The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Phocus Mobile for remote X1D Shutter release?

fotophil

I enjoy working with HDR exposure bracketing and the recent X1D firmware addition of auto bracketing is a welcome feature. Unfortunately the firmware also removed the ability to use the self timer function in conjunction with auto bracketing. The removal of the self timer function probably was not intentional but may be due to system limitations that can't fixed by additional firmware changes. The absence of a hard wire remote release for the X1D has been public knowledge since the camera was announced several years ago and since Hasselblad has been unable to develop support for such device despite an outcry probably means that firmware changes can not solve the problem.

The Phocus Mobile Software is supposed to offer the ability of remote shutter release via a connection of the the X1D WiFi and a cellphone. I am very hopeful that this solution will work and am looking for field experience using the Hasselblad Phocus Mobile for establishing a remote shutter release on the X1D Camera. I am concerned about camera battery drain due to the WiFi, connection reliability and overall utility in the field.

tcdeveau

I've used it before. It works as it should but I found there were some quirks, such as sometimes the app wouldn't show the same camera settings as the camera, and the long exposure timer on the rear LCD wouldn't display. It's been awhile since I've used it as I started using self-timer instead because it was simpler and easier. They may have made updates to the app, and I got a new phone since, but I need to try it out again. One thing I've noticed is that phocus mobile doesn't like it when you pair with the camera and then put the phone to sleep, and then open the app back up. I'd just get out and test it yourself and see if works for your purposes.

Not good to hear self-timer mode is gone. I didn't do the latest X1D FW update yet, and I may skip it so I can keep using the self-timer.

fotophil

The new firmware did not remove the self timer function - it only prevents the self timer to be used in conjunction with the new auto bracketing feature. The self timer still works fine. Thanks for the Phocus Info. I will try it since I don't see any other another options for remote shutter release. It continues to amaze me that the Hasselblad Designers did not included provisions for remote shutter release in the initial X1D configuration. You have to wonder what they were thinking (or better said "not thinking"). A innovative camera design flawed with a stupid decision regarding shutter release.

jng

My experience is similar. It works fine, until it doesn't. Sometimes the camera settings show, sometimes they don't. Some shoots have gone off without a hitch, others resulted in an irreversibly dropped connection. The phone going to sleep seems to cause the connection to drop, but I don't have enough experience to state this with certainty. Recycling/rebooting the camera and/or phone can be frustrating and even out of the question when the light is changing quickly. As far as I know my iPhone Phocus app is fully up to date (no updates were listed the last time I checked) so I think this is just a weak link until Hasselblad (hopefully) updates their app and in-camera firm/software.

John

tcdeveau

The new firmware did not remove the self timer function - it only prevents the self timer to be used in conjunction with the new auto bracketing feature. The self timer still works fine. Thanks for the Phocus Info. I will try it since I don't see any other another options for remote shutter release. It continues to amaze me that the Hasselblad Designers did not included provisions for remote shutter release in the initial X1D configuration. You have to wonder what they were thinking (or better said "not thinking"). A innovative camera design flawed with a stupid decision regarding shutter release.
Thanks for the clarification.

I think they wanted to keep the system simple and basic, but remote shutter releases are about as simple as they come as far as accessories are concerned. I've been requesting a remote shutter release from them as early as the X1D demo I attended in 2016. Maybe if we keep requesting it they'll do something about it. I saw something on one of their subpages in the FAQs on the Hasselblad website awhile ago that they were not planning on making one and they expected third parties to do so. I'm still surprised there aren't any generic usb-c shutter releases from china that we could try. There's a Hasselblad-sponsored event in my city next week I plan on attending and I'll bug the representatives about it some more. The self-timer works for me, but a wired remote would be nice too.

I've been wondering if its possible to trigger the camera via the hotshoe with a nikon-compatible pocket wizard or something like that but haven't been able to test it out myself

sog1927

Unfortunately the firmware also removed the ability to use the self timer function in conjunction with auto bracketing. The removal of the self timer function probably was not intentional but may be due to system limitations that can't fixed by additional firmware changes.
Ming Thein says that's a bug. I'd expect them to fix it fairly soon. I'd expect a firmware release that supports the next round of lenses (and cleans up some of the bugs) pretty soon - maybe they'll take care of it then.

The absence of a hard wire remote release for the X1D has been public knowledge since the camera was announced several years ago and since Hasselblad has been unable to develop support for such device despite an outcry probably means that firmware changes can not solve the problem.
I just don't believe this. It's already possible to trigger the camera through the USB port when it's tethered. I don't know how complicated the protocol between Phocus and the camera is, but it should still be possible to develop a dedicated release that can duplicate the firing sequence. There's definitely a market there, and I'd expect some bright young fellow in China to reverse-engineer the protocol any day now if Hasselblad doesn't provide a solution.

The Phocus Mobile Software is supposed to offer the ability of remote shutter release via a connection of the the X1D WiFi and a cellphone. I am very hopeful that this solution will work and am looking for field experience using the Hasselblad Phocus Mobile for establishing a remote shutter release on the X1D Camera. I am concerned about camera battery drain due to the WiFi, connection reliability and overall utility in the field.
It works, it just doesn't work real well in my experience. I've been a software engineer for four decades and I think the user interface of the Phocus app is pretty horrible. Why does the "live view" button look like a "play" button? Why does it do the exact opposite if the similar button on the camera???? What do all those cryptic icons actually do? Why can't you display settings and live view at the same time???? I can understand that space is tight on an iPhone screen (but you could still float them over the live view), but you can't even do it on an iPad. It's confusing and very counter-intuitive. The Phocus app team needs to read this book: https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Make-Me-Think-Usability/dp/0321344758#reader_0321344758

Yes, it's about web design - but the usability principles he talks about apply to any UI.

And yes, it drops connections. Not real often in my experience, but enough to be quite annoying. Using WiFi in the camera really seems to shorten battery life, too.

It's a nice concept, but they really need to work on execution. It's still not a substitute for a wired release.

sog1927

I think they wanted to keep the system simple and basic, but remote shutter releases are about as simple as they come as far as accessories are concerned. I've been requesting a remote shutter release from them as early as the X1D demo I attended in 2016. Maybe if we keep requesting it they'll do something about it. I saw something on one of their subpages in the FAQs on the Hasselblad website awhile ago that they were not planning on making one and they expected third parties to do so. I'm still surprised there aren't any generic usb-c shutter releases from china that we could try. There's a Hasselblad-sponsored event in my city next week I plan on attending and I'll bug the representatives about it some more. The self-timer works for me, but a wired remote would be nice too.
Yeah, I saw that comment in the FAQ as well - and I'm really surprised nobody has done it yet. The self-timer certainly works for a lot of use cases, but there are times when you want to fire when the light is right (not 5 seconds *after* the light is right - or 10, depending on how robust your tripod is). And, of course, the people who want to use bracketing can't use this approach until the firmware's fixed.

I've been wondering if its possible to trigger the camera via the hotshoe with a nikon-compatible pocket wizard or something like that but haven't been able to test it out myself
Just because they've duplicated the TTL interface for flash doesn't mean you can fire the camera that way. I'd be concerned about damaging either the trigger or (much worse) the camera, depending on the voltages involved (which I don't know). At the very least I'd contact the trigger manufacturer for information before trying this.

fotophil

It is sad and arrogant if Hasselblad actually stated without explanation that they would not add a remote release capability to the X1D. Based upon the amount requests that have been made since Day One by both users and potential customers they have to be aware of the almost universal desire for a reliable remote shutter release capability. I wonder if there some technical reason that there is no remote release?

If Hasselblad really hopes that a third party will create a wired release, they should offer some guidance pertaining the electronic circuits associated with the shutter release. Blind attempts to reverse engineer the system might result in some damaged X1D circuit boards (or worse) during the development phase. As an alternative Hasselblad could do the work themselves and sell the official X1D wire remote for a outlandish price like they did on the X1D battery charger! Like the battery chargers, there would probably a bunch of buyers.

Until I explore the Phocus Mobil WiFi remote shutter release technique I am stuck with a manual operation I have set the exposure compensation to automatically cancel such that I can use the self timer to shoot my first image at-2 EV and since the compensation is automatically cancelled the second image is automatically shot a 0 EV followed by manually setting the compensation to +2 EV for the third image. Sure would be nice to automate the process.

bab

O can you bracket with +1/2, +1, +1 1/2 or 2, if not it’s not an acceptable bracketing functionality.

fotophil

Since I am doing manually controlled bracketing, the combination number of exposures and exposure increment is pretty open. In my specific case I am doing HDR bracketing and have found the combination of -2, 0 and +2 to be useful in many instances.

bab

Since I am doing manually controlled bracketing, the combination number of exposures and exposure increment is pretty open. In my specific case I am doing HDR bracketing and have found the combination of -2, 0 and +2 to be useful in many instances.
Yep they way I worked for the last two decades, meet auto bracketing your way...hit the wall on the histogram and then with one tap shoot 1-7 exposures at lower shutter speeds. Or find the neutral exposure and shoot 1-3 stops over, I find that for the shadows only one image is needof my images. The real trick is not to blow the highlights.

fotophil

I am able to connect my X1D and iPhone using Phocus Mobil. The remote shutter release function works but unfortunately it does not seem to support the auto bracketing function. When I set the auto bracket to a 3 shot series of -2, 0,+2, pressing the iPhone release button takes one shot at -2 and stops. Pushing the iPhone button a second time results in another exposure at -2 and pushing a third time results in another -2 exposure. If I use the X1D shutter release button, one push results in a sequence to the three exposures -2, 0, +2. Can someone else please verify this behavior?

fotophil

Now I know that Phocos Mobile is not a solution to my desire for a remote shutter function supported by auto bracket! Next up is the wired remote. In a X1D FAQ Hasselblad indicated that although they would not add a cable release to the X1Dthey said that a potential solution would be a third party wired release using the USB connection. I wonder if Hasselblad would provide the USB configuration to a third party supplier like Vello (one of B&H's third party suppliers of wired releases) or the various suppliers on E-bay that have has such items for Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc. but none specifically for the X1D. Any electronic wizards around that have already tried to build a release? Any ideas?

fotophil

I contacted the New Jersey Hasselblad Office regarding upgrading of Phocus Mobile Software to include support for auto bracketing. They sent me a favorable response as follows: "Yes, I contacted the factory and they confirmed that it is flagged as a request, but there is no eta. The public will be informed if we release a firmware that has this feature."

I suggest that all X1D Users that desire to use Phocus contact Hasselblad ASAP.

bab

That is a standard answer...I’ve heard it twenty times.

When you get a response like it will be included in the next ver of firmware then you can be assured you will see it within a 6 month period.

As I mentioned before the Squares at Hasselblad don’t see auto bracketing as an important feature other than what has been provided.

PedroL

Yeah, I saw that comment in the FAQ as well - and I'm really surprised nobody has done it yet. The self-timer certainly works for a lot of use cases, but there are times when you want to fire when the light is right (not 5 seconds *after* the light is right - or 10, depending on how robust your tripod is). And, of course, the people who want to use bracketing can't use this approach until the firmware's fixed.

Just because they've duplicated the TTL interface for flash doesn't mean you can fire the camera that way. I'd be concerned about damaging either the trigger or (much worse) the camera, depending on the voltages involved (which I don't know). At the very least I'd contact the trigger manufacturer for information before trying this.
I tried to stay away from this particular "missdesign" conversations as I had asked dozens of times to somehow add cable release to X1D, from former president of Hasselblad to anyone who was willing to listen. On the very end I was forced to replace X1D with GFX for use with Roundshot VR drive as Roundshot is major part of my business . We are working with a client who might be purchasing couple of dozens of those set ups, and even the loss of number of X1D sales doesn't help. If you have a cable release solution for X1D, I would like to know it.

fotophil

I am modifying a U Clamp Bracket originally manufactured for a Nikon Coolpix 995 Camera (yes even Nikon once screwed-up up and built a camera without a cable release) which was made without a cable release socket. The bottom leg of the U attaches to the camera tripod mount and the top leg of the bracket accepts a standard threaded cable release fitting. The bracket was sized so that the cable release pin pushes down on the camera shutter release button.

In addition to resizing the U bracket, the part of of my modification is to incorporate an air release mechanism that uses a rubber squeeze bulb connected with a length of soft rubber hose - similar to what to be used on the old Packard view camera shutters. I am afraid the set-up may be a bit bulky but I won't really know until I am finished but it sure won't be as nice as an electronic wire release.

I will post my finding when complete.

fotophil

I found a commercial universal cable release attachment bracket on E-bay for $25. It is bulky but it might be an alternative for those not wanting to build their own. E-bay item number is 191551889481

bab

No Cable Release needed

So from the beginning Ossting had a dream to have a small portable Medium Format camera body with a 30mm and 45mm lens and be walking down Avenyn or "Kungsportsavenyn" in Gothenburg wearing a leather jacket, skinny jeans, scarf, bubble back Rolex, distressed boots, and Louis Vuitton backpack carrying a Hasselblad X1D. Going just past the fountain at dusk, the COOL DUDE raises the camera to his eye OH! but wait the camera is not on so he turns it on and waits for a moment or two, then removes the lens cover and camera in hand set to "P" he presses the shutter release BAM! its an image worthy of the likes of Ansel Adams, how sweet it is.

To be fair the Hasselblad staff says to Ossting "Oh but wait we don't have enough lenses, our firmware is buggy, we are not finished with our firmware upgrades, we don't have face or eye recognition or enough focus points, there is no way to trigger the leaf shutter in the V lens by the camera.Most importantly the sound of the camera when taking a picture is like something in the inside is broken, the camera looks amazing but that sound makes it cheap. How can we sell this thing when you cant turn off the back screen and the alfa testers are complaining the camera is not reliable...and there is no cable release. Ossitng "we also don't have enough parts to make more than twenty cameras anyway so all of that doesn't matter". "Just release the damm thing and see if it sells then will worry about fixing everything...but the cable release. When I get back from my summer vacation I'll sell most of the company to the Chinese and let them worry about all all the rest of the issues.

Oh and tell all the reviewers to be kind to us and we will treat them really nice if they want to purchase one of our demo units!