

CAMBOUSA

HR40
HR70
Apo sironar digital 90mm
SK 120mm ASPH

The HR40 CAN infinity focus on the XCD but you are limited to about +- 5mm in either direction and same for tilt and swing. This is because the rear element goes into the mount on the XCD (not into the camera)
Officially Cambo recommends that large format lenses that are 70mm and longer should have no issues. 50mm looks like it could work with some limitations on movements. individual results however, may vary. The Cambo Actar line should also have no issues with the X1D

With the X1d you are limited to Electronic shutter. Unless you have tech cam lenses with integrated shutter then you can use that, and you will not get the rolling shutter effect with that method. One point about Electronic shutter it limits you to ISO 3200 and if you do some long very exposures there can be issues.
From our testing we can't recommend using lenses the integrated shutter. It resulted in a very small portion of the image actually being exposed even when using a 1 second exposure on the body itself and a faster speed on the lens shutter.

Sorry to hear about the bellows mixup.

If anyone has any more questions please feel free to drop us a message. Yes, I'm a little biased, but I'm always truthful in my answers.

Boinger

Officially Cambo recommends that large format lenses that are 70mm and longer should have no issues. 50mm looks like it could work with some limitations on movements. individual results however, may vary. The Cambo Actar line should also have no issues with the X1D

From our testing we can't recommend using lenses the integrated shutter. It resulted in a very small portion of the image actually being exposed even when using a 1 second exposure on the body itself and a faster speed on the lens shutter.

If anyone has any more questions please feel free to drop us a message. Yes, I'm a little biased, but I'm always truthful in my answers.

That is strange I tried this with my tech cam lenses and was able to expose the picture properly using the front shutter. I suppose I could test again and see what happens.

A note about the HR40.

20180523_184904.jpg

That red line is the inner the border between the inner / outer ring of the mount. As you see the lens here it is set to infinity focus. I called cambo to see if they could make a wider opening to allow a little move movement. Just thought I would post it and show you. It does not actually go all the way into the camera mount to attain infinity focus.

Boinger

I did some more testing. And if you set the exposure to about 2- 3 seconds, and expose towards the end of the exposure not the beginning you can expose the entire sensor. Governing the speed from the front, I test with a 1/125th shutter speed.