The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I am thinking of getting the Fujifilm GFX 50S ....am I nuts ?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
+1 on it being an excellent system. I replaced all of my 35mm digital systems (Nikon/Sony) with the Fuji and have been very happy. In reality it’s no bulkier than any 35mm system in my experience.

I use it as a complement / Travel camera system for my Phase IQ / XF / Cambo Actus DB System.

Other than the lack of Capture One support (which is down to Phase One), I cant fault it.

Btw, I also think that you can’t go wrong with the Hassy X1D these days either - they seem to have addressed their teething problems it seems now.

Boinger

+1 on it being an excellent system. I replaced all of my 35mm digital systems (Nikon/Sony) with the Fuji and have been very happy. In reality it’s no bulkier than any 35mm system in my experience.

I use it as a complement / Travel camera system for my Phase IQ / XF / Cambo Actus DB System.

Other than the lack of Capture One support (which is down to Phase One), I cant fault it.

Btw, I also think that you can’t go wrong with the Hassy X1D these days either - they seem to have addressed their teething problems it seems now.
Yep, I tried both camera's initially I opted for the X1d, simply for size reasons and I liked the simplicity of everything.

Fuji in it's current state CAN do more than the x1d except flash sync.

But it is almost as bulky as my 645z was with the lenses on.

While they made the body relatively small the lenses are pretty much full size MF lenses.

I personally liked the x1d petite lens route better.

Just depends what you plan to use it for.

Don Libby

Go for it! I no longer use a Phase One having gone with the GFX since early last year. Currently traveling in Scotland with the GFX and have never had any issues. I've tried the tethering both with the Fuji and LR software and find both adequate. I stopped using C1 about 10-months ago I find I really don't miss it (that much); then again I'm a landscape, nature and wildlife photographer.Don

kdphotography

The Fuji GFX is my "travel" camera. It does great---except for the lack of good back end workflow, aka Capture One Pro. For landscapes, where I can pick and choose what to edit, this limited workflow is fine. Semi-retired now, so the Fuji also replaced all of the Canon 35mm DSLR gear. Nice to be rid of the 35mm format (save for my Sony full spectrum) as I much prefer the medium format which is closer to 4:3. The Fuji is a great system and offers the best bang for the buck. It is a great complement to my Phase One XF and Cambo paired with IQ3 100. That being said, if Phase One came out with a similar cropped/mirrorless system, you'll probably see my Fuji GFX on the Buy-Sell here at GetDPI, or maybe it gets converted to IR by Kolari Vision... :loco:

Get the GFX, add the Wine Country Filter system, and you're ready for seascapes. (Below images all with the Fuji GFX)

C'mon in---the water's fine.

Ken

Attachments

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I would think the Fuji GFX is the best of those systems. Chance is that the samples you have seen could have been taken with any camera.

Modern cameras are that good. You probably need to print large, 30”x40” to see a difference.

Best regards
Erik

the form factor is killer and the samples I have seen look jaw dropping

I am glad I did not spend money on another system

jduncan

what do you guys think - jump into this system for seascapes around California?

Hi,
Yes, of course, sane people don't buy MF.
Why will you buy the equivalent of a bad mistress when you can buy the Nikon D850, Sony Alpha a7R III or the Canon 5DS R?

But if you embrace your kinky (image /colors), and decide to enjoy it, an MF camera system can be a system to love for years and years, and you will see the difference.

Jokes aside, If you are planning on buying MF as your main system the GFX could be a better solution. If you are planning to have an MF camera for your creative endeavors and keep you CaNikon for other jobs. Buy the Hasselblad.
If you need the 100mpx or you can wait until the end of the year, you may be tempted to get the next generation camera.

Best regards,

Paul2660

The price point of the GFX, with the 1K rebate to a lens (if it's still available) is a great deal.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1364661-REG/fujifilm_gfx_50s_medium_format.html

The GFX and it's set of lenses still impresses me. I am not afraid of it's "ugliness" and love it in daily use.

Really the key point is the Sony 50MP chip, and you can get that chip with either the X1D or the GFX. That chip which first came out in 2014 I believe, is an amazing chip. And both Hasselblad and Fuji have pushed the feature set of that chip well beyond what P1 did with the IQ250 and IQ350, 150 et all. (Full ES, multiple focus points, Focus peaking, Focus stacking, EVF tech, Touch to focus, more versatile ISO range)

The high light recovery on the the chip is huge, and the color that is hidden within just waiting to get out is impressive.

Fuji's only weak link is tethering, and it's apparent that P1 will not pass on the keys to the kingdom even though they are no where in the same ball park with a product. Lets see 6.5 to 8K vs 35K? and the 35K doesn't have a body, or maybe is does now? Well, there are also some weird design issues, (location of Q button, stupid strap lug design, Touch AF but no touch for shutter) But these are nits.

The C1 software works fine on the raw from Fuji, and I am sure on Hasselblad, however Hasselblad has phocus and it's come a long way to getting much closer to C1 standards. (in regards to raw conversion, have no idea about tethering).

The X1D appealed to me for 1 minute until I saw no moveable screen. Been there done that. If you are young and don't have any low back, mid back or neck issues, did I mention knees, then bending down low to get the shot right is not a big deal. For me it's huge deal, and being able to hold the camera at waist level and see what I am shooting is also a big deal.

Both cameras have a super chip, IMO probably the best MF chip out there, superior in DR to the 100MP chip at least mine.

Both companies are very focused on their respective platforms and are bring more new lenses out each quarter, (note Fuji just added their next roadmap with 4 new GF lenses, possible a T/S lens).

I have not been that impressed with the D850, just can't seem to get the same image quality from it as my D810, (Sony chip vs non Sony maybe), or just me.

Also don't forget the GFX Rangefinder should be announced soon. It will be smaller as it won't have the EVF, and may under the 4K price point.

Lots of good things coming soon from Fuji and I am sure from Hasselblad also.

Paul Caldwell

Last edited:

trioderob

what if they put out a rangefinder version of this camera for 3900 ?

I think folks would poop - it would be a game changer

it get you too close to full frame 35 prices yet blows them out of the water

algrove

what do you guys think - jump into this system for seascapes around California ?
IF you "Jump into seascapes with this kit, I am not sure how it will do in salt water. Just joking. I was with Don when he first started using the GFX and his images are great.

Give it a go. Ken's images are dynamite too.

trioderob

I got to check out the system - its a real honey.

very nice size and weight even with the smaller lens.

I WILL BE BUYING THE RANGEFINDER VERSION OR TRY TO GET A STEAL ON A USED ONE !

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
what if they put out a rangefinder version of this camera for 3900 ?

I think folks would poop - it would be a game changer

it get you too close to full frame 35 prices yet blows them out of the water
Well, I still remember all the $8k Nikon D1, D1X, D2X, D3x’s that I had ... not to mention the cheaper D700, D3, D3s, D800’s, D810 that I’ve had. I’m sure Canon shooters have their own personal expensive 35mm journey.

By comparison the GFX still seems to be a bargain and the lenses truly are superb. I honestly have no regrets with this system especially now that the native lens options continue to expand, and tbh my adapted lenses have been great too.

Also, I can attest to the GFX as being built as hard as nails. Mine hasn’t concussed me yet (D3X & 600VR swing on a gimbal has that claim to fame - not recommended!) but it certainly has survived a bump on a bridge from 2ft arguably leaving a bigger mark on the concrete than on the camera! (Which continues to work perfectly).

Like Ken, I’m likely to pick up another at some point or the 100mp version when that comes out and full spectrum or IR convert my existing GFX at Kolari. (As Ken knows that ground work has already been done :) )

narikin

I assumed you were asking "am I nuts?!" because the 100mp version is around the corner, and everyone is waiting for that. But nobody else reads your question that way, so... maybe it's me!

If I read you correctly, then yes, wait (unless you're someone who needs 2 bodies always, active+spare, then go for it at the reduced 'sale' price). The lenses will not change. I'm a Phase person, but waiting for the 100mp version of this, and will almost certainly jump in, as soon as it's released.

2 caveats: Firstly, if Phase do announce their own system, I may switch that way. Secondly, no Capture One, Aaaarghh! It remains the gold standard in RAW processing and color. I've put so much time into learning it, and I hate Lightroom and it's inferior results (for MF users, compared to C1), that it's really hard to accept dropping that,

All imho, of course!

algrove

I wonder how difficult it might be to hand hold the 100MP version when it comes. I know from using my 50MP Pentax 645Z hand held images were superb so I assume this 50MP model is just the same while using good technique during hand held captures. Sure I most always go for tripod, but on occasion hand held is necessary. For example, I am told from someone who was at Antelope Canyon in April, it is now better to opt for NO tripod in Antelope Canyon due to crowds and tripod restrictions.

Paul2660

Hopefully IBIS will be part of the 100mp system. Fuji has it in their X-H1 and it work well.

Fuji only has OIS in a couple of their GF lenses.

Paul C