The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Re: Fuji GSW 645 (Wide) Adaptation.Advice Opinion Wanted.

B L

A challange for all you experts!:)
Is it possible to modify Fuji made compact 645 film cameras to take digital backs? I am thinking about a Fuji with 45mm lens.
Please point me to any source who may be able to modify the camera or make a plate or whatever adaptation so that I can use Phase One P30 back (V Mount).
Thanks. Bashir.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Whilst I can see the appeal of a relatively compact camera it would be a lot of work for I would wager for modest results.

Have you considered a simpler route like a Hasselblad SWC?

Also consider that a P30 might not be ideal for these types of cameras due to the MFDB micro lenses and associated color casts from the closeness of the rear element and lens design.

Shashin

Someone has modified a Mamiya 6 with a Hasselblad V digital back. You can do a search to see some internet forum talk. The problem is the back extends out making the viewfinder really difficult to use. You can make a mod, but it probably isn't worth it.

I agree with Graham that something like an SWC would be a better choice. Or even something like an Alpa TC.

Oren Grad

In case you want to see what it looks like, Koh's Camera is currently offering on eBay a Mamiya 6 with the 50mm lens, and the body modified to accept a V-mount digital back. It does have an eyepiece extender to get around the back-hitting-you-in-the-face problem, though having owned a Mamiya 6 in the past and being very familiar with the handling in its standard form I think the combination would still be awkward.

SK Grimes does custom machine-shop and adaptation tasks for photographers and might be able to do what you want. But in general I agree with Graham and Will about the drawbacks and alternatives.

B L

Thanks to all of you. The modification is not an easy task!