The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P30+ and bellows?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have a Mamiya 645 bellows, the old version with tilt/shift/swing which was my reason for buying it. I'm going to use it for macro and product photography, and the original plan was to use a Nikon FX body or even a m4/3 body with adapters. However, I'm rather convinced that the old Mamiya lenses (80mm f/4 Macro on its way, 120mm will come later) will offer better results with a larger sensor. To add insult to injury, a 645 Pro body plus a couple of lenses (80mm f/1.9 and 150mm f/3.5) stumbled onto my desk last year plus some film holders etc.... you see where this is heading, don't you.

Then I found that used P1 DF bodies with P30+ are becoming very reasonably priced these days, and I thought, how about attaching one of those to my bellows and maybe take it out for a spin among ordinary people now and then, when I feel that I should carry something heavy?

However, that back ha microlenses and I've read on earlier threads about this back that it doesn't match well with technical cameras. Have anybody tried it with bellows and movements? The distance from lens to back will obviously be much longer with this combo. On the other side, the movements can be rather dramatic if utilised fully.

Anybody?

MartinN

I can't comment on microlenses and extreme movement,
but I congratulate you on aquiring Mamiya stuff.
With todays prices on used MF stuff it's really easy to go
into the 'BUY' mode. I suffer from that myself.

MartinN

By the way I tried macro with the GX680 and 250mm lens and Raynox macro converters.
My opinions were that it's difficult to macro with a big film frame and the bigger the more difficult.
However I was surprised at the good quality that the Raynox converters produced and those allowed
me to do macro without increasing the bellows throw. But I'm certainly not into extreme macro on 6x8.
Those damn stability problems....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
By the way I tried macro with the GX680 and 250mm lens and Raynox macro converters.
My opinions were that it's difficult to macro with a big film frame and the bigger the more difficult.
However I was surprised at the good quality that the Raynox converters produced and those allowed
me to do macro without increasing the bellows throw. But I'm certainly not into extreme macro on 6x8.
Those damn stability problems....
In my experience, the 100mm is the GX680 lens most suitable for close-ups, but I haven't tried the longest lenses for that, and as you say, extreme macro isn't easy with the large format. I don't have a digital back for the GX680, and Hasselblad plus Sinar are the ones that are best suited for that. A Hasselblad back in M645 mount plus converter to GX680 is another possible solution, usable for both cameras, but I'm not even sure I'm interested in doing digital with the big Fuji. The crop factor is enormous, and it isn't really a run-and-gun camera :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member