The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Field backpack with foam

Boinger

A little something I am working on. Never really tried foam in a backpack before. I don't know if it is worth the hassle or not.

But Figured to give it a go for all this expensive stuff.

Opinions from other tech camera users is the foam padding worth it or have the standard camera case dividers been fine ?

20180531_215909.jpg

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
For most systems I wouldn't bother but with the Cambo Actus and other technical cameras the main body shape is tough to fit into a typical divider set up. I managed it with my Actus DB / Phase One IQ3100 setup but it took a few iterations to get to something that I found usable.

Probably the biggest issue I've had with foam set ups is that you inevitably add or change a piece of equipment and then you have to start again.

Boinger

For most systems I wouldn't bother but with the Cambo Actus and other technical cameras the main body shape is tough to fit into a typical divider set up. I managed it with my Actus DB / Phase One IQ3100 setup but it took a few iterations to get to something that I found usable.

Probably the biggest issue I've had with foam set ups is that you inevitably add or change a piece of equipment and then you have to start again.

Yea I was struggling with the placement of the actus in the dividers.

I had some spare foam so I tried it out. Hopefully I don't add too much gear lol.

Although you are a bad influence! so I worry.

Also since I see you have the G version db. How do you like it vs the original actus db/db+

Is it worth the upgrade?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I made the upgrade to the new rear mount because the rear DB standard seemed to be more robust (not that my DB2 version was a problem) plus it also allowed me to use my GFX on the same camera as an alternative to the IQ3100.

personally I think that it’s a great upgrade for me but not essential unless you want more versatility with the camera.

Shashin

I am with Graham on this one. I find foam not very efficient in terms of space. You need to keep a certain amount of foam in order to maintain its rigidity. I guess it is the hard vs soft luggage debate. It looks cool, though.