The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

West Palm Beach, Florida

Hausen

I don’t want to offend anyone but I am heading to West Palm Beach, Florida in late July for a couple of weeks training for a new business I have bought. Would anyone be able to tell me whether it is safe enough to carry my X1D? My normal style is early morning near water, under bridges or near the Lakes/Beaches. Won’t be near the tourist areas much. Google seems to say Florida is pretty dangerous and I just have no idea.

Abstraction

My mom lives in West Palm Beach. It's a very safe town. She goes everywhere and she has never had any issues. She's in her 80's, she's never concerned about her safety.

Knorp

:OT: "near water, under bridges or near the Lakes/Beaches" - Mind you: the place is swamped with gators, I'm sure they don't care much for your X1D, but boy - do they care for you ... :ROTFL:

Hausen

Being a Kiwi I am used to Crocs in Aussie so Gators I knew about😀

:OT: "near water, under bridges or near the Lakes/Beaches" - Mind you: the place is swamped with gators, I'm sure they don't care much for your X1D, but boy - do they care for you ... :ROTFL:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I spent 14 years studying where to photograph near west palm beach . We have a home in Jupiter FL . Best source of information was Fotofusion an annual photography event in WPB each January . You can see where they focused their field trips.

In July you have choices between landscape /seascape and street shooting in a classical old Florida style . I am primarily a street shooter and found that Hollywood Beach or South Beach near Miami to be far superior locations ..yet within an hour drive of WPB . You are also about 1 1/2 hours from the Everglades (Loop Road on the North Side near Clyde Butchers ) .

There are also some excellent examples in the large format section of this forum shot near WPB.

Its very easy to use Google Maps and search for photographs to understand an area before you go .

If you enjoy old Florida ...head up to the Breakers for lunch or over to Worth avenue to watch the shoppers . Although in July you will find only tourists ....:watch:

tcdeveau

I get a kick out of the often ridiculous news stories that come out of Florida local news but you’ll be fine :)

Side note: one thing I like about the X1D is how unobtrusive it is. Usually when I’m out and about with it the only people that even notice it are fellow photographers.

stngoldberg

During the winter months, during daylight I photograph all over WPB with my medium format Hassey/Phase One outfit without incident..I have been doing this for over 20 years.
However, in the last few years there have been some occurrences at night that give me pause, particularly on palm beach lakes blvd between route 95 and the intercostal...also in the riviera beach area.
Stanley

Hausen

Thanks everyone for the replies. Spent yesterday looking a 'won't kill me if I lose it' systems yesterday. Happy that the X1D can travel so I won't need to waste the money or the time.

Shashin

I would not worry about it too much. If you just practice good judgement, you will be fine. And yes, stop watching local news...