The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I am thinking of getting the Fujifilm GFX 50S ....am I nuts ?

Paul2660

250mm is a winner for sure. Another great lens.

Tariff So far doesn't apply to Japanese imports, only China. Based on the details of tariffs, possible that Hasselblad/DJI may have an impact. For sure the Drone product set falls under the technology portion (high tech).

Fuji GFX still made in Japan as far as I know.

Paul Caldwell

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
250mm is a winner for sure. Another great lens.
I don't know about your experience Paul but my early testing of my 250mm is that it's as good, or arguably better than my Phase One 240LS :bugeyes:

Just waiting for the teleconverter now. VERY VERY pleased with this new native addition. So far I've had absolutely no complaints with my 23, 32-64, 120 and 250mm GF lenses and the camera just does the job which is the best recommendation I can make for it.

Don Libby

I've been testing my new 250 and 1.4 shooting small fast moving objects and have found it a winner. The AF is slightly slower with the 1.4 however I've found it more than adequate. The lens is physically larger than my older Mamiya APO 200 which it should be since it had AF. While the 250/1.4 is a bit heavier I nevertheless have had no issues handholding it. It's nice to be able to use a lens with no adaptor other than the converter. I'll be posting the Mamiya APO 200, 2x Vivitar and FotodioX very soon for sale.Sample images from taken with the 250 can be found on our Instagram page under Iron Creek Photography as well as the Fuji GFX Facebook page.Don

Paul2660

Don.

Where did you find a 1.4 in stock?

Glad to see they are starting to ship. I wish it worked with the 32-64 also.

Paul Caldwell

Don Libby

Don. Where did you find a 1.4 in stock? Glad to see they are starting to ship. I wish it worked with the 32-64 also. Paul Caldwell
Paul, I ended up #1 on a pre-order list for both at Fotocare. It looked like I'd have them a day prior to leaving for Scotland however that didn't happen and had to wait until I returned to get them. Give Fotocare a call and ask for Anthony Festa 212-741-2990 or email [email protected] Don

GrahamWelland

I'm not saying that the Fuji lenses are awesome ... ok, yes, I am!

This was a simple test at my normal standard test scene with the 250mm. I'm pretty darned happy right off the bat with this lens and the 23/32-64/120 are just as good.

100% Raw:

Last edited:

ErikKaffehr

So, what is your take on the upcoming 100MP version? It seems the lenses are waiting for it!

Best regards
Erik

I don't know about your experience Paul but my early testing of my 250mm is that it's as good, or arguably better than my Phase One 240LS :bugeyes:

Just waiting for the teleconverter now. VERY VERY pleased with this new native addition. So far I've had absolutely no complaints with my 23, 32-64, 120 and 250mm GF lenses and the camera just does the job which is the best recommendation I can make for it.

Mark C

Interesting thread. I agree it’s a shame that Capture 1 doesn’t offer support for the GFX but, it doesn’t mean it’s unusable. My workflow tends to be open the GFX .Raf file in LR, set one of the film presets from there (often Acros) then r click and open as a Tiff in C1. After working through C1 either save or open in PS if any more detailed layers work required. No doubt the last step is achievable in C1 but I’m a lot more confident in Adobe whilst I continue to learn C1.

Don Libby

I've completely gone away from C1 using PSCC only and don't miss it at all. Okay one thing I do miss is the ability to check focus with one click however that it. I have LR for those rare times I want to tethered. I don't miss the heavy weight of my Phase One gear either. This is a winner and I'm looking forward to seeing the 100 megapixel GFX.

Paul2660

So, what is your take on the upcoming 100MP version? It seems the lenses are waiting for it!

Best regards
Erik
2019 will be a great year for Fuji and Hasselblad. Jury is still out on what P1 will have. 100MP with Phase detect and hopefully IBIS (Fuji has it now on the XH1).

Can’t wait.

Paul Caldwell

GrahamWelland

I love my IQ3100 and Cambo Actus DB / Phase XF systems but TBH I think that we've pretty much plateaued out with resolution and DR. I'll certainly upgrade my GFX when it comes along but likely not my IQ3100 to 150mp. Definitely a case of diminishing returns (plus I need a new sports car more than I need a MFDB upgrade :p).

GrahamWelland

I've completely gone away from C1 using PSCC only and don't miss it at all. Okay one thing I do miss is the ability to check focus with one click however that it. I have LR for those rare times I want to tethered. I don't miss the heavy weight of my Phase One gear either. This is a winner and I'm looking forward to seeing the 100 megapixel GFX.
All I can say is +1 - probably not going to upgrade my IQ3100 but I will upgrade the Fuji when it comes along.

Stuart Richardson

On a related note: How do people find the Fuji 63mm and/or 45mm lenses.

The Fuji MTF charts are a joke. Theoretical, no aperture given, but apparently they out-resolve by far any Zeiss Otus or any lens ever made! Which is clearly a big bag of twaddle.

I'd expect they are poor at f2.8, but by f4 and certainly f5.6 should be good. But are they really good, or just good?
My friend has lent me a GFX with the 63mm lens, and I have compared it to my Leica S 006 and 70mm. The 63mm lens is sharper across the field at the normal working apertures I have tested. I have not done a rigorous test, but it seems to be fantastic. The 70mm is the weakest lens in the S line that I have used other than the zoom, so I suspect the 45mm, 35mm or 120mm would be better or on par in terms of sharpness. I have not tested for vignetting, bokeh, distortion, etc, I just had a look at the files I shot with both cameras at similar apertures. I may do some more rigorous tests soon. I like the colors from the S better, but the sharpness and overall image quality from the Fuji seem better. Still surprisingly close given that the Fuji is six years newer. I agree with others that the Q button and play button are annoying. I also do not like the EVF style of working. I find the S a much more pleasurable camera to shoot, but the Fuji is remarkably good, and if I were entering from scratch I am pretty certain I would go that route, if only because it is such an incredible value for the image quality it provides.

PedroL

My friend has lent me a GFX with the 63mm lens, and I have compared it to my Leica S 006 and 70mm. The 63mm lens is sharper across the field at the normal working apertures I have tested. I have not done a rigorous test, but it seems to be fantastic. The 70mm is the weakest lens in the S line that I have used other than the zoom, so I suspect the 45mm, 35mm or 120mm would be better or on par in terms of sharpness. I have not tested for vignetting, bokeh, distortion, etc, I just had a look at the files I shot with both cameras at similar apertures. I may do some more rigorous tests soon. I like the colors from the S better, but the sharpness and overall image quality from the Fuji seem better. Still surprisingly close given that the Fuji is six years newer. I agree with others that the Q button and play button are annoying. I also do not like the EVF style of working. I find the S a much more pleasurable camera to shoot, but the Fuji is remarkably good, and if I were entering from scratch I am pretty certain I would go that route, if only because it is such an incredible value for the image quality it provides.
I just got back from my workshop in Iceland. I am long time Hasselblad shooter and dealer, started to use Fuji cameras few month ago, after becoming a Fujifilm dealer as well. My GFX I used in Iceland with 32-64 zoom lens. Many times got caught in pouring rain, snow, sleet, you name it. This camera passed the very tough test with flying colors. It is a pleasure to use and unbeatable value for the money. If you need more info or sample images, I would be delighted to get it for you.

Stuart Richardson

I just got back from my workshop in Iceland. I am long time Hasselblad shooter and dealer, started to use Fuji cameras few month ago, after becoming a Fujifilm dealer as well. My GFX I used in Iceland with 32-64 zoom lens. Many times got caught in pouring rain, snow, sleet, you name it. This camera passed the very tough test with flying colors. It is a pleasure to use and unbeatable value for the money. If you need more info or sample images, I would be delighted to get it for you.
Thank you Pedro. The GFX has a reliable and friendly dealer here and the pricing is favorable compared to other options, so there are a lot of pro photographers using it. We do not have a big enough market to support a large number of Phase backs (though there are some), and it seems that Fuji has a much more attainable price point for pros here. I have not seen any X1D's here, but a bunch of GFX´s. The weather sealing is a huge plus here for anyone shooting outside of the studio, as you probably discovered. The S has been totally flawless on this front too, I should say. It works beautifully in terrible conditions.

GrahamWelland

I can personally attest to the weather sealing. Mine has been used in deluges in the Pacific NorthWET many times and keeps on chugging along. Obviously, some common sense is required to make sure that you keep it regularly patted down (note the towel) but I've not had any issues from multiple outings.

Mine has also had a couple of bumps in the field which it has survived just fine with perhaps just a little 'patina' now. I'm not recommending doing that, but this camera and lenses are pretty darned robust.

vjbelle

I love my IQ3100 and Cambo Actus DB / Phase XF systems but TBH I think that we've pretty much plateaued out with resolution and DR. I'll certainly upgrade my GFX when it comes along but likely not my IQ3100 to 150mp. Definitely a case of diminishing returns (plus I need a new sports car more than I need a MFDB upgrade :p).
I also love my 3100 and Actus and am convinced that I need no further pixels for my printing needs. But...... DR??.... Man, if somehow someone could supply another 2 stops of DR that would really be something!!! To me thats a big deal.

Also agree that I probably will not be upgrading my 3100.... at least at historical upgrade prices.

Great to hear your experiences with the Fuji which will be my next purchase but not until the next chip.

Cheers...... Victor

algrove

Very interesting thread.

Many of us who currently own the IQ3100 are open to new product suggestions concerning either a 33x44 100MP or an IQ3150. I did like Graham's sports car comment. It seems Don L. has made the switch from Phase to the GFX without issue. Smart move.:salute: Looks like others here have done the same.:salute:

DR is important, but what about sensor size? Do we need 100MP IQ sized sensors for prints in the 24x36 range? Sure I crop when I want, but when I owned the 645Z with that 50MP sensor I never wanted for more MP even though I bought into the IQ3100 for more MP and DR. Will I ever learn? Probably not.:banghead:

Interesting to hear many who own the GFX are not contemplating upgrading their IQ3100 to the IQ3150, but will upgrade to the new GFX100.

Heck I might get the GFX100 too and get the GFX-R and convert it to B&W. Wonder if the R will be a 50MP or 100MP? Then these two bodies could replace my IQ3100 color AND IQ3100 Achromatic with plenty funds left over for more photo travel. :clap:

GrahamWelland

The good news is that these less expensive systems open up the opportunity to consider dedicated full spectrum / B&W converted or lighter travel systems in addition to our fabulous 16bit Phase One systems. I’d like a 100mp achromatic back but these days I can’t justify it. I’m not going to sell off my IQ3100 as it is, well, awesome.

When we can afford it there is always still the allure of knowing that whatever we shoot, the equipment is never going to be the limit. (My attempt at justifying my MFDBs). :thumbs:

And per Victor, my choice is a nice used Aston or an F-Type R vs another camera better than I can justify. :chug: