The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phaseone blue ring lens what camera systems other than XF can use them?

BigBoy

I was looking into getting into phaseone but not sure about buying XF don't have the money. Will mamiya or older phaseone digital cameras accept the blue rings like the new 150mm f2.8.

Paul2660

I was looking into getting into phaseone but not sure about buying XF don't have the money. Will mamiya or older phaseone digital cameras accept the blue rings like the new 150mm f2.8.
Camera bodies from Phase like DF or DF+ should work, (DF+ just had a more improved AF system and battery setup)

The Mamiya AFDIII might work, but you would need to check with a dealer. As recall it was the Mamiya version of the P1 DF, but I may have my generations of body crossed. I go all the way back to the AFDIII/P45+

Paul Caldwell

narikin

Confused, you have no funds for an XF, but you do have the $ for a blue ring 150mm?

Try the non BR Phase 150mm AF lens, before spending a fortune on the latest BR version. There's next to nothing between them, and in some focal lengths, the non BR version is the superior (as in sharper) one. That would save you about $3000+ I'd think! Many of the BR features will not function on an earlier generation body so it could well be money down the drain to insist on having the very latest.

Steve Hendrix

Camera bodies from Phase like DF or DF+ should work, (DF+ just had a more improved AF system and battery setup)

The Mamiya AFDIII might work, but you would need to check with a dealer. As recall it was the Mamiya version of the P1 DF, but I may have my generations of body crossed. I go all the way back to the AFDIII/P45+

Paul Caldwell

Thanks Paul.

And that DF+ Auto focus improvement was pretty subtle.

Any Schneider Leaf Shutter Lens designed for a Phase One system will only work on:

Phase One/Mamiya branded DF
Phase One/Mamiya branded DF+
Phase One XF

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Hendrix

Confused, you have no funds for an XF, but you do have the $ for a blue ring 150mm?

Try the non BR Phase 150mm AF lens, before spending a fortune on the latest BR version. There's next to nothing between them, and in some focal lengths, the non BR version is the superior (as in sharper) one. That would save you about $3000+ I'd think! Many of the BR features will not function on an earlier generation body so it could well be money down the drain to insist on having the very latest.

The Blue Ring lenses that appear to have optically superior formulas compared to the previous Schneider non Blue Ring (or Phase/Mamiya D) lenses are:

- Schneider 35mm/3.5 AF LS Blue Ring
- Schneider 45mm/3.5 AF LS Blue Ring
- Schneider 150mm/2.8 AF LS Blue Ring

In our testing, the 150mm/2.8 Blue Ring is superior optically to the 150mm/3.5 version. However, the 150/3.5 still is a valid lens due to its relatively compact size and weight (and cost!). It does perform well, but suffers more from aberrations than the 150mm/2.8.

Steve Hendrix/CI